“Never had so many problems at a Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Save 20% This Summer!
Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Never had so many problems at a Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I love Marriott, we are gold members. This property had some issues. When we got to our room, the towel rack fell off the wall. The bedside phone didn't work. I called to ask for a second ice bucket and one was brought - unfortunately it was cracked at the bottom which I discovered the next morning when the desktop was covered in water. The next morning, the A/C started blowing warm air. Only one elevator in the hotel was operational. All that being said, the staff were very friendly and responsive. They offered coffee and rolls in the morning by the broken elevator, and cold water in the afternoon. The items that were broken were fixed quickly. I've just never stayed at a Marriott where so many little things were wrong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I am are so sorry you experienced the issues that you did but I'm pleased that those problems were rectified in an expedient manner. The elevator was out of service not because it was broken but because the state requires all businesses who have elevators to go through a maintenance and testing process. This process does take a couple of days which can be difficult operationally but is certainly essential because it insures our guests safety throughout the year. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit our property again so that we can demonstrate our ability to provide a positive guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is in a perfect location, right next to the campus and mant resturants.

However, upon entering the hotel, it becomes immediately clear that the hotel is very old! It has the look of an old Embassey Suites set up. There is nothing really apealing about the lobby. You can tell it has bot been renovated in years, if ever. Very tiny bar area and resturant.

The rooms had a sterile-cleaner smell to them. They too have not been renovated or updated. The room was clean.

I have come to expect much more from the Marriott, especially for what they are charging at this hotel, almost $200 per night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. The public space is scheduled for a renovation in the fourth quarter of 2013. The ballroom space was renovated this past year and we have received many compliments on that. Our guestrooms were actually renovated five years ago and are due for another update in 2015 although we receive many compliments on the rooms especially in the work space area. We hope to see you again very soon.
Havdrup, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is excellent, nice location, nice people. Very nearby the UAz campus, But skal close to the famous outside restaurant Frog & Firkin. I rented a car and visited both Squaw Peak, the Apache Trial, Grand Canyon and the Sonorra Dessert.
Very good hotel. Can be recommended.

• Stayed June 2012
We are so happy that you had a great experience while staying at the Marriott University Park. It sounds like you had an opportunity to see many things while you were here. We hope you have an opportunity to visit our area very soon to experience more that Tucson has to offer.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located right near the University of Arizona. It is also located near many restaurants. I didn't eat at the hotel because there were so many other choices around the block. The rooms were nice and clean and the beds were very comfortable. The people who work there were very friendly and helpful. They gave me directions around Tucson many times. The only not so good thing about this Marriott is that the self parking is not located at the hotel and you have to pay for it. It is a little walk away, but it is not far by any means. I would definately stay here again if I were to go back to Tucson or the University of Arizona.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff, it means a great deal to all of us. We hope that we have another opportunity to serve you again very soon!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very close to UofA and is very convenient to most all In Tucson. Rooms are nice and comfortable ad you would expect from a Marriott. They recognize Platinum members loyalty with upgrades and executive lounge access. The Executive lounge is average but a great place to grab an evening snack or a morning breakfast. The front desk staff greeted me with a big smile and very friendly service. The wifi is very adequate to complete online work. Unfortunately there is no on-site parking at this hotel and you need to park across the street, or valet parking is available for $20 a day. I hate paying for parking at a hotel I am staying at. Room rates for this hotel can also be a little higher than average, I guess the closeness to the University comes with a price? Overall this is a nice hotel and I have stayed here for years while visiting Tucson and will continue to do so.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing a review and we sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Marriott. Our staff really appreciates the kind words and we are happy that you took advantage of the concierge lounge. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the not to distant future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm currently a Marriott Platinum member and come to Tucson every other month for business. I choose to eat and have drinks at the lobby bar nightly for my stay because of the outstanding service/attentiveness I'm guaranteed to receive from Jason the bartender. Over the past 2 years I've chosen the university Mariott because of the outstanding service. Currently have been here since the Feb 28th and checked out Earlier today Saturday Feb 9th. Friday night being my last stay before I departed Saturday, I decided to invite 4 of my clients to join me for dinner and drinks at the lobby bar to taste Jason's superb margaritas. That's exactly what I didn't receive. Instead of Jason, we were helped by an older women that was flustered and had no clue how to make the margarita I always order. I asked to speak with the restaurant manager Eddy, but only informed that she couldn't locate him and that she would keep trying. After 30 plus minutes and no contact with the bar manager, I chose to take my clients elsewhere and dine at Pasco's. I would greatly appreciate an apology for the embarrassment in front of my clients and the carelessness that even the manager of the the bar was no where to resolve this problem. I will be seriously contemplating staying with the ALOFT W Hotel in the future if this is how a valued Marriott Platinum Member is treated.

• Stayed March 2013
TucsonMarriott, Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would love to discuss your experience further with you. Please feel free to e-mail me at Jill.Moyer@jqh.com, or call at 520-629-2801, at your convenience. I hope to speak with you soon.
Florida, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a frequent traveler to Tucson I often stay at this Marriott hotel. The location is ideal if you are visiting U of A and is also centrally located within Tucson. I am primarily there for business conferences and have been satisfied with the catering and other business services. BUT, by far the best reason to stay here is RAFAEL! Rafael is the most warm and welcoming hotel staff person I have ever met. He treats each guest as if they are a long standing friend who are visiting his home. (I stay in more hotels than I do at home each year.) Rafael is in charge of the concierge lounge in the mornings. This is a recent change from his evening shift. He goes out of his way to ensure that you have everything you need, and most things you want. He is well traveled and can not only help you with travel plans in Tucson, but also so many other places in the world. If you visit this hotel - please go visit Rafael - I guarantee the second time he sees you, he will say, 'Welcome Home' and mean it.

Room Tip: Balconies are nice. Depending on the time of year and the number of guests that are students....t...