“Very nice resort!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
El Paso, Texas
“Very nice resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here over the extended Memorial Day weekend and had a great time! The grounds are lovely and meticulously taken care of. Sitting by the pool in the evenings and looking up to the moonlit mountains as a backdrop- priceless! They also have a jam-packed events calendar for both kids and adults. We very much enjoyed the movie by the pool, the star-gazing event, and the animals brought by the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum staff. (FYI: The star-gazing isn't just looking up at the sky- they have enthusiastic staff come in from the local planetarium - I assume- with two large telescopes. We saw Saturn, the Milky Way Galaxy, and something else I can't remember at this time...very cool.)

Our room was clean, kinda "meh" as far as decor, but we didn't spend much time in there either. (We had a standard room with two queen beds.) Also, the beds were very comfortable- now I am picky about beds! (We have a $7k mattress at home.) Slept very well- my husband says the same for him. If view is important to you, I would highly suggest asking to see if you could get one at a higher level than ground (like we had) and/or one not facing the parking areas. It didn't really matter to us too much, but I had wanted to sit outside and enjoy the earlier part of the mornings with a cup of coffee. I always tend to wake up before everyone else when we are on vacation...and this is part of my routine. However, we had a patio that faced the cars in the parking areas (behind building #1). Not a big deal, but thought I would mention it for those whose view matters to them.

Pros:

Location! It is in a quieter part of Tucson, but close enough to things to do outside the resort should you wish.

Cleanliness- was very clean inside the room and out.

Pools- they have several, including one with a good-sized slide. They also have a pool that is for only 16+ years in age. (I am not sure if this is only for the casita renters only- so double check.)

This is a true resort with many activities going on to keep everyone busy.

Professionalism- excellent staff from check-in to housekeeping. (The room attendant always supplied us with new shampoo, conditioner, etc. They even have after-sun lotion as well.)

Restaurants- There are four places to eat here. Although we only had breakfast once at the hotel, it was very good. We ate outside in the shaded area and it was very pleasant. (**We had no idea they also had a child's menu available or we would have eaten there every morning! On their website, it only shows the main menu.) Breakfast buffet was much cheaper for the kids. (Otherwise, according to their website- it would have been $19 each or $80 for a buffet for 4 which is the reason we didn't go there sooner than our last day there.)

Safety- We felt very safe here. The patio even has no less than like 3 different ways to lock it, which was kinda funny to me, but for those with younger kids/toddlers, I thought I would add that in.

Wifi- This was the best/fastest we've experienced in a hotel in a long time!

Price- For what you get, it is a good deal. (**Should add that we got a Hotwire rate, which was even better! :-)

Cons- Really the only cons were the pool-side purchases we made. We had the nachos plate which was odd. It looked like a salad was dumped on top of it. (I asked my husband if they had got the order right because I had no idea there were even nachos in there.) The cheese and chili combo was just nasty tasting. We also had the shrimp ceviche- again was not good. Lastly, our drinks- I had the "Liquid Lifesaver" (I believe it was called)- it was HORRIBLE! Now, I am not a super picky person and I only casually drink. However, when we go on vacation- I like to have a drink by the pool and relax. It was BAD! It was literally like shaved ice with what tasted like mostly water and a dab of a pina colada taste. My husband's drink was not much better. So my advice is to maybe just get one drink there and see if maybe we just had bad luck that night.

Other than that, our stay was perfect and we look forward to returning when we go back to Tuscon. :-)

*I usually take pictures of the rooms, etc. when we go somewhere, but all of the photos are accurate on the website, so I saw no need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Tucson, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had a staycation at the Hilton because of a conference and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Great room at a great price! The Hilton offered great service. We ordered room service and it was delivered faster than we expected, the food was hot, and tasted amazing. The views at the hotel were amazing. Definitely worth staying here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

gilbert, az, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a great day relazing by the pool and having drinks Nice hotel and great staff So come on and shake it up a bit I really have to type more to make this 200 characters so it will let me submit what I have written Let me see if this is enough now

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our family stayed over Memorial Day wknd to visit family in Tucson. We were initially checked into a room that hadn't been cleaned but the problem was quickly resolved. The property was extremely clean and well-maintained. A wide variety of activities were offered over the holiday weekend, including an informative star-gazing evening. The pool was jam-packed and the music by the pool was blaring much too loud. But it was quiet and very enjoyable after the crowds left. I appreciated the separate kids' pools. Our room was in bldg 2 with a mountain view. If you look beyond the parking lot, the view was beautiful. The grounds are very well maintained and the gardens beautiful. The only food we ate there was via room service. The chlidrens hamburgers were adult-sized and absolutely delicious!

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at the El Conquistador over the Memorial Day weekend and had a wonderful time.
The hotel is very well appointed with beautifully landscaped grounds, the service was excellent.
We had breakfast every morning on the restaurant patio overlooking the grounds, the breakfast buffet was very good and the wait staff very attentive to our needs.

We stayed in one of their casitas over looking the private adult only pool only steps outside of our door. The casitas are very roomy, with a separate living area and kitchen.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Casitas are very private and roomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton El Conquistador Resort this past December while attending a meeting. The room could not have been more comfortable and the staff was superb. One of the other nice attractions is the gorgeous grounds and gardens. Although the pool was closed, the grounds were nevertheless well maintained. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Two nights in a king bed pool view room. The views are very nice and location of resort great....BUT.....at the resort pricing level they are at I feel that showers should drain properly, handles to showers and sinks should not be hanging on by a thread, rooms should have carpets cleaned periodically? Oh, and yes, if you complain the room gets maintenance for future guests, so glad I could assist them in their upkeep. Then there is the NEW resort charge. I have stayed here for years in the past and always used the exercise room. So, now you pay $20 per day for that convenience and there has been no upgrade of equipment. I believe that the next trip will find me staying at the Dove Mountain RITZ ...now that is a resort! The El Conquistador is slipping and is not up to Hilton standards for a resort.

Room Tip: Top floor..never a connecting room.....do not take pool view...very noisy till pool closes at 10 pm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hiltonelcon, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. I apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Been to Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!