“Lots of fun, tasty breakfast, nice pools.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
riss82
“Lots of fun, tasty breakfast, nice pools.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Great service, the concierge was very helpful in giving us reccommendations, drawing out a highlighted route on a map, and getting us to the activities that we would enjoy the most.

The pools are great too. They had a little fake grotto kind of set up around the pools, so the kids area was effectively sealed away and the rest of us didn't have to see those little rats. The spa was tucked away in a private area, too, which was kind of neat. There was one hot tub that was big and branched into three separate areas, in order to allow you to feel a little bit more comfortable if other couples were sharing the same one. Also, a neat little waterfall spills into one of the "cold springs" tubs.

The room was about average, and the bathtub was a bit small, so sharing a shower was a little bit less than awesome, but if you intend to only get clean, it was just like a normal one in a house would be. The bed linens were very comfortable, the blankets were white, and therefore, you know they have to actually clean them, unlike a lot of hotels where they only wash the sheets in between each guest.

The walls are nice and thick. I never heard any of the neighbors once, you'd have thought we had the place to ourselves, until we went into the halls and could see people walking around.

Also, the breakfast buffet was really nice and had a great spread, including a waffle bar and an omelet cook.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
chandler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We've stayed at El Conquistador before. It's not usually our first choice in Tucson because of it's location so far from the center of town but my husband ran a half marathon in Oro Valley and we wanted to stay somewhere close to the race itself. A priceline booked room at $82/nt...and the El Conquistador was a done deal.

We've always enjoyed our stay ehre. The setting is gorgeous with mountain and city views everywhere. Lots of bunnies and quails to be seen all over the place. The grounds are well kept and enjoyable to roam. We don't golf but the course looks beautiful. We do play tennis and while we iddn't play this time we have played on the courts here before. There are 15+ well-kept courts and we've found the pros to be friendly and accomodating both for lessons and for finding people for the hotel guests to play with. The pool area is well-kept, not as fancy as some of the newer resorts but still very nice.

Rooms are comfortable and while not huge not too small either. Most amenities are available in the room though ours iddnt have an ice bucket and glasses. Oversight by housekeeping probably. The beds were very comfortable.

The economy seems to be having an effect(as noted by the $82 rate we paid)....so the restaurants are closed in shifts. Coffee shop open for breakfast/lunch. Finer dining at dinner. The western steakhouse looked to be closed this visit? Don't know what the situation with that is. We ate lunch in the coffee shop and ordered dinner from room service. Service in both cases was prompt(including room service!) and the food while nothing special was hot and tasty.

The biggest drawyback of the El Conquistador is the location. IT's far from the city center and most sights in Tucson if you're looking to get out and around town. IF you're just looking to check in and relax and enjoy the resort it's a nice play to stay. We've particularly enjoyed checking in here during the summer to watch monsoon storms build over the nearby mountains and then come rolling in to cool things off a bit.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

My husband was on a business trip here so I planned to do some hiking and exercising. They do not have any bikes and there is no sidewalk/trail on the actual grounds but there is one really good hiking trail that starts by the tennis courts. The exercise room is smallish. They will let you use the Country Club facilities which are located about 2-3 miles away (didn't go). Rented a car and drove to Catalina Park, downtown, Sabino, and Tubac. We ate our dinners out. I had a bagel and an OJ for 8$ for breakfast one day at the hotel. The rooms are adobe style on the outside, single floor w/porches. Beds were plush and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Stayed four nights in late February, seemed like at times we had the whole place to ourself. Most afternoons there were only a few people and families around the main pool. The children's pool would be appropriate for kids 10 and under, the main pool had water basketball and volleyball which kept our 12 year old busy. Spent every afternoon around the pool finished with a dip in the hot and cold tubs, very therapeutic. We stayed in Bldg 1, ground floor facing the pool, outside patio area was great for morning coffee and before dinner drinks. The room was nicely decorated, comfy linens, pillows and mattress. Considering the great deal we got on the internet to stay here, splurged on a body wrap at the spa. Felt like a queen, totally relaxed and glowing when finished. The beautiful grounds, green grass area and flowers were a sight for sore eyes used to only snow this time of year. We ate off site every morning and evening, all kinds of options within 2-3 miles from hotel--fast food, whole foods/grocery store, chain restaurants and unique sit-down places. We would love to make this a regular winter destination.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

