“Will NEVER stay again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona
“Will NEVER stay again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I travel frequently for business and leisure. I am a seasoned traveler. I have worked in management at several hotels throughout the US, have a degree in Hotel/Restaurant mgmt, and stayed in many hotels throughout the world. This is by far the WORST experience I have ever encountered, photos will confirm most of the issues. Several issues in no particular order: 1) Pool area: pool needs rennovation - tiles falling off, mold behind tiles, plaster coming off in several locations, electrical exposed around pool perimeter with live wires sticking up, cigarette butts/trash throughout pool area. 2) Room not made up 2nd day, DND sign was not on door. Had to find a mgr at 6:30pm to get someone to service the room. 3) Room cleanliness/upkeep was disgusting: several stains on wall, carpet, bedskirt. Found a wrapped condom under bedskirt when looking for my son's dropped lego's - wonder how long that has been there. Thick layer of dust on fake room plant. Faux paint was not professional. Shower head/tub lever rusted, mold present in multiple areas of shower, tub lever broke from rust corrosion, bathroom floor dirty. Switch missing from one of the lamps (could not turn on/off). Could barely use drawers, cheap furniture and drawers were hard to pull in/out. Hotel was selected through a 3rd party website which stated it was "Eastside" - more Central. I had to book for a family emergency so required an inexpensive place to sleep. This issues were serious and I would have switched hotels but had too much to do to take care of my ailing Mother and my 2 kids...buyer beware, you get what you pay for. Positive Notes: 1) free internet, 2) friendly staff (front desk checkout needs training on how to multi task and acknowledged guests), 3) Large room size. Owners and Managers of this hotel should be ashamed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

It's hard to review this hotel without thinking, "You got what you paid for". Booked this through Priceline at a very low rate. As many others have pointed out, the hotel is dated. You can tell they have tried to bring it up to date but, unfortunately, the colors are horribly tacky, and the building is quite worn out. The pool area is big but it needs replastering. You need a card key to get in the elevator, to use the pool, workout room, and get in the side entrance during the day. It's probably because its in a so-so neighborhood. The rooms were great. They are big and clean. We had a nice view of the mountains to the north but they are overshadowed by the dumpy, run-down neighborhood behind the hotel. The staff was polite and their service was quite excellent. I would recommend this hotel only if you have exhausted your search of the area and price is an issue.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Navojoa, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

When we stayed at this hotel, we practically had it to ourselves. We stayed in late may, early June. since the weather was getting hotter , people from easterners and northeners don't come to Arizona at this time of year. Many guests come from Mexico in mid June, when school is out. The staff was friendly and corteous, although we had a small incident. Housekeeping came early in the morning to clean our room. I asked them to please come back later. I must have been misunderstood, because they did not come back at all. It was night time and our room hadn't been cleaned. I asked the manager to send someone to clean our room, and we got a security guard with some blankets that I assume we were supposed to change ourselves. I went to the front desk and the manager explained that there was no one from housekeeping on call at the moment. I insisted that there had to be someone who could step in in a pinch, he volunteered to change the sheets himself. For a moment, I felt as If I were in a backpackers hostel, not a three star hotel.

Aside from that incident, everything else went well. We had wireless internet, a business center, a pool, resturants and pretty decent breakfast options.

• Stayed May 2010
boulder co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Dark. Beat up, stained, rusted, dated, dreary, dismal. Now scared to ever use priceline again. Just awful!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

My boyfriend's band tours quite often and stays in many hotels. I sometimes accompany them, and travel often myself. I usually make the hotel reservations for everyone; in this case I was also staying in Tucson. When I book for myself, I usually stay with Marriott brands for consistency; however the band did not want to spend that much money, so I had to do some looking.

I searched the web, and found a really good deal, so I booked two rooms online (one with two double beds and the other with a king bed) with the hotel on extremely short notice, and comfortable beds and a hot tub were required. :)

Upon arrival, I was really pleased with the exterior and grounds of the hotel. The surrounding area is pretty good, and there are a couple dining options within walking distance. Upon entering the hotel, the pictures on the website are exactly what you see when you walk in. The friendliness of the staff was genuine and so opposite of what I experienced at a nearby Hilton a few days earlier; a truly pleasant surprise.

