“This place is a dump” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Inn

You added Stone Inn to your Saves list
Stone Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1248 North Stone Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705 (Formerly Rodeway Inn Tucson)   |
Ranked #118 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
phoenix, az
“This place is a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

"Renovated in 2007"? Not. We booked 2 smoking rms in advance. Arrived and were told there were none "ready". In fact, the entire smoking wing is under construction. Gave us 2 non-smoking rms. Torn carpet, mold in bathroom, falling ceiling, etc. There WAS a new bathroom sink in each room. That's "renovation"? Continental breakfast: 1 small coffee pot that couldn't keep up with demand. A box of small plastic-sealed gummy doughnuts. And finally, a desk clerk who answer to every question ("Why don't we have a remote control for our tv?") was a shrug.

At best, this is a $10 room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Marina, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

First, this is now Family Inn and Suites. They lost their Super 8 branding, and for good reason.
I got this on Hotwire, out of a morbid curiosity for what could be the 1-star in Central Tucson with a pool (I thought it was another place that's not as bad). I think it was this area getting its revenge because I could have dedicated my life telling people to avoid this strip of motels. It's on the edge of an area infested with prostitution, drugs and general crime, and, although slightly better than the more infamous ones on Oracle and Drachman, the strip still doesn't fare well. The police and the hotels themselves have worked hard at keeping that element out of this corridor. For instance, the hotel next door will not give you a room if your drivers license has a Tucson address. And Pima Community College across the street regularly patrols down Stone.
So it was of really no surprise when the clerk at the front desk was wearing a holstered, large caliber semi-automatic pistol. If I worked there at night, so would I. Hotwire majorly screwed me over, although the clerk was nice about it and actually saved me about $20, but refused to check me in without charging my card again (I had to spend 90 minutes on the phone with Hotwire before I got a refund from them). I would have taken that opportunity to back out, but I was worried that Hotwire would try to take my money and run (and they would have!).
This motel has two buildings separated by an alley. I was unfortunately in the far building, which felt really unsafe and seemed to be of lower quality. The exterior of splotched paint is a nice foreshadow for what you'll find in the room. The bed was actually very clean, which was a surprise, but lots of spots on the carpet, cracks in the walls and the quintessential wall A/C unit that doesn't quite fit into the slot so that there's a small hole to the outside (a necessity in every nasty motel). And don't even get me started on the wall outlets. I was greeted to the bathroom by an ant with wings on the sink. No other bugs, but I assumed that the dead ant's later disappearance was some other insect getting a meal.
I was surprised that, in the two nights I was there, there was no noise, my car was not broken into, the stuff in my room was not stolen, and the crackheads seemed to stay on the street outside. However, I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into when I knew I was going to this place. I felt really bad for the tourists who were there expecting a clean, safe and comfortable motel for the night.
I love living in Tucson and encourage people to visit, but staying at places like this to try to save some money and still be close to the city will just ruin your vacation. There are several areas in town that are just as bad, if not worse, so make sure you ask locals (maybe on the TA forums) before you book anything sight unseen.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

Stayed here last week. The rooms are not very clean. Stayed 2 nights. The first room was ok but during the night could not sleep due the person in the upstairs room walking around and it made a lot of noise for us downstairs. The walls and floors seem to be very thin. The next day we asked them to give us a room upstairs. When we moved in, the room had a bad odor but unfortunately that was the only room available. The carpet in the room was wet in one section and when we informed the front office the person there said he will inform the manager and that was it - nothing was done. They say they have wifi but the signel is very weak and keeps breaking up - this happened in both the rooms. The breakfast was very basic. But the people running the motel are nice. Would avoid this place next visit to Tucson.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stone Inn? Share your experiences!