“Friendly & professional Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #26 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Friendly & professional Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Very professional & friendly service, especially Jennifer S at the front desk and Gino at Sundance. They are truly an asset to this organization: Customer friendly, going the extra step, detail oriented, and professional. Guadalupe, who was responsible for our room, was also very cordial and customer service oriented. Crystal (from WF, NC) at the front desk during check out was also very courteous and professional.
We had the hospitality suite, which has one bedroom, two (2) full bathrooms, TV area, living/sitting area, dinning table for 6, mini-kitchen (only microwave, sink, small fridge), and a small desk. It is great for a family (3 to 5). It has a connecting door to a 2 bed room with bathroom, if you need an additional room. 5 to 8 would sleep/stay comfortably in this 2 room setting. Location is also good and quiet: 3 to 5 minute walk to the pool, lobby, Sundance and about 7 to 10 minute walk to the tennis courts. Parking is about 2 to 5 minutes from your room, depending how full the parking lot is. If you are lucky, you may see in early morning or late evening boars, rabbits, quails. I agree that the carpet should of the hospitality suite should be truly cleaned.
Sundance: The "continental" breakfast buffet has something for everyone: eggs, bacon/sausages, pancakes, fruits, bagels, pastry, yogurt, fresh juice. As I mentioned above, Gino provides an incredible professional service to both adults and kids. Gracias Gino por tus atenciones.
Recommendation to the General Manager at the resort: The Pool and the area around the pool is too small for the size of this resort, especially on special weekend, such as 4th of July. On the 4th of July weekend the pool and the pool area was packed (yes literally) and you could barely fit another person into the pool. Especially when the resort charges the additional Resort FEE of $20 on top of the room rate, I would expect more.
The Pool Bar was understaffed for the 4th of July weekend. The staff was working very hard not to keep the customers waiting (I empathize with the staff). At one point I counted at least 7 to 10 people waiting for 6 to 14 minutes at the Bar to place their order (and that does not include people who probably saw the line and decided not to buy a drink); i.e. I am sorry but that is a long wait to get a drink/snack in a 5 star resort.
Tennis courts: Overall nice facility. However, since El Conquistador hosts many tournaments, I would recommend that most of the courts (ideally all courts) should have the lower height (4ft) fence between the courts to separate the courts so that the balls don't go over to the other court and disrupt that match. Currently the courts have the tall fences that stop around the base line.

Room Tip: Choose the end hospitality suite (1576) because you only have one neighbor, the furthest away from t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our wonderful team members and the quality of service you received. I have personally recognized each of the team members you mentioned.

Your feedback regarding our recent holiday weekend has been shared with our operations team, and we will take your comments into consideration as we plan future holiday events. Also, thank you for your insight regarding our tennis courts.

Our team will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We booked a room several weeks ago for the fourth of July event and planned on having a great time as we have for many years at this resort. When we checked in we found out that you now have to pay another high fee to see the fireworks from the grass area, where we have sat for many years. We chose not to do this and sat in front of the lobby with many others sharing the same problem. After you have paid this much for a room why should you have to pay extra to sit on grass??

The late afternoon of the fourth we spent at the very crowded pool/water slide. We purchased drinks and lemonade for the kids at the pool bar. The lemonade was seriously bad, smelled bad, tasted bad - like sewer water. When we took it back to the poolside bar we were told, "everyone is complaining about it, just get something else". Being very concerned about the health issue of this I went to the front desk and asked for the highest level manager I could get. I got the food manager who said he was sorry and would look into it. We went back an hour later and asked for lemonade and got exactly the same bad smelling, bad tasting lemonade (which I kept so that I can show it to the Pima County Health Department when I complained to them).

We gave up on refreshments for the kids and moved on with the evening. Had the fireworks, sat in front of the lobby, checked out the next morning. And guess what, we paid the full bill for the drinks at the pool bar. No reduction, no we're sorry for your experience, nothing.

We have stayed at this resort for years. Between our disgusting experience and that of friends who stayed the same weekend, we are done and will go elsewhere even if it costs more or is farther away. They have a serious management and customer satisfaction problem.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I apologize for the miscommunication regarding the 4th of July Fireworks show. Just to clarify, we have never charged our registered guests a fee to watch the fireworks. Perhaps you were referencing the “Stars & Stripes Classic BBQ” which is a BBQ buffet that we offer, as another dining option, to both our guests and outside patrons on the 4th of July, and yes we do charge for the BBQ. The live concert and fireworks are entertainment that we provide for guests who choose to spend their 4th of July holiday with us. Our holiday weekends and activities have become a tradition for many families and friends over the years.

I regret that you were disappointed with the beverages at the Desert Springs Pool Bar, our soft drink lines have been recently changed by an outside vendor. It’s an entirely new system, and we’ve not had any other complaints regarding the integrity of the beverages served. I will share your feedback with our food & beverage manager so that they can further investigate the issue.
Thank you for your review, and again, I apologize for your disappointing experience.
Tucson, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked a casita, because of the reviews I read here on Tripadvisor, and from the moment I walked into the lobby to check in I was not impressed. The first thing I noticed was the lobby smelled musty and old and that is exaclty how the casita smelled and looked. The carpet was pretty dirty looking and worn well past needing replaced. The couch in the livingroom had tears and stains which told me that who knows if or when it had ever been cleaned. The patio overlooked a clump of mesquite trees in serious need of pruning and the patio furniture was dust covered wood that should have had nice cushions if it were a "real" resort. Although I did not sleep late, the maid service working next door kept going in and out allowing the door to SLAM against the security latch which was highly annoying! I am completely disappointed that I wasted several thousand of my Hilton points on one night here at a "resort" in serious need of remodeling, cleaning and doing something with that pathetic patio furniture and view. The Hyatt resorts I've stayed at would put this place to shame.

