“Haciendas - NO; Main Hotel - Yes” 4 of 5 stars

Omni Tucson National Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2727 West Club Drive, Tucson, AZ 85742   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Texas
“Haciendas - NO; Main Hotel - Yes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Had I not read the reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor before booking, this would be a scathing review. A guest from Minnesota wrote a detailed account of his stay which helped make our experience end on a better note as his did.

We booked through American Airlines what we thought would be a relaxing spa weekend for just the two of us. We checked in and were given directions to our room on the property. The minute I opened the door, I knew we were in one of the rooms that has not been renovated since the 90s. It was extremely spacious, but that doesn't mean comfortable. There is at least 10 ft. of nothing but empty space from the foot of the bed to the built-in armoire with the 24" tube TV, a small round table with 2 wooden side chairs - not conducive to watching the Rangers playoff game as my husband wanted to do. The bathroom is also spacious with a tub/shower and poured marble double sinks (reason I can assess the age.) The patio is covered and looks out across a concrete golf course access road to other bungalows, giving you the sense you're in a neighborhood - which does surround the golf course/property. There is no view of the mountains or golf course, and to avail yourself of the amenities in the hotel, you have to get in your car and drive up. My husband was extremely disappointed, so I called the front desk to ask about another room. At first, I was told they were fully booked and could not accommodate me with a king for both nights. I persisted, and honestly, if they had not given us something else, we were prepared to check out and stay somewhere else. After 5 minutes, the clerk called and said they had found something for us; we changed rooms and our impression changed dramatically. At the front desk, while we were being reassigned, the other clerk asked if we had stayed there before, which we hadn't. She asked if we had booked on their website or something else; we responded that we had used American Airlines. Like the other guest was told, she explained that when you use some other hotel website - Hotwire, Hotels.com, etc., the reservation "defaults" to the "casitas" - code for least desirable rooms in my opinion. If you are traveling with a family, these rooms may suit you, but I would not recommend them for couples.

We were given room 139, a building near the pool and with a view of both the golf course and mountains. The room was spacious but not too large - a sitting area in front of a flat screen TV was very nice, with a love seat, 2 comfortable chairs, and leather ottoman between. The bathroom had both a shower and a tub, natural stone surfaces, a large walk-in closet, a dressing area with bench. If booking rooms in the main hotel, I'd request a room on the second floor - better views, and not room 139 since maintenance uses the golf course access there to the main building. We had golf carts parked in front of our patio quite a lot, as well as having people drive up and park while we were seated on our patio.

After changing rooms, we had a very nice stay. I would come back but only if I was assured that the room I was getting was NOT a "hacienda/casita."

We were given a card to turn in each night for morning coffee/tea delivered to your room at a time you specified in the morning. The grounds are lovely, with flowering plants that enhance the desert landscaping. We ate at Legends the first night on the patio, which was a beautiful setting in the evening - lovely view of the golf course and grounds. The food was good, not great, but the service was quite good. They lit a fire in the fireplace and had only candlelight at each table, which added to the ambience. The other restaurant on the property is Bob's Chop & Steak, but we have one in Dallas, so we ate somewhere else the second night. The property is in a good location for shopping or dining in Tucson.

One other caution, as we had the exact same experience as the guest I mentioned before - an additional charge on our final bill from Legends for about $28. I had my receipt from the dinner we ate, and that was also on the bill. What are the odds? I challenged it and the clerk immediately removed it. Their system for charging to the room is obviously flawed.

Room Tip: Speciify NOT a hacienda/casita unless you are a family.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights on my way back from San Diego. Excellent quality resort. All the spa ammenities were first class. The view from the rooms (to the golf course) were spectacular. Service is great and the room beat all expectations. Having stayed at the Ritz on Dove Mountain, this place is so much more convenient and pleasant. This is a no brainer place to stay if you are in Tucson.

Room Tip: Plug the address into your GPS while on I-10, it will save a lot of confusion.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
OmniTucsonNational, Manager at Omni Tucson National Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We’re so happy to hear that our service is heads and shoulders above the rest and we welcome you back and stay with us again. We hope to be your remarkable hotel of choice for years to come.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here twice, once in May 2011 and once in September 2011, both times my stay was very pleasant. The rooms are very, very large, and they are bungalow-style, so it feels like you have an entire acreage to yourself. Every room has a back patio, and most of them are structured so that you can't see your neighbors and you have a great view of the golf course. It felt like I was at my own home out in the country.

The staff is very friendly and prompt with requests. The gym is large, and has a good number of exercise equipment. The pool area is lovely, with lanterns that light up at night. The restaurant is good, service is a bit slow but if you're traveling on vacation, it probably doesn't make a difference. Wifi is also reliable.

The only complaint I have is that the water pressure isn't very good. That might be expected, since Tucson and the surrounding area is in a desert. Overall though, I had a great stay and would definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
OmniTucsonNational, Manager at Omni Tucson National Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for such a complimentary response. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, as well as the amenities you mentioned in your review. Please accept our apology for the lack of water pressure you experienced. The feedback has been shared with the staff as we are constantly striving to improve our service. We hope to see you again in the future!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We needed a place to stay one-night before our big elopement/honeymoon--and I found a great rate at the Omni. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I'd never previously stayed with Omni, and we were pleasantly surprised. The property is beautiful and the grounds immaculate. The only meal we were able to try was breakfast, and it was delicious. I want to drink their salsa by the gallon! The staff were all so nice, and our room was roomy and private.
Their pool area is beyond beautiful--with tiki torches burning, nearby fire pits, and dramatic pool lighting. They also rent private cabanas--which are reasonably priced (and I highly recommend for top pool comfort!).
We were sad to leave after just a day--but we vowed that we'd stay a little longer next time around.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding! We’re so glad you chose to stay with us. We hope to see you again on your anniversary or any occasion you are celebrating.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a desert gem. It is tranquil, not crowded, the rooms are quiet as the resort is set in a golf course setting near mountains. The spa is also lovely. Food is great with breakfast buffet - full restaurant is available. Try it you will love it and return many times.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
OmniTucsonNational, Manager at Omni Tucson National Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for the kind words about the hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

From the moment I arrived I knew I was in for a great weekend. From the front desk to housekeeping everyone was fantastic. The room was just as described and pictured on the internet. The pool the golf course the restuarants were all better than I anticipated.

Room Tip: You want to be in the newest part of the resort.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We understand you have a choice in accommodations and were delighted to serve you. Please visit us again soon.
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although I didn't get to play golf on this trip, I was very impressed with this property--one of the nicest I have stayed at in recent months--and I travel a lot for business. The hotel sprawls around a pool and golf course in a desert environment with handsome Southwestern architecture and beautiful (not lush) landscaping. I stayed in an enormous king room with sitting area and five-fixture bath--truly luxurious.
Had an excellent dinner at Bob''s Steakhouse on the property. Top quality food and service, though not cheap, for sure. Breakfast buffet in the morning was good, with a wide selection of hot and cold items, but I will say the food at breakfast didn't blow me away.
If I had a few days--and some money--to spare, I could imagine a very pleasant getaway at this top quality golf resort. My only quibble, and it's a small one, is that schlepping my roller bag to the non-attached rooms late at night was kind of an adventure. I expect most people use the valet parking and bellhop for this, which I would recommend. Doing it yourself doesn't work very well.
All in all, an excellent stay at an excellent property!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share such complimentary remarks! It is our priority to exceed our guests' expectations, and we are pleased to hear that we met, and exceeded, yours. We look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Tucson!

Been to Omni Tucson National Resort? Share your experiences!