“Flawless vacation - beautiful place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
deluth
“Flawless vacation - beautiful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is absolutely the best. We just returned from a truly wonderful week-long vacation there and enjoyed every minute of it. I was traveling with my husband and our two sons, ages 14 and 11 -- we all gave it a 10. Great place for families or couples, either way. Everything about the resort is first rate, beginning with the staff -- excellent assistance by Julie in reservations; outgoing and welcoming bellhop named Steve; our gracious and very professional restaurant server, Wil; super-helpful Francisco (concierge); and the cool guy at the pool (I didn't catch his name, but he is awesome!) -- the list goes on. (They hire great people and they obviously enjoy their jobs.) Service was consistently tops at every turn. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, elegant, perfectly appointed, and spotlessly clean. The food is amazing, fresh, absolutely delicious, beautifully presented, and very memorable. We've dined at 5-star spots all over the world, and Ventana's food is shoulder-to-shoulder with all of them. (Our thanks and kudos to Chef Philippe Trosch.) We liked the food so much, we ate 80% of our meals at the resort, and went into Tucson for the few others. Although we didn't dine in the 5-star Ventana Room this time (rated #1 in Tucson and in the top 100 worldwide) we truly enjoyed all our meals at the "Flying V" and the poolside Canyon Cafe. Also golfed (a fabulous course!), played tennis, and enjoyed the gym and spa (also first rate!) Tucson is a spactacularly beautiful area, the people are very low-key and friendly, and there are a number of nice resorts to stay at. But we feel nothing could possibly top Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. We look forward to our next visit, and this time we'll be sure to experience a meal in the beautiful Ventana Room!!

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

I enjoyed my stay. I utilized the spa facilities and workout classes and lap pool which were all great. My only complaint is that my room was very dark. I think a bright Navajo gold paint job would help but I did not spend much time in my room anyway. I enjoyed the resort and the golf and hiking. Also, the staff I came in contact with with very friendly and helpful.

Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

What happened to the great service we had 3 years ago? From our check in at the front dest to the restaurant staff to the concierge it seemed as if everyone had just started a new job and wasn't quite certain what to do. Was definately not worth the cost.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

Spent a romantic weekend here and can't stop raving about it... though a couple things fell far short.

We checked in Friday afternoon, and were greeted by a very professional and courteous staff. Though our room was beautiful, we opted for an upgrade to a large 4th floor suite. The room was plush, well-appointed, and had a magnificent view of the towering canyon wall and (manmade) waterfall. The two-person jacuzzi and shower (one of two baths) became our own personal spa.

Dinner Friday was at the resort's Flying "V" Grill. Even if you don't stay at the resort, the "V" should be at the top of your Tucson dining list. The menu is unique in that all the entrees are "Surf and Turf"... you pick an item from each list... my partner reveled in her lamb and grouper while I had veal and Guaymas shrimp... all to die for. Yet the appetizers stole the show; we tried a tangy, rich shrimp-scallop ceviche (only complaint: much too much food for an appetizer) and one of the best dishes I've ever had anywhere: mussels steamed in a white wine-tomato-saffron sauce, served in a copper steamer dish. The sauce contained poblano chiles and Spanish chorizo sausage, wich married perfectly with the plnmp mussels. I'd go back just for that! Dessert was an orange Creme Brulee with slices of Mandarin orange. Incredible!

As other reviewers have noted, the grounds are beautiful and made accessible by a clever system of walking trails. We walked them each day we were there. My partner also made use of the gym facilities and enjoyed them.

There were two problems. Our Sunday brunch was as close to a disaster as you can get. We were seated, and placed coffee/juice orders with our server. Then we headed for the buffet. She went to the omelette station while I opted for the traditional buffet line. What a disappointment that was... a lacklustre collection of the standard chafing dishes containing
the standard stuff... limp potatoes, bacon/sausage/ham, French toast, icky scambled eggs. I've seen small town Holiday Inns with more inspired selections. After loading my plate up, I returned to our assigned table to find that the hostess had seated someone else there. I found another table and commandeered it. Our drinks never made it until another server took over the case... our original server ungraciously informed us "it would have been quicker but no one told me you got up and moved." We had no choice bub! The buffet line items were all cold. The omelette, however, was skillfully prepared and delicious.

