“New La Paloma” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Surprise, Arizona
“New La Paloma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stay in Tucson every year for the ACTEAZ summer conference. I have chosen to stay at the Westin La Paloma over "that other resort" every year for the last 4 summers. I have also been lucky enough to stay there for the FCCLA spring conference the past two years. I absolutely love this property and the staff. They always go above and beyond! This year I had the pleasure of staying in one of the newly renovated rooms. The new look is absolutely beautiful and so classy. I had a breathtaking mountain view and the amenities are wonderful. Peter Mnatzagania took wonderful care of me. He was so attentive to detail and my every need. I could not have asked for a better experience! I will continue to stay at the Westin and look forward to working with Peter and Angela Bush in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Kat L,

Thank you for your continued business and loyalty at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms and that our staff helped make your staff memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything about my stay here was mediocre. It wasn't spectacular and it wasn't bad. It would have been a 3 star but for the fact that the hotel is branding had both the word "Westin" and "Resort" in it, and charges like one... but doesn't deliver

The buildings are scattered on the grounds, and when you arrive at your building, you're greeted by some extremely loud elevators (try not to get a room near them) Beside the elevators which are outdoors, are very loud ice machines. The whole thing had an odd motel feel to it.

As noted by other travelers, the rooms are dated. The guest rooms themselves are decently sized, but seem to require updating of carpets, plumbing. You're sufficiently far away from the main roads that you don't hear any noise. However, due to the distribution of the buildings and the location of the parking lot, you'll be walking quite a bit if you self-park.

The shared space (lobby, restaurants, etc.) are extremely well presented. However, the same couldn't be said of rooms. The complementary breakfast was decently made, but it was next to impossible to get attention from the wait staff.

All this would have made the hotel a solid 3. But this is a "westin resort", and charges according to that title. That's where I have the bump the hotel down a point because it doesn't hold a candle to the other Westins I've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa last April 2012. We would like to invite you back to experience our $35 million resort wide renovation where you will find everything from the guestrooms to the pool to the fitness center completely redesigned. Our guestrooms now boast modern upgrades and the newest signature touches from Westin.

As our resort-wide transformation is near complete, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. We are confident that you will be quite amazed and delighted with all that has transpired.
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel has been recently renovated and is lovely. The event planner Donal Drayne was well organized and very helpful and thoughtful while planning our rehearsal dinner for 90. The setting was lovely and the food and drink wonderful. Great place to throw a party.

Room Tip: Room on the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Jean B,

Congratulations on your wedding! We are thrilled to hear that you found our event staff to be helpful and thoughtful and we hope everyone enjoyed the rehearsal dinner.

Glendale California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the la Paloma several times, this was the first time we stayed in a remodeled suite. We used SPG points and had a third floor suite that had a mountain, golf course and city view. You could not ask for more. The remodeling was well done, the room was clean and in good repair. The bed was very comfortable. I liked the fact that there were two bathrooms as my 89 year old mother in law was with us. There was plenty of room for the three of us.
She is confined to a wheelchair, and when I packed I forgot the foot rests. They hotel had a similar wheelchair, and they made it available at no cost. We were treated well by all of the staff. They went out of there way to be helpful with my mother in law. Even thought the property is large we had no problems with wheel chair access. In the bar area their is a small elevator for handicapped access. I would recommend the La Paloma to any on traveling with a handicapped person
We had appetizers at the bar and they were very good, along with some out standing adult beverages. We just had a great time and we look forward to our next visit

Room Tip: The corner rooms generally have the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear George91206,

Thank you for your continued loyalty and business at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms and suites and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly during your recent stay.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at the Westin hotel a conferece in Tucson. Although I am a SPG platinum member, it was my first stay at a Westin hotel. And I was pleasantly surprised.
First, I have to mention that I did not expect anything from Tucson. But it is a town in a very beautiful setting. Very outdoorish mentality. Loved it, unexpectedly. Would love to come back!
Second, I also have to state that I am a big fan of Tripadvisor. I read most reviews of the hotels that I am travelling to, and like to post a lot of reviews myself. Having said that, I am very sceptic of some of the very positive reviews here. In contrast to other hotels, many of the raving Tripadvisor reviews rating this hotel as excellent have been written by persons that just posted only one review, sometimes combined with a review of the very average restaurant. I do not want to insinuate anything, but I have the strong impression that some hotel staff (or relatives) may be behind these many positive reviews. And it is a pitty as they should not do that since the hotel is pretty fine.
Third, beware that the pool area is currently under construction. They have a large, albeit uninteresting pool available at the nearby La Paloma club for the hotel guests. Just wanted to make sure that you know that, so you may want to delay your stay at this hotel until construction is finished. I am sure it will be pretty nice.

I list here the pros, as I could not really find any contras in the hotel (besides my check-out bill being not correct, not receiving one wake up call, and the main restaurant being far from a memorable gastronomic experience):
-Location : looking out the mountains, overlooking a golf terrain, not too far (by car) from shops and restaurants.
-Staff : very kind, very helpful
-Room : recently renovated an truly a great room. Soft bed, nice balcony, lots of space, lovely bathroom. Ask for a room overlooking the sunset.
-Green program : they award their guests for being green, and that was a first for me (not having your room cleaned means you will get a 5 US $ discount voucher for food, or 500 SPG points which you can convert to airmiles).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Talula001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. While we apologize our pool was under renovation during your stay, we are happy to hear that Tucson and our resort exceeded your expectations.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The resort location in the Foothills is just gorgeous. Our newly renovated room was so tastefully decorated. The king size bed was fabulous. The towels were plush and even my husband was impressed by the new square shower head. The views in the lobby are impressive and the staff members were pleasant and helpful. This was my third stay and I plan to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MMRAZ,

Thank you for your continued patronage at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are delighted you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and that our Heavenly beds and showerhead exceeded your expectations.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the resort March 2-6. The staff at La Paloma lined up golf, dinner outings and catered to our every need. Both Paul and Vinnie (golf starters) were of great help to our group in coordinating golf as well as offering helpful tips. The golf courses were in immaculate conditon, and the use of the country club pool and facilities helped accomodate our group with the main pool under renovation. All in all, a perfect trip!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly and that you were able to experience our newly rejuvenated golf course.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!