“One of the best!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Cumming, Georgia
“One of the best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

As a frequent traveler (200+ nights per year) I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels. I just returned from a 4 separate week stays at the Hilton East in Tucson, and I can state without hesitation that it is one of the better hotels I have stayed in. I had no complaints on either of the four weeks. The hotel is conveniently located to downtown, the mall, local restaurants, and most businesses. The rooms were very clean and updated (including 42" HD LCD TVs). As a Hilton Diamond member, I had a choice of either the complimentary continental breakfast in the lounge, or a full breakfast in the restaurant. In the evenings, the concierge lounge offered complimentary appetizers (both hot and cold) and an open bar. The restaurant (Vistas) offered excellent food. I sampled every single item on the menu at least once during my stays, and I found no complaints. The lounge offered a quiet, yet entertaining way to relax each evening.

Overall, I have many pros for this hotels, and no cons. I would recommend this as an excellent hotel for both the leisure and business travelers alike.

• Liked — Location, food, helpful staff, clean and updated property
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Got a great deal using Hilton HHonors awards points for this property compared to the other Hilton properties in the area. One of the signature features in the upgraded Hilton properties are the very comfortable beds.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, as were the other staff we encoutered during our stay. They each went out of their way to ask if we needed any help.

• Liked — The very comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — The hotel looked older/out of date.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

We were impressed with the Tucson Hilton Hotel. We got a fantastic price for our short stay at this world class hotel by booking at Priceline.

We arrived during the Christmas season and the lobby was aptly decorated. The lobby is huge and elegant. The view looking up from the lobby is dazzling, and the view looking down, either from the all glass elevator or from the balconies is breathtaking. I've posted a few pictures of what it looked like while we were there.

The hotel is decorated in what appears to be local art; there's a full concierge service, valet, and its easy to find an employee 24 hours a day. I don't know what time the bar closes or breakfast starts but I go to bed late and wake up early and never had trouble finding something to eat, drink, or do within the hotel itself.

There's basically a full gym, although I detected a chemical scent - possibly the smell of the exercise balls - that would have bothered me if I was actually trying to work out instead of just snooping around. There's a world class Gold's Gym right around the corner, though... just in case. Right outside is a pool and hot tub, which was populated with a few friendly people when I went out there in the middle of the night.

There are not ice machines on every floor, for some reason, you have to get ice or soda only on the fifth floor - if I recall correctly.

The rooms are gigantic, comfortable, and clean. The bathroom, with its softly decorated walls, huge mirror, and gigantic shower stall walled by glass makes you feel rich, even if you're not. The television includes some kind of game controller so you can play Nintendo games - which seemed really cool except I never got around to playing with it... no need since the wi-fi access is free.

Clean, quiet, comfortable, relatively inexpensive because we shopped around, and surrounded by the Sonoran Desert. Everything we wanted on our getaway.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton East on this trip to Tucson. We booked with hotwire and got an absolutely awesome rate. For the money we paid, I could not be more happy.

The hotel has undergone renovations recently and they could have been done better. I think it looks out of date all ready.

The front desk was exceptionally helpful, as was the bellboy at the front of the hotel. The lobby has a business center that provides free internet. The rooms also have internet access.

The room was large and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds that I have slept on in a hotel in a very very long time.

The plasma TV in the room was a nice touch, but the smallish bathroom could be improved upon. The shower head didnt have the best water pressure and it took a while for the hot water to get through.

All in all though, I would certainly return.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The small-ish bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

Overall, a good experience if you're looking for a clean, large suite for a quick overnight trip. We got a great deal through hotwire, would have been upset if I had paid more than $100/night. The rooms were quite large and they did have complimentary internet access. However, the hotel is older and they recently finished a renovation, but still need many more updates. From the pictures in the lobby, it appears they redid the window treatments and hallway carpets. Our toilet seat was cracked and had paint chipping in multiple areas. The hallways had dusting of dry wall/paint along the trim and a couple peanuts on the floor outside the door. We were first given a room on on the east side of the 4th floor, but it had a very strong odor, perhaps mold? The front desk easily transitioned us to a room on the west side of the 4th floor, no further problems. Very far distance to the closest highway, but Tucson doesn't offer many highways so that may be the case in multiple locations.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

The property was under rennovation during my stay, which wasn't a problem, but I hope they can move the rugs and supplies out of the hallways. The front desk staff was really unresponsive and grossly unfamiliar with driving directions on how to get to the property from I-10. As a result, I was pretty lost in Tucson and it added about another 45 minutes of driving to find the property.

Upon arrival, the staff seemed unhelpful and unfriendly and didn't really seem to care that I got lost. I think it would also be helpful if the hotel kept the vending machines in good operation - none of the machines worked on any of the floors.

Overall, it was a descent stay, it just seemed more like a Motel 6 than a Hilton.

• Liked — North view of the Mountains
  • Disliked — The hotel staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding.

Pros: Restaurant breakfast (esp pancakes) were AWESOME (yet pricey). VERY friendly staff, new room, INCREDIBLY comfortable bed. -even got bottled water and cookies delivered to our room the second night!

Cons: had to call twice to get rollaway we had reserved, too cold to use pool (only in 60s!); no sugar in coffee area the first night and did not replace coffee for our second night

Major con: when we checked in, still lipstick on coffee mugs in the room! Yuck

• Liked — comfy bed and the breakfast at the hotel
  • Disliked — dirty mugs in room~
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Tucson East? Share your experiences!