The second problem was a strange one. After breakfast, we went to the room to pack prior to checkout. Suddenly I noticed my cell phone was missing. We combed all 1200 square feet of the suite, every drawer, under furniture, etc, no luck. As we got ready to leave I reported the missing phone to the front desk. They called Security, who said they HAD THE PHONE! Housekeeping had removed it from the suite the night before while we were out. They would not tell us why! They didn't even bother to let us know they had it! Still shaking our heads over that one, and if we get a better answer we'll post it here.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

Contrary to a couple of negative reviews read prior to our trip, the Ventana Canyon resort exceeded all expectations. There was free coffee (a pod for each person)in our room, the staff were always helpful, room service rushed when needed, the parking lot view, although not of the rough wildnerness, was a foothills view of Tucson. The rooms were very clean and the overall premise certainly first class. The restaurants were exceptional, especially the Ventana Room. Great place - perhaps not a bad idea to go with lowered expectations to appreciate how truly great the facility and staff were.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

This was my first time in Tucson and at this resort. I agree with the one reviewer who talked about the dark corridors. It was difficult to see the room number on the door and then to try to slip in the card to open it.
I read other reviews so I knew to ask for a room away from the lounge and smoke. I was on the fourth floor and could constantly hear the A/C unit on the roof. Just by closing the bathroom door helped reduce the sound. I asked for a canyon view and it was nice seeing the huge cactus in front of the balcony.
Once inside, I had a nice hot cup of tea from the coffeemaker and put on the warm terry cloth robe.
The bathtub was huge and I did indulge in a bubble bath while watching the small, flat screen TV on the wall.
The spa massage was very relaxing after a morning spent hiking around the grounds. I loved the steam room...no one else there and LOTS of steam. The staff was calm and helpful.
The Canyon Cafe was understaffed and sometimes it took a long time to get more hot water for my tea, or even my bill. Other than that, the freshly made omelets were delicious and I got some great recipes for salsa from the chef.
The Ventana Room restaurant was wonderful. The staff had set a nice table, just for me, where I had a nice view of the city, with my back to the other diners walking in. That was nice, so I could enjoy my meal and the view without distraction. All the staff answered any questions I had about what I was eating and drinking.
I had the three course meal and was treated to two amuse bouche, one being a small scallop deep fried in a tempura batter sitting on a drizzle of honey.
The endive salad with a port wine reduction drizzled over walnuts was tasty.
The rabbit was disappointing, it was tough to cut, even though it was mosit. I wasn't too excited about the taste...I tasted the onion and vegetable puree that the rabbit rested on, but couldn't really "taste" the meat.
The dessert of passion flower puree in a meringue flower was a delicious finish. THEN, they brought out 5 small pastries (thumb size) and I could only eat 2, so I took the others back to my room for a midnight snack!
Everyone from the bell desk to the concierge was helpful and the housekeeping staff did a good job. I look forward to a return trip.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

I just returned from a 2 day conference at the Loews near Tucson. I thought the hotel was really nice. Beautiful lobby and atrium, in fact the public spaces were all terrific. Although my room was literally the last one at the very end of the corridor away from the elevator, it was really attractive, with lovely decor, spaciousness and a modern bathroom with a very big tub/shower. There was also a patio looking out over the canyon. The conference facilities were first-rate, and I only regret that I did not have time to use the recreational facilities. The golf courses looked great, and the pool area was beautiful. The service was above average. I am a frequest guest at Loews properties, and I thought it was kind of dumb that they didn't give me credit for my stay since I had booked through the conference organizers. I still paid $239 a night, which isn't that big a bargain.
Still, a very enjoyable short stay

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!