“A Wonderful Resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“A Wonderful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We spent last week at the resort,played golf every other day and visited Tubac,Old Tucson,the Titan II Missile Site/Museum and Pima Air Museum/"Boneyard". The property is set below the santa catalina mountains and the colors change throughout the day. Excellent room with easy access to the many pools and hot tubs. Also,enjoyed the water slide! Staff was great,at the course (Vinny and Paul) and at the Country Club, where we ate breakfast almost every morning. I think that this would be a tremendous place to hold a meeting,something for everyone. Special thanks to Ale in the lounge for being so welcoming and attentive. All in all I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: We stayed close to the Country Club,easy parking and close to Golf Course.
Green Features: They will ask if you would be interested in skipping the linen service,we took advantage of this program.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed our staff, location and amenities while staying at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. You had a full schedule and I’m sure there are many more attractions you would like to see in Tucson. I hope to see you soon enjoying another round of golf and dining at the club, as well as an evening beverage in the AZuL Lounge. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a wonderful time staying at this hotel for a conference. The service was great all around, the food was tasty, and I had exceptional service from William Arce at our welcome reception the first evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
William and I thank you for sharing how he provided outstanding service to begin your conference at La Paloma. I, along with the rest of our staff, look forward to welcoming you back for business and/or pleasure. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Property recently was renovated and is beautiful. Rooms (Building c) where we stayed overlooks the golf course. Room was clean and felt new. Enjoyed a breakfast and lunch at Azul and food was very good and a nice presentation. Spent the afternoon at the pool(s), nicely spread out for privacy. In the evening, sat outside by the fire fountains and just enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course, upper level.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of our renovations, dining and the ambiance of our Resort. As fall approaches, I look forward to see you once more relaxing in the evening by our fire pits with the Catalina Mountains as your backdrop. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had to travel to Tucson on business and have been to several nicer Starwood hotels around the country but what made this one was the size of the rooms, the views from the pool area and from your room looking down at the pool, and most importantly - the people. I had some personal things I needed to get mailed and Jose at the front desk really went the extra mile in helping me mail those things. He was very pleasant in every interaction and extremely helpful as I did not know the surrounding area or the layout of the resort. I want to commend Westin la Paloma for investing in great people - it really stood out in my mind.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing how Jose added to your stay by his friendly, personalized assistance. Our staff genuinely enjoys interacting with each guest, providing a memorable stay for all. I look forward to having you return and let us treat you once more to a great vacation. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We went for our 37th wedding anniversary, and they made us feel special putting Champange and chocolate covered strawberries in our room while we were out! The room was nice and the bed was wonderful! I have a hard time sleeping and I slept very well.The room we were in was quite a walk for me but they came in a golf cart if I needed to get to the car. The only thing is their bathtubs are really narrow, I was unable to take a bath but the showers are great. Loved ALL the staff! I WILL be back!

• Stayed September 2013
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
You are special and we are delighted you chose The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa as your destination for your 37th Anniversary. Thank you for sharing and I hope to have you return for your next anniversary, if not sooner. Our staff will be here to ensure another wonderful stay. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here towards the end of July on a business trip. it was not my first time in Tucson but it was the first time staying here. We were all able to book our rooms between $95 - $110 a night (depended on day of booking) and this place did not disappoint. This is a fabulous price if nothing else is going on in Tucson I'd stay here again over anywhere else.

The hotel is a bit hard to find and apparently the guard shack across the street said about 30 people a day need help finding it.. apparently my wrong turn was not a surprise, thank you google maps and external GPS in my car. The hotel is close to Foothills and lots of shopping and dining. Don't bother with a GPS -- it's a straight shot from the airport and since GPS is messed up anyway not worth it! I'd recommend calling the hotel and getting directions.

The property is well taken care of and I wish that I had been here on vacation so I could have used the slide/pool and actually enjoyed the place. The pool area looked amazing though (and my co-workers had stayed here previously and said the pool and swim up bar are great). The starbucks in the lobby had friendly staff - it's not a full starbucks so the choices are limited as far as syrups go, but they have a great selection of items if you're in a hurry for breakfast. We spent several nights in the Lobby Lounge Azul- service was a bit slow, but the food was good and it is a very comfortable place to relax or work. It's open late which was great for us.

TIPS:

The resort itself is spread out so take advantage of the golf carts to get a ride to your room with your luggage. It's worth a few bucks in tips to avoid lugging it up the hills. The rooms are beautiful and very spacious - the bed was so comfortable I did not want to get up.

Some of the rooms have great views - some overlook a hwy as did mine (10), but it was fairly quite and did not bother me.

Don't bother with valet parking - there is TONS of free parking - in an upper and lower level. To access upper level parking ignore the first sign into the place that says self serve parking. There is another drive way a short ways up that makes it a breeze to get your luggage up to the hotel. If you do park on lower level (I did this since I didn't know there was an upper level) there is an elevator so it's still easy).

Request a room on the top floor. The only reason why I'm not giving this place 5 stars is because the room noise was so annoying from the person above me - footsteps. Place needs way better insulation. No noise between units, but no idea if anyone was staying next to me either. I stayed in building F bottom floor so maybe other units are better? If you do get a bottom floor room check to make sure the slider is locked when you get in your room. Mine was unlocked and this bothered me a great deal.. just never know.

Shower in the room: Is very lovely with several sprays.. however.. be advised that when you turn the shower on if the overhead is turned off, water MAY spray out of the shower and all over the place depending on the direction of the nozzel on the side! This is not pleasant but will wake you up in a hurry. This is hard to explain but if you stay here you will figure out what I mean. Don't leave anything in front of the shower that you don't want to get wet (shoes).. the glass door doesn't create a good seal so you'll need to wipe up water no matter what.

Don't be shocked by the mice, lizards and yes even tarantulas on the property. I saw all of them.. some dead, some not. Remember you are in the desert.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor
Green Features: I did take advantage of the Spa's environmentally friendly practice, but not sure I'd do it again. They mentioned something about getting $5.00 off a night for use in the bar or maybe off room bill (not sure which) however none of those things happened.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you noted we have many dining venues available thru out the Resort, with varying hours to meet your schedule. I wish you could have had time to enjoy the pool area along with a round of golf during your time with us. As it appears you had early morning meetings during this business trip, on your next visit for pleasure, I recommend trying a relaxing breakfast at AzuL or the La Paloma Country Club Patio. I’m holding you to your word and expect to see you back the next time you are in Tucson. Stay well, Glenn Sampert
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you planning to go to Tucson, this is THE property to stay at. It's situated on the North end of Tucson at an elevation that overlooks the city. Sunrises & sunsets over the surrounding mountains are equally breathtaking. It's newly appointed with a luxurious contemporary feel. The property offers delicious eating/dining options (Starbucks on premise) It has convenient parking. It has Wi-Fi. The property offers something for everyone-- golf, spa, tennis, pool (with a spiral slide). No matter what the occassion is for going to Tucson, I would make this property my first call. It's the only call you will have to make. This is not your average hotel stay....its a destination experience within a destination! I travel alot, and not just Tucson, but throughout the US. This property is a favorite. I am sure it will be yours too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
As you travel extensively, and you have many choices of destinations, I am delighted to read La Paloma is a favorite. Thank you for sharing and I hope you will be back soon to enjoy the mountain views while dining at the pool or AZuL. Be Well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Been to Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!