“Pretty good hotel if the price is right.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #50 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Altos, California
“Pretty good hotel if the price is right.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed at this property 1 night because our convention hotel Marriot Star Pass Resort was full so they gave us a half price rate. The atrium lobby is pretty cool with glass elevators etc. Staff was very helpful at check in. Rooms are large and beds are comfy if not a little soft. There is a resturant/ bar in the lobby but didn't try it. Pool and exersise room but did not see either. Overall a good hotel in a good downtown location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for selecting our hotel and glad you enjoyed your visit. Our atrium is definitely the focal point of the hotel and our Lobby also offers free wireless internet access to guests while enjoying the atmosphere. We truly appreciate your comments regarding our helpful staff, spacious accommodations and comfortable beds. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marriott Univeristy Park in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Manteca, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Outstanding things about this hotel - the nicest most helpful staff, the location, dining option until11:00, and large rooms. The room really needed a good cleaning - while okay we noticed a thick pile of dust under the nightstand.

Lots of fun restaurants right a block away and free self parking on the weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding our spacious guest rooms and talented associates working here at the Marriott University Park. We apologize the cleanliness of your room did not meet the standards you have come to expect from a Marriott and will utilize your valuable feedback as a training opportunity for our Housekeeping team. We certainly hope to remain your hotel of choice when visiting the Tucson area in the future!
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice last month when visiting the University of Arizona. It is a great location, just a couple of blocks from the edge of campus. There are many restaurants and pubs nearby, so there is a lot of affordable quality options within walking distance if you are staying several days. One of the U of A faculty took me to Wilko, which is right across from campus and for some reason not on TripAdvisor. Nice affordable wine list, and I had a bowl of pozole recommended by the server that was outstanding. Had a thin crust wood oven baked pizza that was also a winner. Many other options, including campus hangouts like Gentle Ben's. Hotel is older property judging by the fixtures, but everything was sparking clean, it was quiet, and it has a nice, typical Marriott restaurant in the lobby. Nice, open, and perfectly decent choice for breakfast before a full day on campus. I consider this now "my place" in Tucson. Taxi ride from the airport is about $30.

Room Tip: Marriott has no feather rooms if you have a feather allergy, which I do.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson Marriott University Park, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It's great to see that you enjoyed all our area has to offer. As you experienced just steps from our doors are shops and many dining options. I'll be sure to share your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel with our Housekeeping team. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Really nice hotel, one staff member was a bit curt, when i tried mailing a post card and other than the phone next to bed not working, it was a nice hotel. i had a nice view from my window, and the staff was accomadating when we tried checking in early.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
It's great to see our team accommodated the early check in request and that you enjoyed the views. We hope to welcome you back soon.
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I was just here for conference. It's a perfectly nice Marriott. Anyone who travels will know exactly what that means. I loved that there were actual balconies with doors that open up. It was good to get some fresh air. They do charge for internet service for regular guests, it appears but we were given free internet service with our stay (there were a LOT of us)

I had a few minor issues- the air-conditioning in my room was directed so that it hit exactly where I was sitting at the desk. I don't like air being blown down on me, especially cold air so for the most part I left the a/c off. Also, because of the Atrium setup, it can get loud while the bar area was opened. It quieted down quickly after the bar closed for the evening.

Staff seemed nice and were wearing their uniforms- saw no brastraps here! (see post, below)- the cleaning people were unobtrusive and did a nice job.

The hotel itself seems close to lots of stuff- we didn't really have time to get out and explore too much but there was a brewery and a few restaurants and shops right next to the hotel. Would have liked to see more of Tucson but that's the downside of a business trip. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

great location, clean nice friendly walk to campus

Room Tip: had a balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, MO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

When we checked in we were using gift cards and were assured that only $50 would be authorized on my credit card and of course they authorized $550. I was staying one night! The manager on duty was dressed in a tank top with her bra strap showing- tacky! She seemed bothered to help with gift cards and proceeded to tell me to just deal with it in the morning. I booked a room with a balcony on the top floor- I did not get one. For $300 a night I expect my requests to be met- none were. No extra towels, no extra pillows- why ask if you don't honor? I finally got my balcony and my daughter went outside and stepped on a bunch of nasty cigarette butts- EWWW. The food and beverage offerings are a joke. It was the servers first day and we had to ask for everything. For $150 a meal I expect quality service and food- I received neither. I wish I could forget this night ever happened. Next time I will stay at the JW for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tucson Marriott University Park? Share your experiences!