“University School of Dance Performance” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #49 of 127 hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Yuma, Az
“University School of Dance Performance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My Wife, my Mother and Myself had traveled to Tucson to attend our son's girlfriend's ballet performance at the Stevie Eller Theatre on the University of Arizona campus.
Upon arrival in at Tucson Marriott - University Park we were greeted by very friendly valet who helped unload and parked the vehicle for the remainder of our stay. We had reservations for two rooms. Upon checking in at the front desk we were greeted by Katrina and and another very nice young lady who processed our registrations very quickly and told us about the amenities of the hotel and said to contact them if we needed anything else or had any questions.
After a quick dinner, we took a cab to the performance. (no waiting for cab as the cab company has a station at the Marriott).
The cab driver also gave us his cell phone number and said to call him and he would pick us up if he was available or he would send another cab. After the performance, which was excellent!, we called him and he picked us up in less than five minutes and returned us to the Marriott.
We went to the lounge to have a drink. While we were there we were greeted by Eddie, the restaurant manager, who was checking with guests to make sure everything was ok. While visiting with Eddie he made several recomendations for surrounding activities and told us about the breakfast buffet which we had the next morning. The buffet was very good with a great variety of breakfast options.
We checked out with no problems, valet brought us our vehicle and we left wishing we had been able to spend another night at the hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed at this hotel before and have had no problems with any of the rooms. All of the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review of our hotel and staff. How exciting to see a live performance at the Steve Eller Theatre especially when you know one of the ballet dancers. We appreciate you recognizing Katrina and Eddie as they both work very hard at setting an example of excellent guest service. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the not too distant future.

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Loved this hotel, me and my love went to this hotel as a little get away for the summer. Good service, great location, lots of stuff in walking distance, shopping and food. Very quiet.Would definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and the location. It is so nice that our guests have many dining and shopping choices. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again very soon.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am here for business. So far, this hotel has been somewhat of a bust. Although the room is clean and comfortable (carpet is pretty dirty by the door, buuuut, that is a small thing.) the mechanics of this place are head-bangingly bad.

When I arrived, the key did not work in my door. I had to go downstairs to get the key replaced. The elevators are among the slowest ever. Once the key was replaced I got into my room and signed up for the internet. I was charged for the internet. Charging for internet is something one expects at a low end hotel, not the Marriott. The internet was excruciatingly slow.....and..... kept throwing me off. Did I mention I am here for business?

Night two, and three......the key doesn't work. Again. Over and over the key doesn't work. The hotel reset my lock and still the key doesn't work. The very friendly staff replaces my key over and over again. To do this I have to go up and down the excruciatingly slow elevator over and over again. The staff tells me that perhaps my smart phone is demagnetizing the key. I travel extensively. This has never happened before. I then store the key in my glove box, my pocket and at one point my sock. The key has to be replaced every time. I hear from colleagues also staying here that this is happened to them as well. Where should I keep my key? On my head?

Night 3. I am thrown off of the hotel internet AGAIN. The desk tells me that the "hotel can't deal with the internet, that I have to deal with the provider myself" REALLY???? I have not contracted with this provider Marriott HAS!

I call the internet provider and am placed on hold. By the end of the night I have spoken to the provider no less than four times. One of those times the hotel desk clerk Annalise transfers me to a number that is no longer working. In between trying to get me to the right place she forgets to put me on hold and I hear her swearing. Nice.

I spent no less than an hour + working out the bugs over those 4+ calls. At one point the provider makes a huge mistake throwing me off of the internet again in a big way. Ridiculous. I DID mention that I am here on business didn't I?? Yeah.

In the end, the hotel did not charge me for the internet. That is great as the internet service was abominable! This fiasco cost me time and money. I won't even start with the irritation level and inconvenience as I will rant for another few paragraphs! I have stayed in hotels in third world countries that function at a far higher level than the Tucson Marriott University Park!

Stay in this hotel if you have a child at ASU, are attending a game, or want to be in the middle of the city. Avoid this hotel like the plague if you are coming to Tucson for business or for anything where the internet, elevators or actually getting access to your own room is a necessity.

Room Tip: If you need the internet or access to your room find another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I am sorry that you had issues with the internet, your door lock and the hotel's elevators. The elevators have just been inspected and meet all the guidelines the state requires us to have. When the hotel is very busy and everyone is coming and going at the same time there can be a wait from time to time and I apologize for that.

Your door lock was malfunctioning because the memory board needed to be replaced, this is a rare occurance but does happpen from time to time when dealing with electrical equipment. Our staff should have asked you if you wanted to move to another room and we would have been happy to do that.

Regarding the internet issues you had, the reason we have you call technical support is because everyone has different computer configurations and many have firewalls that our staff has no technical knowledge of. I apologize for technical support not handling your situation in a satisfactory manner and I have contacted them so that we can try to streamline the process.

I appreciate you letting us know of these issues as it gives us an opportunity to correct them for all of our guests.
Yuba City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the University Park Marriott for 7 nights in January of 2013 for an onsite conference. The hotel was an example of cleanliness and comfort. As a guest of the 9th floor, I had the privilege of the concierge lounge every morning and evening. The two lounge concierge Rafael and Jack were kind, welcoming, and thoughtful. I felt more like a friend than a guest. The food provided was fresh and exceeded expectations of a continental breakfast.
The only downfall is the open bar/lounge downstairs does not block noise well, so our desire to visit into the wee hours was not welcome. Our conversation noise easily traveled up to the guest rooms. However, there are many options within walking distance for late night eating, drinking, and visiting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for filling out a review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed the concierge lounge and our associates who service that area. We hope that you have another opportunity to stay with us again.
Coolangatta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott for 9 days in total as I was attending a conference at the hotal. I found the hotel was great, with very sizeable and comfortable rooms. I did find it quite noisy particularly on the weekend evenings as noise travels right up from the atrium and there was no attempt to quieten people down and noise continued past 11.00pm. That being said there was a local soccer tournament during the weekend and when these kids left he place became really quiet again. I loved the balocny watching the sun set in the evenings was particularly nice (tip:ask for room with balcony as not all rooms have one). The locations great being about 1 minute from the University and main street that has many cheap and wodnerful places for a meal and/or a drink. I found all the staff most professional, friendly and helpful throughout my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. Because of our location next to the University of Arizona we do have moments where there is a lot of activity in the hotel which creates some noise. We do try to control this as much as possible but there are times that this can disturb some of our guests and I do apologize for that. We are very happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed one night at this Marriott, at the edge of the U of Az campus. The employees I encountered were all friendly and helpful. Although my room was directly adjacent to the elevators, and my stay was on a Friday night, I had a very quiet and restful stay. The hotel is located within walking distance not only to campus, but also many restaurants in the area. It is also across the street from the university parking garage (which is where the valet will park you, if you use them). Staying on a weekend meant my parking was free. The furnishings in the room were very comfortable, the toiletries provided were Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Orange Ginger, so that felt (and smelled) nice too! I would definitely recommend this hotel if you have business in Tucson.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are happy that you had a enjoyable and restful stay and hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again very soon.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel, what can you say, it's a Marriott, can never go wrong with a Marriott. The location of this hotel was excellent, close to the airport, close to shopping, very well situated. The rooms were very big and clean. Absolutely loved the balcony, we sat in the early evening with a glass of wine and watched the sun go down over the mountains, absolutely stunning.

Room Tip: The one thing that I would suggest is that when booking, request a room with a balcony, not all room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words in your review. Many of our guests enjoy the location we have that is so close to the University of Arizona and we are very pleased that you did also. We hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.

Been to Tucson Marriott University Park? Share your experiences!