“Lovely, very Tucson experience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
99 Days of Summer!
Ranked #14 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Lovely, very Tucson experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Lodge on the Desert for our wedding weekend last week, and so did many of our wedding guests. For the very reasonable price it's a lovely and relaxing place. The central location is super convenient for getting around Tucson, and though the grounds are not extensive they're pleasant and very desert-y. The restaurant is fantastic, and the pool and lobby are beautiful. All the rooms that I saw have gas fireplaces, and the beds are ridiculously comfortable.

Our wedding guests, who all stayed in the new wing, LOVED their stays. We stayed in the bridal suite on the historic side. Our room was very comfortable and spacious, with a huge closet and huge porch looking north at the Catalina mountains. Besides the slightly-out-of-date bathroom it was glorious. The rooms in the historic wing are all unique; some are great and some are a little, well funky. I'd recommend talking to hotel staff about what you're looking for.

This is a small hotel and we really liked that. The size came with both perks and drawbacks, though. Room service was only available when there happened to be enough staff in the restaurant, and they could never tell us in advance whether there would be enough staff at the next meal to deliver room service. On the other hand, no one ever seemed to come lock up the pool and hot tub at night! Though there were a few quirks, everything was very clean and the staff were friendly. We're already planning to go back for an anniversary.

Room Tip: Pros and Cons to historic vs. new wing: The rooms in the historic wing are much more Southwest-y...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband & I stayed here over a long weekend and felt very pampered. We were in a King Deluxe room and it was very spacious. Although breakfast was not included in our package that was not a big deal for us...there are several places to choose from nearby. Our room was very inviting, comfortable and neat. The staff was very helpful and courteous.

My husband and I like to exercise and the pool was great because it is bigger than most hotels so you could swim laps, it was also warm on those cool mornings. There is a three mile public running/walking path around a golf course just a few blocks away and that was perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

The primary recommendation I would have is NOT to stay in the historic wing. Although I did not see rooms in the other areas, I cannot imagine they would come close to this poor. Where to start: the television audio only worked on about 1/4 of the channels, the AC or heat did not work (it kicked on for about 1 minute then inexplicably stopped so when I arrived the room was at 75 degrees and when I woke up it was 63), the wifi connection did not work, the cold water in the bathroom shower did not work without some major finesse (push the knob in as hard as you can then simultaneously twist and repeat), the bathroom itself had mildew at the shower and sink, and employees at the hotel laundry directly outside my room kept me up till 1045pm and woke me up at 715am.

Needing to get work done, I called the front desk about the lack of wifi and mentioned some of the other issues as well. They offered to transfer me to another room the following day. I reminded them that I was only staying that evening. Their solution was to come and work in the lobby.

To top it off, they have double charged my card for the room even after they presented me with a paper receipt stating they refunded the additional charge. This was a few days ago so should have gone through, now I expect to have to call and haggle with them.

The grounds are phenomenal - lushly landscaped with well kept specimens of many desert succulents - and the pool was a very nice amenity and well kept. Unfortunately that is the only positive thing I can say and the sole qualifier that steps this review from one to two stars.

PS. I booked this through a discount travel site and if I had paid full price I would have felt even more misled!

Room Tip: DON'T stay in the so-called "historic" wing.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
It is obvious that we did not meet your expectations and certainly not ours. On the night in question we placed you in a room which was intended to be placed out of order, our language for a room not to be sold. I sincerely apologize for this mistake on our part. At times, our own best intentions to offer only the highest quality accomodations is not met. I won't go into each of the points you made and will state that we would like to offer you a complimentary night on a return stay as gesture of our sincerity. We typically receive excellent reviews on all of our accomodations and your review is taken quite seriously on our part as we strive to meet each and every guests expectations. Our historic section is not as you described it but the room was indeed unacceptable. It is possible in every hotel to have rooms which are not up to par and this was one. Thank you for the kind words on our grounds and I wished you could have enjoyed the excellent food and beverage offerings we have at the Lodge on the Desert. I hope that you will contact me so that I can provide you with an experience normally enjoyed by guests of the Lodge on the Desert.
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Huge rooms for spreading out, shower was big enough for 3 people, and the staff was superb. Definitely recommend this place for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hinesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Everyone is SO nice here, very customer-service oriented. Hot tub and pool are GREAT, size, condition, well-kept. Food is top notch - their chef Ryan Clark won “The Original Iron Chef” at the 2011 Tucson Culinary Experience - GREAT food from breakfast through dinner...rooms are very comfortable, southwest style, clean. Grounds are very well kept and the rooms are all in separate buildings connected by walkways with local plants alongside, etc. Very private feeling, like the Lodge's private neighborhood and all the amenities to go with it just a winding path away...

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel. So clean , quiet, and pretty. The grounds and buildings are so well kept that it almost looks new. Very secure feeling in parking lot, too. The restaurant was absolutely fantastic. We had dinner, breakfast, and happy our bar food across our 3 days there. All terrific. Will make this an annual trek from Phoenix.

• Stayed February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Great find. Some of the rooms on the 2nd floor have balcanies, which are nice to have.. They will bring you chairs if you need them. Stayed in a single room and got a cot for an extra person. Had plenty of room. Loved the property, the services was great. WIll stay again many times, since we get to Tucson on a yearly basis. Great parking and they don't charge for it.

Room Tip: Restaurant has a limited breakfast menu. We most likely will go somewhere else for breakfast when w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Lodge on the Desert? Share your experiences!