Room Tip: Casitas are very roomy but in serious need of remodel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as it relates to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointments with your room accommodations, and view. Please be assured, I have spoken to the department head about the housekeeping staff and to ensure any necessary re-training takes place. I anticipate a room refresh in the near future, so I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Lynn Ericksen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We went to stay for the 4th of July weekend. We took in the fireworks (courtesy of the hotel every year), as well as the amazing views of the Catalina Mountains, relaxed in the pools and hot tub, and ordered in room service. The fireworks were great, our kids liked the pool and water slide. The food was decent, but rather pricey. July 4th weekend required a 2-night minimum, and drew many families...this is not the time for a quiet romantic get away and maybe the reason service seemed overall less than expected. Our family had drifted off one night and were awakened by a (possibly drunk) woman who had mistaken our door for hers...despite me telling her it wasn't her room, she continued to pound. It took security almost 10 minutes to arrive, with the pounding going on all of my family was awake. The next day when I inquired the front desk was "aware of the incident" and "sorry for the inconvenience"...that's all. That pretty well summarized the service experience...staff were friendly, just regularly slow and not always accommodating, which was a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, mountain view rooms are worth an upgrade if for a romantic get away...ot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as it relates to your recent stay over the 4th of July weekend. I am pleased that you enjoyed our spectacular fireworks show and the beautiful mountain views. Please be assured, I have spoken to the department head about the timeliness of our security team in regards to the issue you encountered, and I apologize that our team member did not seem appropriately concerned. Your experience is not typical, and is certainly not the service level that we strive to deliver our guests. I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome your family again in the very near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I booked a king room for the fourth of july weekend. We also had several other friends staying at the El Conquistador to celebrate the holiday together. When my husband and I got there the front desk clerk notified us that the hotel was overbooked for the Fourth of July so my husband and I were sent to the marriott that was at the end of the property (bad experience with cleanliness of that hotel). During the explanation of the issue a couple of managers came out to speak with us, made us promises then promptly dissapeared. I would have hoped that they would follow up with their guests... The check in person, Dallas, helped us as much as he could. When he didn't know fully what the manager Anastacia had told us he had to go find her. It would have been nice to have a manager there for the process before having to send Dallas looking for her. When we got to the Mariott that was supposedly booked for us we waited an hour because of a mix up with what Anastacia did, or did not communicate with them. This caused us to be very late to the Fourth of July event and had our friends waiting. However the fourth of july event was pretty incredible wish we could have been there earlier! The next day they upgraded us to a casita when it was available (they told us as soon as possible in the morning but it wasn't until actual check in time) it was a nice room, but we could hear the neighbors conversations television and other embarrassing things. The pool area was fun, beautiful and well maintained. The staff there was great! We went out to dinner off of the property and came back to go hang out at the pool again and the large family pool closed early at 10. That was understandable so we asked about the adult pool, which also closed at 10. Big disappointment. All in all we were largely unable to enjoy our weekend due mainly to the overbooking. I have never had such negative issues with a Hilton resort.

Room Tip: Aparantly arrive very early if you are there for any sort of event... :) The casitas were very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. While I am glad you enjoyed our annual Stars & Stripes 4th of July event, I regret we were not able to provide you the room accommodations you wanted on the first night of your stay, and the inconvenience you may have experienced staying off property. Even though you were unable to check-in early to your upgraded king bedroom casita, I am pleased that our team was able to provide you with an upgraded more spacious suite for the remainder of your stay. Also, when we are unable to honor a reservation, we provide alternate accommodations on a complimentary basis along with other benefits, and that did occur in this situation. In situations where we cannot provide early check-ins we are able to store your belongings in a secure room so that our guests can enjoy the resort amenities.
I appreciate your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for improvements. I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The property is beautiful and well maintained. When I checked in, I was upgraded to a casita away from the main hotel and it was so nice. It was like a one bedroom apartment. I spent about 10 days there so it was really nice. The only downside, but still not enough to make me go anywhere else, was the parking for the casita. I didn't have parking near my casita and had to park in the lot. If you have any health issues just ask for a casita with parking closer or stay in the hotel. I had co-workers in the hotel and the rooms there were beautiful, too. The summer price was unbelievably low. The main pool area was gorgeous. It would be a perfect place for families. I didn't have much time to play because I was working all of those 10 days I was there, but it was wonderful!

Room Tip: I was in Casita 1540 and it was hard to find and not very good for anyone with health issues. If you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Our one bedroom casitas are very comfortable, especially when you have an extended stay planned. I apologize for the parking challenges you experienced during your stay, and please know that our bell desk can always assist with golf cart shuttle service to and from your room. We look forward to your return visit, and hope that you will be able to enjoy relaxing by the pool!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The El Conquistador is a beautiful resort and worth staying at. The only downsides are that it is a little bit pricey for what you get and it is located a decent distance from the centre of Tucson (i.e. you will need a car). Otherwise, it's a great place with very helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and the service from our team. We do recommend renting a car for our guests who wish to experience all that Tucson has to offer. Our Concierge is always happy to assist with planning off-site activities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!