“A Review for 2014 National FCE Conference” 5 of 5 stars

Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #57 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“A Review for 2014 National FCE Conference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife the I spend two day at the hotel previewing the hotel and the Tucson area preparing for the 2014 National Family and Community Education (FCE) Conference that will be held in July of 2014. Our room was outstanding. The facilities were great and the staff was extremely friendly.
The shops and stores around the hotel were a place a person could browse for hours. A person could not go wrong staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Tucson University Park Marriott. I believe the members of your conference will enjoy the wide variety of things to do in the immediate area when your conference meets in 2014. Thank you for the kind words, have a wonderful Holiday season and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is best located for access to the university square - lots of restaurants to choose from.
The hotel is very clean and the staff is helpful. Tucson is a city that requires transportation to get to any place outside of the University square- nothing within walking distance such as a mall or fine dining. However, there are plenty of nice eateries and museums within walking distance.Nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Did Not eat at the hotel or use the spa
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Tucson University Park Marriott. We feel very fortunate to have a location that provides so many different options when looking for things to do. I hope that we have anotheropportunity to serve you soon.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Staff here is poorly trained and uninformed -- smiles galore, but nothing behind those facades! The decor above the first floor has a decided "Auschwitz" feel. Any hotel stay should be about more than just the beds! For the money, this should be far better.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I am sorry that you did not find our staff trained to your satisfaction, we were very busy during the University of Arizona's Homecoming Weekend and we endeavored to prepare our team to meet our guest's needs. I met with many guests that weekend who had a great time enjoying the festivities of Homecoming. We are always disappointed when we do not meet or exceed our guest's expectations. In four years at this property I have only received positive feedback on our hotel's decor. I'm sure you will be happy to know that we plan a major lobby renovation in 2013 and I hope you will visit our hotel again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I traveled for business and stayed 2 nights in Mariott University Tucson. First of all, their beds are the best I've ever slept on - hands down!! I'll get the same bed setup and linens in my house, I swear! The hotel is pretty big, but we stayed in a quiet wing and had a great night rest. All the staff is well trained, very friendly and professional! We didn't have a refrigerator in the room, but got it immediately upon request. On the check out day we requested a late check out at 1 pm and got it with no problem. We were late for buffet breakfast, but made it on time for breakfast a la carte - wasn't cheap, but the quality of food, service and convenience definitely made up for it! They also have very beautiful fitness center and swimming pool, although a bit shallow - only 4 feet. The only downside was the WiFi in the room - it's not free, so we had to settle for weak signal from some available network, and no oversized parking. With our rig ( big van and utility trailer) we couldn't fit it in the adjacent parking garage and had to park on paid parking lot ($11 per day for parking space). We would have stayed longer as we had business in Tuscon, but parking and Internet convenience were crucial to us. Otherwise, it's a great place to travel for business!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on our hotel. We sincerely appreciate that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you have another opportunity to visit us again very soon in Tucson. Unfortunately, we do not own the parking facility next to the hotel so there is a daily charge for parking. In addition, we recently upgraded our internet to increase bandwidth and although there is a charge most of our guests appreciate that this service is now faster. Thank you for staying at the Tucson University Park Marriott!
New Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for a conference. My room was quite comfortable. I enjoyed the change in colors of the view of the mountains from my room. It's quite close to the main university section that contains lots of restaurants and bars and also within easy walking distance of campus.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We are very pleased that you had a successful conference and that you enjoyed our facility. We hope that you have another opportunity to visit the Tucson area again soon. Happy Holidays.
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Went to a presentation at the University of Arizona with my wife and son. This hotel was very convenient, basically across the street from the west end of the campus. Nice place but my only complaint was that the bed was not as comfortable as I would have liked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We are glad you found our location to be convenient to your needs but sorry you did not find the bed as comfortable as you like. We actually get many compliments on our Marriott beds but find from time to time we have guests who discover the bedding too soft or hard depending upon their personal preferences. A suggestion I would make is if you prefer a firmer mattress is to request a bed board for your bed as I find this firms up the mattress quite a bit. I hope we have another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this particular Marriott a number of times for business meetings at University of Arizona and have never really had a problem. I will say that this particular visit I noticed the hotel, particulary the room, showing some signs of age. There were no particular big problems, just things like some peeling paint, worn carpet, and a shower curtain that would not stay put against the edge of the shower and insisted on allowing the air to blow it towards me while in the shower.
But there are a number of features I really like about this Marriot. The open atrium that runs the entire hotel, from lobby to ceiling, makes it feel very open and airy. The concierge lounge is nicely done with multiple TV's, bar style and table style seating, good food at both breakfast and dinner. And the location could not be more convenient to the campus and the surrounding shops and restaurants.
As others have indicated, the valet area can get kind of tight if multiple cars are pulling in at once and the time to retrieve a car can also be a bit lengthy so make sure to build in some extra time.
All in all, this will remain my hotel of choice in Tucson.

Stayed October 2012
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. My Engineering staff has addressed the issues in your room which should have been addressed as a part of our preventative maintenance program, so thank you for pointing those specific problems so that we can improve. For the most part we are happy you enjoy are hotel and look forward to serving you again in the future.