“Westin la Paloma, a nice break” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 127 hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shelton, Connecticut
“Westin la Paloma, a nice break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed for three nights after a business trip to Tucson. Used cash and points, room 519 starwood floor. Wish we had a mountain view rather than city, but room location was central to pools, main lobby, restaurants, and parking. At check in provided option of cleaning room daily or opting for $5 per day food/beverage credit or 500 Starwood points. We took the points. Hotel is apparently under new owners, staff seems pleased with this. $15 per day parking is ridiculous, just self park and bellman will drive to meet you as you park and take you to your room. Bellman gave a wonderful guided tour of property, showing shortest path to pool, golf, etc. very helpful!
Room was clean, bathroom a little dated, but clean. Toilet would not stop running and ultimately would not flush. Maintenance fixed while we were out for day. Heavenly bed was comfortable, all rooms have a balcony, coffee maker, and frig for drinks/water only (the bellman warned it is not cold enough for food). room had new large flat screen tv with many stations.
We had breakfast in Azul, be aware they serve until 11am, however we arrived at 10 and were told the buffet was closed at 10. I opted for normal eggs but my husband had the Mediterranean skillet which was delicious.
We had dinner in Janos sat night. Too bad new Westin owners would not agree to keep their proposed new menu. Service was excellent, food different and tasty. My husband's lamb came out cold, but was quickly remedied. Wine selection good, overall and very good meal.
Pool area could be bigger. Friday was quiet but it is obvious a weekend crowd shows up sat. Crowded sat and sun, lots of kids, but each day we were able to find chairs. Wait service fairly good. Everyone very friendly and interested to serve you.
Overall a great value for the money, comfortable and beautiful area!
Try the Westin, you should not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for view of mountains and upper floor, close to pool or lobby if you don't want to walk a lo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you for choosing La Paloma for your business trip to Tucson. We are excited with the renewal plans for our resort. We’d like to see you soon to let us show you all that we will have rejuvenated since your last visit. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

1,603 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I love staying at this resort. This was my third visit in the past year, and it feels like home, only with better views, food and service! Every staff member asks you to please let them know if you need anything, and then proves that they mean it.

On this trip I booked 2 rooms on separate reservations. Before I left I home, I received a call from Dawn who anticipated all my requests. First, she checked to make sure I hadn't accidentally booked a second room, then asked whether I preferred double or king beds, and adjoining rooms

At check-in, Jose greeted me at the front desk, remembering me from my last visit, and making me feel welcome with his usual blend of warmth, efficiency, and charm. He made sure my rooms were exactly what I requested, and sent my family a special treat.

Have you ever hugged your housekeeper at a hotel? I have, and her name is Juana. She kept our rooms immaculate and supplied with everything we needed. She is one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, and even helped my wife practice her Spanish!

At Azul Restaurant and Lounge, servers Ashley and Jordan are two recent U of A graduates who worked their way through college. They are smart, funny, hard-working, and always friendly and helpful. They do a great job helping people make food and drink decisions, and communicating special requests to the kitchen.

Another staff member who remembered my last visit was Daniel Figueroa, formerly a Supervisor at Azul, and now the Housekeeping Manager. He again took the time to make sure I was having a good stay, and asked me to please let him know if I needed anything.

On this trip we had a lot of luggage, and all I can say is thank you to EVERYONE out front who helped us carry our bags back and forth to our room. You also offer the best tips for enjoying Tucson.

As always, a special thank you to Executive Assistant to the General Manager Deb Stephenson, who treats us like we are family.

If you like to be treated like family when you stay at a resort, then the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa is the place for you!

Room Tip: Rooms in A & C wings have beautiful sunset views; G & H wings are best for those who like to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty and for your posting about the many associates who created your loyalty. We all look forward to having you and your family return. Each and every time you visit we will make another personal connection that will make you feel even more at home. As always, Deb or Dawn are just one phone call away ready to assist. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We recently stayed at The Westin La Paloma in Tuscon, Arizona.
Although old- the resort is quite beautiful and with its impending renovations, the hotel will surely be a must stay for all those coming to Tuscon. The staff is friendly and really cares about your well being. Aside from the rude members of the valet- everyone at the La Paloma really cares for the well being of the guests. In particular, Nick at the Azul restaurant gave us quality service. We were preparing to leave and he took our order in advance and made sure that we were able to eat in a timely fashion and not have to worry about catching our ride to Phoenix. He put the order through for us over the phone and had it waiting when we arrived at the wonderful 'Azul' restaurant.
I would highly recommend this resort for anyone with a family. The numerous pools and friendly staff- make it a highly relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting how Nick went above and beyond your expectations. I’m anxious for you to see our guest room renovations and relax once again by the pools. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I spent a long weekend at LaPaloma this April for a wedding, and was totally delighted by the experience. I had a gorgeous room overlooking the mountains. Several times over the course of the weekend, I had to call to ask for things I'd forgotten, which I saw they would provide in the guest information - silly things like a comb, and sewing kit, etc., and LaPaloma was happy to oblige my every (seemingly annoying) request, and I so appreciate that.

I had breakfast every morning at the hotel, partly because it was so lovely the first morning. I was coming from the east coast, and was up very early, and the restaurant was just so charming, and the staff - despite the early hour - was so friendly, and willing to accommodate any request.

The fitness center was far better than most of the others I've ever encountered at hotels, and the locker room was very well equipped.

All in all, I had nothing but pleasure at LaPaloma, and will be staying there any time I return to Tucson.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay for a long weekend while attending a wedding at La Paloma. I’m glad you enjoyed the fitness center, as this was the first of many renovation projects, which has been completed. I hope to see you back for a vacation in the near future. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Dorr, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I just got back from the EntreLeadership Conference at the Westin La Paloma. We were so impressed by the staff and attention to detail and incredible service they offered! They did a fantastic job while catering to the needs of the conference and the food was awesome!
Not only was the service first rate, but everyone was so friendly and helpful and really made us feel special. We were able to have many conversations and interactions with Kendra Howard, one of the managers of the AZUL restaurant. She was very accommodating and friendly and took a genuine interest in us. We truly enjoyed our week there and would love to come back sometime with our family as well. Great place to visit!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing La Paloma for your conference and posting why you would like to return. We have a lot of activities planned for families this summer. We have “Dive in Movies” and the slide beckoning you at the pool. I hope to see you and your family poolside enjoying. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We had never stayed at a Westin before, or been to the Tucson area. The Westin La Paloma far exceeded any expectations we may have had. The grounds are immaculate and remind one of a botanical garden. The many pools and large decks with plenty of seating were relaxing. The lap pool was a special, unexpected treat. My wife and I dined at the J-Bar and had a fabulous meal. My parents ate at Jano's and raved about it for days. The tennis courts were in great shape, and, although the fitness center was being renovated, the equipment seemed modern. The location is quite close to the Catalina mountains north of the city and there are spectacular views. The staff genuinely seems to care about the guest experience and, after four days, we feel as if we knew people there. We were sorry to leave and look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting about your first trip to Tucson and La Paloma. We’re sorry you had to leave so soon and look forward to your next stay with us. There is so much to see and do at La Paloma, as well as Tucson, you’ll need to spend a few days with us. I hope you will be able to come back with your parents to relax and spend some quality time together. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I spent the weekend here and had the best time ever. My kids loved the slide and Alexa at the pool was so helpful, I could seriously count on her. The room might of needed a bit of re'newing. Other than that it was amazing!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing how much your family enjoyed the slide at La Paloma. We hope to see your family at the pool again soon. You’ll enjoy even more when we have our guest rooms renewed. We wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

Been to Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!