“Missed opportunity” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona
“Missed opportunity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel has the potential to be a lovely property, but misses the mark. First, we were put in a strangely bare room with no fireplace, even though we were paying for a deluxe fireplace room. They did move us to another room, but it was certainly not deluxe. The fireplace was nice and the bed was very comfortable, but the furnishings and artwork are sparse and uninviting. The bed linens were wrinkled. It would be an easy fix to add some comfortable seating near the fireplace, an accent table, some paintings scaled to the size of the walls, and unwrinkled sheets.
The landscaping was well maintained, but also lacking in imagination and beauty. The location is convenient, the property is clean, the staff is friendly. It wouldn't take much to make this a stand out hotel, but not as it currently is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Frenchtown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Lodge on the Desert gives travelers so much for their money. We arrived earlier than expected and called from the road to request an early check-in. I explained my trunk would not lock, and I needed to at least hold our luggage and laptops at the hotel until our room was ready. The gentleman on the phone told me he would make certain our room was ready when we arrived, and it was.

Chaese at the front desk was attentive and welcoming. He offered suggestions about what to do in the area and suggested the best routes to travel. When we checked out two days later, he specifically asked about all members of our family, to ensure everyone had a nice stay. There were many people at the hotel when we were there, I was happily surprised he remembered our daughters so well. GREAT, VERY PERSONAL SERVICE!

Our room was clean, spacious and had wonderful coffee. It was lovingly decorated. The balcony was small, but we happily made use of it. The grounds were very nicely maintained, and felt very private, even though we were close to town. I was truly amazed at all we got for the very reasonable price we paid for our stay.

We had a $50.00 hotel credit which we used at the restaurant. The setting was lovely, and the food was very good. We had breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. Dinner was a bit pricey, but the outdoor fire pit and convenience of the location made it worth it. Breakfast was delicious and more reasonably priced for what was offered. The breakfast menu was very extensive, especially for a hotel. I enjoyed a wonderful watermelon, sea salt and coconut milk drink with breakfast. Had we stayed longer, I would have tried a different drink each morning. I usually just have coffee and water with breakfast, but the drinks looked too wonderful to pass up!

I spend at least six weeks a year in hotels, and the Lodge at the Desert is the best bargain, by far, I have found.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A real surprise...not your average hotel restaurant. The salmon was very tasty and really well presented. Wine wist was ok , even though there was no New Zealand Sav Blanc...a must have whtie....We will be back

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is the most uneven hotel experience I've ever had. I read the TA reviews but we love hotels that are not cookie cutter so we decided to book a traditional fireside king room. Our room was not great - dark and not exactly inviting. Things like - of the 3 windows 2 had nice dark colored "wooden" blinds and the 3rd had a old white plastic blind you can buy at target for $9.99. The screen on the bathroom window was on the inside - odd and you could not open the bathroom window. Basically the room needs a nice clean ( but historic) remodel. When the fireplace would not stay lit ( this is gas people) after having staff come in twice and the heater would not work I called the front desk. They said they were 100% sold for the night but would move us the next morning. When I pointed out we were paying for a fireplace that would not work they offered a discounted rate for that night. The next day they did move us to an Amazing room - terra cotta tile floors, beamed ceiling, huge space and nice bathroom. The point is both of these rooms are "traditional fireside king" rooms so how do you know what you are going to get ? - You don't and THAT is the problem.I can't say enough about the staff - when we could not find our room and asked a housekeeper - she stopped what she was doing and said 'I'll take you there" - They Did discount out first night ( a very fair amount too) And also took off a lunch carge from our bill. These people are friendly, accommodating and just fantastic at making you feel welcome and dealing with problems. Would I stay there again ? Maybe. IF I could get the second room ? Absolutly ! Oh and BTW the award winning chef in the restaurant ? also uneven - the grilled salad and cheese plate were Amazing, but the steak ? UGH awful. Had to send it back and the second one was also inedible - the award winning tacos ? chipolte called and want their recipie back - Pass on those ! Try Poco Cosa or wild garlic grill - both outstanding food and very reasonable prices :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
hotstackjg@aol.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We recently stayed for one night @ LODGE ON THE DESERT. No, it isn't "on the desert,' but no matter. We live on the desert and wanted a nice lodge close in in TUCSON. We booked a room through HOTELS.COM at a bit of a savings. We had a spacious room with king bed. Not overly large bath, but more than adequate. All was clean and nicely appointed. Two large bathrobes were furnished. The in room coffee was STARBUCKS, a first for us. A small table and two chairs outside the door on a small patio. The grounds are pleasant and well kept. There is a restaurant, but we did not go.Front desk person was pleasant. A good hotel choice. Would recommend.

Room Tip: No idea. We were in a single story unit @ back of property.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The name is deceiving, for this lodge is far from the desert. Instead it's surrounded by suburbia and shopping malls. I had to ride nine miles on my bike past endless strip malls and just about every store and restaurant chain you can imagine to get to anything resembling a desert.

I booked a room for $158 on Expedia. I was given a room in a single story building. The door was difficult to open because it rubbed against the floor. The cranks to open the windows were broken or missing.

There was no wireless or wired internet access. When I asked why I was told that it wasn't available in the "historic" section. I didn't realize that I had been given a room in the "historic" section, but I should have paid more attention to the gentlemen in front of me at check-in who was very dis-satisfied and was desperately attempting to change his room.

Based on all the positive reviews I see in TripAdvisor I can surmise that the "non-historic" section of the hotel is quite nice. I wish I had stayed there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for providing me with your comments on your recent stay. Our hotel has two distinct sections for our guests. We have a modern, yet southwestern in style, section and a historic section which embodies many of the features found in buildings which were built over the years. We have found that when our hotel is at 100% occupancy it is possible that a guest may not be accustomed to a guest room building which has individual character and quite simply is not as "modern" as newer hotels, even our own. One of the unique features of our hotel is the individualism of each of our historic rooms. From the tile floors to the beamed ceilings they are unique, but admittedly not modern. Many guests love this type of "not cookie cutter" rooms and we love offering this experience. I would offer that the description is not quite accurate but I accept your concerns. Please give us another chance and I can guarantee an experience with quite a different feel.
reno, nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I first noticed the Lodge when driving by some 10 years ago. The atmosphere is lovely--very southwestern. Unique. It's conveniently located, the rooms are large and comfortable--everything was perfect. Nice staff.

Along with the El Rey in Santa Fe, they're my favorite hotels!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lodge on the Desert? Share your experiences!