We slogged our luggage up to the 4th floor to our rooms, and opened them. Wow, we were pretty surprised. I hadn't read these were suites. We could've really just booked the one room, but I had gotten such an awesome deal that we were still exceptionally pleased. Our rooms were not pictured on the website, but from speaking with staff, the 4th floor is the "discount" floor, so is the oldest as far as remodel goes. It didn't bother us in the least.

The fridge works well, the heater (yes, we used a heater in Arizona) works, as does the A/C (which I tried just to try it). The windows open. The bathroom is furnished with a marble counter, in addition to another marble vanity slab in between the two rooms. The little shampoo/conditioner/etc sets were amply sized and actually easily enough product for two people without skimping. Towels are fluffy and nice. The lighting is ample throughout the rooms. The couch does pull out into another bed (which I did not sleep on), but the couch itself was plenty big and comfortable. The coffee maker is cool, with a disposable brew basket...a little hard to navigate the first time you use it, especially when you need coffee.

The king size bed was very nice and comfortable, the pillows fluffy but not too much. I have a bad back and this bed was very pleasant to sleep on. The sheets are soft and nice too.

My friend's son accidentally spilled chip crumbs on the floor. We called the front desk to request a vacuum cleaner and within five minutes a cheerful lady arrived who quickly fixed out floor. Fastest housekeeping call I have ever seen.

The Viscount Suites has a restaurant and a bar, we went to the bar for dinner and the prices are the same in-bar as for room-service. Five of us ordered food of various types and it was all a good value and tasty. No complaints! The staff at Wilbur's is also exceptionally nice and friendly, which we all appreciated. We sat inside the bar, but you could sit outside in the atrium area, get the same service and listen or watch the big fountain in the area. Service was prompt; our food was hot and done correctly. My pasta was the most expensive thing on the menu (I believe) at $14. You might balk at that price, but it DOES has a ton of kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and shrimp...not the tiny bay shrimp either, these are prawns. Delicious and a lot of food, I took half back to my room. The GM came to sit with us at dinner and we all talked for quite some time.

Having forgotten both room keys, I did the walk of shame to the front desk to get a new one. They provided them with a smile. The new keys and the old keys would all work for my room! I've never had that happen.

In the morning, we all opted for the breakfast buffet, which is only $7 per person, but closes at 0930. This is served on the first floor atrium. Again, the staff was really friendly. Now, having been to lots of hotels offering breakfast of various types, we were a most pleased when we saw the buffet. There was a hot line with eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc. All of it was actually hot and there was plenty of it. Obviously a cold line with fruits and such was available. The best part of the buffet? They have an omelet bar and will also make you waffles and pancakes to order. They used real eggs for the omelets, not the preblended mess you usually see. One member of our party really loves syrup and his request for "a bunch of syrup" was met with a smile and he was handed a coffee cup full of it. I am not kidding. The omelet bar gentlemen were just that, and they do a fine job. The wait staff was prompt with clearing dishes and refilling coffee cups and creamer.

Checkout was seamless and done with a smile.

This is a nice place, and way cheaper than your local Hilton, Marriott or Sheraton. It has all the three star amenities too. Our floor was not as updated as the lower three and it didn't bother me one bit. The Viscount Suites are a great value, especially if you choose surf the web a bit and book online. Big rooms, great for relaxing, and big enough that one room could accommodate a group of four very easily. Incidentally, this is a locally owned establishment too.

I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2010
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

No real complaints. Last minute change of plans brought us to Tucson and I got an excellent priceline deal. Room was huge, could have slept 15 people in there I think. Everything was fine but it just has a bit of a dowdy feel to it. Was very tempted by the $7 buffet but we wanted to try places around town. Quick zip down the road to downtown. Someone was using one of the computers for unseemly browsing ha ha, but not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Show Low, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I can tell they are trying make the experience here nice--with the atrium and stringed lights with glass elevators. The check in folks are very professional and courteous as well. The beds are very comfortable--a pleasant surprise and a good choice for a limited amount of money to budget for upgrades. The rooms themselves are quite dated though, with interior decor that smacks of the 80's. The carpets are quite dirty that need to be replaced. The upgrades needed to make this an excellent hotel will cost millions, the question is--is it worth the investment?

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Viscount Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!