Very nice resort with a attentive staff and comfortable casitas roooms. Grounds and pool area were great with super mountain views. Plenty of golfing on the property with 2 18 holes and a 9 hole course. Super breakfast buffet and nice patio environment for eating outside. Met all our expectations and we will be staying there on our next trip to Tucson. We had zero problems.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I travel to Tucson every year in February and prefer to stay in 3+ star properties. This was my first time at this particular property. I had a friend set me up with a rate so I definitely saved from the standard individual traveler's rack rate.

I called the day of check in to confirm my reservation and let them know that I would be arriving late (around midnight). I took a chance in asking if they had any upgrades available and was told that they could accommodate. (My reservation was for a standard king.) I was upgraded to a Casita for no charge ( living & dining area with fire place, wet bar, and mini fridge with a semi-private patio). *Note that the Casitas are a bit of a hike from the main building.

The staff was incredibly helpful and polite at all times and the room was in terrific condition and impeccably clean. There was plenty of parking available, free of charge. *Parking was a short walk from the room as most of the Casitas can only be accessed by golf cart.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant- very impressive. There is a Chef available making omelets, waffles, etc. I will admit that $20.00 (per person) is a bit for breakfast, but it's a hotel so I was expecting it (have to say- worth every penny).

There were several pools staggered throughout the property: 1 pool and 2 spas by the Casitas and 1 pool, 2 spas, a kidie pool, and a water slide at the main building. There is also a full service bar with a limited menu at the main pool. I thought the pricing in the outlets was reasonable and the service was very prompt.

I also visited the spa during my stay. The entrance was a little hard to find (you need to go through the fitness center). I was a little discouraged when I entered the locker room as it very gym-like (I guess I just expected more?). The atmosphere made me a little nervous as this was my first time in 5 years straying from my normal massage venue. This COMPLETELY changed when I met Sharon and was led to the actual spa facility. Best massage EVER. I got the 80 minute pomegranate scrub, massage, and wrap for $150.00. I thought the pricing was remarkable for the services provided and length of time and attention given.

I would like to comment, again, on the staff and their above and beyond service... As I mentioned, the Casitas are a hike (literally, uphill) to the main building/ pool area. My grandmother came by to see the room and needed assistance getting up to the pool area. We called the front desk to see if someone would come by with a golf cart and assist us. Within 5 minutes we had a cart and driver escorting us up to the pool. Fantastic follow through.

I have to say that this property boasts an incredible location, views, and service and I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
san jose, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Fantastic Resort!!! My son attends the University of Arizona and we love staying at this hotel whenever we visit him. We have been staying there over the last four years. During our first few stays the service was a little lacking, but that has changed. The new renovation has given the facility a fresh look and the service seems to have steadily improved. We have noticed marked improvements in the service and hospitality at the front desk and bell desk. The concierge is very knowledgeable and always suggests something new to do every time we stay.

As far as we're concerned this is the best resort in Tucson. I have used the golf facilities and the three courses are beautiful. The surrounding property gives us the perfect views and the sunsets are absolutely breath taking.

We love the 24 hour pool and the fire pits that surround it. It's easy to forget the rat race in California and enjoy visiting with our son who insists on joining us at the resort. He loves relaxing from school and the bustle of Tucson while staying at the hotel.

We enjoy eating on property at the two restaurants or venturing out at the five star restaurants near the resort.

My son will graduate this year, but we plan on coming back to Tucson just to stay at this resort.

• Liked — The view and the ability to relax. Great rooms and excellent service.
  • Disliked — I had to pay for internet in my room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!