“One of the best hotels I've stayed in a long time” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #50 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfax, Virginia
“One of the best hotels I've stayed in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've been going to Tucson for business trips for weeks at a time and every time I try my hardest to get into the University Park Marriott. Rooms and facilities are clean and desk clerks are very helpful. Although my most favorite part of the hotel is the Sonoma Bar staff. For a drink after work, its the best. The bartenders Jason and Chantelle always provide the best service possible and they can mix drinks that are amazing. The wait staff is also top notch, specifically Chad and Jesse. Two really great guys who always try and make your dinner service top notch. The manager, Sam, is what keeps them all going and is very upbeat and offers the best customer service I can imagine. Together the group is top notch and I have never had a bad experience. I highly recommend this establishment if you ever have to stay in the Tucson area.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on higher levels as the large atrium reverberates sounds from the lobby fairly easi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and especially in the lounge. The lounge staff works very hard at trying to deliver a great guest service experience and we find it rewarding when our guests feel that we have exceeded their expectations. We hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon and we really appreciate your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is the friendliest staff I've ever encountered. Every employee I encountered, at any time of the day or evening, greeted me with a smile and "hello" as we encountered each other, even when we were just passing each other. The facilities were well maintained throughout the building, from my room, to the public areas and the conference rooms. They catered a superb banquet for our group. Since it's located along the UA campus there are literally dozens of restaurants to choose from, all reasonably priced. I just encountered my first negative with this review (not the Hotels's fault). It looks like I have to join trip advisor or add it to my FB account in order to submit this review, and I don't care for that.

Room Tip: No one in our group commented on comparative advantages of the different room locations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is very rewarding for our staff to hear when a guest of ours truly enjoys their experience. We sincerely hope that you have another opportunity to stay with us again. We hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Marriott is a fair price, very neat and clean and the most convenient location. We were there to see our son at Uof A and we were only a 1 minute walk to his dorm. We did not hear any noise at night as some have mentioned. This is so convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We are very happy you had a good stay and that you found our location to your liking. Many of our guests enjoy the fact that we are so close to the University of Arizona. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Bear Down Wildcats!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Recently taped a bunch of interviews in one of their meeting rooms. We had lots of room and it was pretty quiet, unless people talked loudly, walking right past doors. We were very comfortable there all day.

Mainly I was impressed with the staff. One man offered to help us load in, without even asking. The A/V guy was very helpful. The waitress at lunch was very cheerful, helpful and friendly (their buffet was excellent). Front desk staff very helpful and courteous, the bellmen were great.
I always enjoy visiting or working on projects at the Marriott University Park.

Keep it up, and Thank You, folks!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We really appreciate you telling us how our staff members were able to accommodate your needs while you were filming at the hotel. It was a pleasure to read your review to the staff at an associate meeting, as they take a lot of pleasure by getting recognized as being guest focused. We hope that we have anopportunity to serve you again in the not to distant future, have a great New Year.
Portland, Or
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I picked this Marriott because it was centrally located in Tucson. The hotel has a large atrium inside, similar to an Embassy Suite or Hyatt. This causes some noises to carry straight up throughout the building and into your room; especially high and low octaves like busing tables or dropping luggage. This is likely why some other people complained about noise in their reviews. The noises stopped around 9:00 pm, so that could be a problem for anyone wanting to go to bed extra early. The pull-up area at the front door was very short, which does not allow many cars, but the valet with nice enough to hold my keys while I checked in and got a self-parking pass. They did try to get me to do valet, but it's their job to up-sell, so I was not really bothered by it.

Now that the minor negatives are out of the way, I found lots of positives at this location. To begin with, the reception staff was great; especially Shelby (spelling?). This was only the second time I've stayed at a full Marriott and I was not familiar with the amenities. Shelby covered all the benefits I qualified for with my rewards program, and set me up on the club level. This included a free hot continental breakfast with eggs and a wide selection of fruits, pastries, and drinks.

The room was spacious, and clean. I also had a balcony where I spent some of the evening. This part of Tucson isn't the most beautiful, parking garages and all, but the mountains and sunset were pretty. The bathroom was also clean, which is very important to me. The Marriott website does not provide any photos of the bathrooms, but some of the reviewers have included very accurate photos; check the mirror to see the bathtub. The counter was extra long and could easily accommodate two or three people.

Finally, the wifi was pretty good compared to many hotels. Coverage was consistently strong across the room, but the complimentary version was a little slow. The system did require re-logging at times, but using streaming services, such as Netflix or Pandora, negated this problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel as we really appreciate the candid feedback. Noise issues during the day are a challenge in an atrium style hotel and we are always looking for ways to improve in this area. I passed along your kind comments to Shelby who really appreciated that you enjoyed her service. We hope that you visit us again in the not to distant future and hope you have a great New Year!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location for a UA visit, the staff was very friendly, courteous and went out of their way to make our stay a good one. The room service pizza was crisp, hot and delicious, and the staffer who delivered it, Chad, was an extremely well-mannered young man. Thumbs up.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for filling out a survey to let us know about your experience. It is always rewarding to hear of a good hotel stay and we have shared your comments with Jason, who was very happy that you were pleased. We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was in Tucson for a large training conference in January. Great location, clean rooms, nice views, and FANTASTIC staff. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient, even when I asked multiple questions and had some special requests. The manager was awesome in helping me locate a missing package that I had shipped there via UPS. The waitstaff in the restaurant was fantastic in their knowledge and refilling drinks, clearing plates, etc. The absolute best was our bartender, Jason Morris at the lobby bar.

As I said in the opening, we were a large group with over 200 attendees. Jason remembered our drinks when we went back after the first day, was always prompt, correct and was simply a joy to have serve us!

Pros: staff, location, amenities, cleanliness.
Cons: food not great, have to pay for wireless in rooms, though its free in lobby

I would return here even when not on business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators, and for one that has a balcony!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I shared your comments with the staff and they were very pleased that you found their service exceeded your expectations. We look forward to serving you again very soon. Happy New year!

Been to Tucson Marriott University Park? Share your experiences!