“This is a college motel and for that, it's pretty spiff.” 4 of 5 stars

Quality Inn Flamingo
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1300 North Stone Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705-7338   |
Ranked #64 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Michigander Transplant
“This is a college motel and for that, it's pretty spiff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Had I known this is so close to the university, I would have been less critical at the onset (and more surprised), but for the most part it was an enjoyable experience.

Pros: inexpensive, nicely refurbished, clean, great front desk peeps, wicked great wifi clear at the back of the property.

Cons: we got two rooms, mine was back at the corner on the bottom floor and didn't have the nice window treatment that my boys had on their windows (see pictures) which was unsettling seeing how poorly they provided privacy. Also, the security latch was broken and my door didn't fit snug in the jamb. There was a poorly patched hole in the bathroom door but no bigee, I didn't see it until morning and the aesthetics weren't greatly affected. Also, the clientele (college kids it seemed) were loud, smoked from the balconies, and flicked ashes without any regard for people walking along the pathway. More enforcement of policies would have been ideal.

• Stayed March 2013
qualityflamingo, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and we appreciate your comments and will praise the Pro’s and work on the Con’s so your next stay will be even better than the first. I have shared the review with the staff and I would like to thank you again for taking time out of your day to write this review. We strive to be the best and the feedback from our guests helps us towards that path. We look forward to seeing you on future visits.

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had to spend a few days in Tucson this month to attend a conference and since I was funding it myself, I didn't want to stay at the resort where the conference was being held but wanted someplace safe and clean where I could sleep since the rest of the day would be spent at the resort. I looked at a lot of low-cost hotel/motel reviews, including the standard low-cost places like Motel 6, Days Inn, etc. and many of those reviews were pretty scary. So I chose the Flamingo. This is a 60's era motel, 2 stories, no elevator and in a slightly sketchy area but not far from the U of A and close to Pima College. The public spaces of the hotel are a bit worn but not bad but the room was updated and clean, with a comfortable bed, flat panel TV, good wi-fi (free) service and had windows that opened. The bathroom was decent, no major cleanliness issues, just the normal dings and dents rooms get over time. My pet peeve are lights that also put on the fan, which this had, and the light switch was behind the door so it took time to find. But all in all a decent bathroom.

The free Continental breakfast was fine, included cereal, eggs, breads/pastries, juices, coffee, etc. Nothing fancy but sufficient and filling. The check-in/check-out process was easy and efficient. I couldn't use my CHoiceHotel number since I had booked/paid for the room through an on-line travel site (Tingo), but they told me how to add the stay once I got home. So good and friendly service. For $55 a night, I had no complaints and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. I would recommend the Flamingo for an economical choice near downtown Tucson.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the back of the hotel are probably a bit quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with the Quality Inn Flamingo and for writing a positive review on Trip Advisor. We take pride in the Quality Inn Flamingo’s Retro Feel and we updated the rooms to feel modern and unique. We our glad you enjoyed the extended breakfast buffet and we continue to add items to ensure everyone’s need are meet. We are taking your comments and using them to make us a better property and we hope you can see the positive changes on your next trip to Tucson. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again.
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Newly remodeled or so it looked like it was. Room smelled musty right as you walked into room and also during our stay. Only bad thing about room. Towels kind of thin. Continental breakfast was nothing to brag about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

qualityflamingo, General Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and comments. We have been recently upgraded and continue to make improvements to our rooms and breakfast. We thank you very much and value your business with us. The staff and I hope to see you again next time you are in the Tucson area.
Reading, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were in Tucson for the Gem, mineral and fossil show in Feb. The Flamingo is in the center of the city, they have ample parking and even had the Native American Craft Show. We arrived on Tues. and were given a room in the back corner. It was quiet and a nice location since the front of the hotel is on one of the main streets in Tucson. However, the wifi didn't work in the room, it did work quite well in the breakfast room. It is an older style hotel, but has been updated although they kept their 60's feel. It was a bit cold for the pool or whirlpool, so I am not sure of their condition, but they looked OK from outside the fence. The breakfast was adequate with waffles, eggs, breakfast meat, cereals, breads etc. The staff was friendly and helpful. I felt it was a good deal for the price and location.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for room toward the back
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
qualityflamingo, General Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. We have continued to work hard and make great improvements along the way. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel the week-end of the rock and gem show. The room we were given could not be used as the smell was unbelievable. The manager tried to tell us that the cleaning lady used too much cleaning product but it was way beyond that. We were finally moved to another room which was basically OK. The pool and hot tub were full of grunge and needed a good cleaning. The breakfast buffet ran out of yogurt, had no meat and minimal fruit. The internet was supposed to be Wi Fi but did not work. We were happy to leave and would not go back. An old property in need of some major work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and for your comments. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I would love the opportunity to invite you back and show you some of the improvements we have made. Please call the hotel directly so I can book your reservation personally. I look forward to hearing back from you.
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

No internet wireless internet connection at all. In view of the previous reviews I asked the desk man at check if it was working now. He said it was working fine now. He lied.

The air in the small room seemed stale.

The bathroom was very dimly illuminated

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
qualityflamingo, General Manager at Quality Inn Flamingo, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and comments. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wish to apologize on behalf of my entire team. We will continue to work hard to earn your business and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please contact the hotel and ask for the General Manager so we he can speak with you about your stay. We look forward to hearing back from you.
Chico, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

When traveling, I want a clean room, comfy bed, internet etc. You get that here, with a quirky older 60ish feel in the lobby, and freshly appointed rooms. Love it! Oh, and breakfast too.
Staff is very helpful

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank yo so much for the great review and your comments. We will continue to work hard to earn your business and we look forward to seeing you again on your visit to Tucson.

Been to Quality Inn Flamingo? Share your experiences!