“wonderful mountain views, great city lights” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
green valley, az
“wonderful mountain views, great city lights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My daughter and I chose this resort for a staycation in mid August. She checked in on a Friday night between 4-5 pm with no problem. We had upgraded to a 4th flour room that had an amazing view of the city. I arrived the next morning, and my room was ready around 2:00 pm. Despite having called reservations to secure a room near her, I was shown rooms that were too far away, and not satisfactory in other ways.. Finally Trevor gave me the room across from her room. I had already stood in several lines before, so I asked that a bellhop bring the cart and the keys up to my daughter's room I was able to get service at 4:30 pm. The front desk was totally overwhelmed with new arrivals, and it seemed that only one person could check them in.
We tried the lounge for happy hour. The wine and drinks were fine, but the food was expensive and way below par. The crab cakes were completely underdone (white and pasty).
At around 8:30 pm we were enjoying the balcony when we discovered that we had been locked out of our room. There is a caution sign on each door that indicates that the door may lock voluntarily. Fortunately there were people milling about the sidewalk under our room. We screamed for help and were rescued. When checking out, I spoke with a manager who indicated that the problem would be address when the resort underwent a total remodel next May. In the meantime, I strongly suggest that you take your cellphone with you whenever you use the balcony. Two bellhops said that this mishap had happened a number of times.
We really enjoyed the adult pool. It is private and serene. My daughter had a relaxing facial at the spa and would recommend their services. I am allergic and phobic for dogs, but there was enough room at the resort to I could maintain my distance .I think it is very possible to have a nice vacation here, and there are a number of excellent restaurants in the area, such as El Charro and Vivace.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to the 4th floor for an unobstructed view. The city view is spectacular.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! I very much appreciate you taking a few moments to share your comments from your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon. I have shared your valuable feedback with senior management and am truly sorry that we were unable to fully meet your expectations during your visit. I am happy to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your relaxing treatments at the Lakeside Spa and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again in the future.

Derek H McCann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

By far one of the best hotel and dining experiences I have ever had. Staff is attentive and really does care about making your stay pleasurable. At the Spa, I was taken care of by Alyssa who was very knowledgeable and sweet- I recommend you go to her for the Heart Full Body Glaze. So relaxing.....
The Flying V has an entrée-Chicken A La Plancha- juicy tender chicken underneath a crispy skin, which you need to try. You can choose from a variety of sides, I suggest the garlic mashed potatoes and the cumin enhanced cauliflower. Your meal also comes with an amazing cornbread authentically served in mini cast iron dishes (great way to retain the warmth of this yummy treat). The tableside guacamole was prepared to perfection and many thanks to the Chef De Cuisine Brandon Cathey for such a delectable meal (which we had two nights in a row-it was that good).
Sunday brunch was noting less than superb, thanks to Head Chef Ken Harvey and his amazing staff such as Jose and Alex. It allows for all food restrictions while still being downright delicious. My highlights include "cue the angles its so good" pork ribs, melt in your mouth house smoked salmon, and a tres leches crème brulee. That's right Ken and his people take tres leches to the next level with this dessert.
We are sure to return-Thanks Loews Ventana Canyon!

Room Tip: ask for a waterfall view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Wow, thank you so much for your excellent TripAdvisor review! I am delighted to hear that you not only enjoyed your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon but the food created by our talented culinary team as well! I will be sure to share your kind words with Chef Harvey, Chef Cathey and the entire Loews culinary team so they may be recognized for the outstanding service and experience they provided you with. Thank you again very much and I look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon!

Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is a magnificent resort. The room we had was fantastic, and the facilities -- especially the pool / hot tub complex -- was wonderful.

The staff couldn't have been nicer -- and the front desk was helpful even on the smallest issues.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words on TripAdvisor! Thank you again and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to join us again soon!

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I drive through Tucson once a year with my two small mutts--on the way to San Deigo. I always enjoy my stay at Loew's Ventana. Lovely rooms, beautiful grounds to walk and hike around, great prices in summer. Quiet. Gorgeous scenery. Lots of restaurant choices there at the resort. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your TripAdvisor review! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon during your annual trip through Tucson and appreciate you taking a few moments to share your kind words with us on TripAdvisor! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to join us again very soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This place is awesome with a great Sunday brunch! We had a great experience. Good service, great view, Mathew was the best waiter around the pool and Hussein is a great BBQ chef on Sundays! All you can eat BBQ and seafood, mimosas, beer, Bloody Mary! Very comfortable and enjoyable experience!

Stayed August 2014
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for the excellent review. I am so glad to be able to recognize our team members, Mathew and Hussein, for a job well done. I hope you will join us again soon on a Sunday for Blues, Brews and BBQ Brunch!

Christiansted
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are very clean and spacious. The showers in the tub are huge and the tv in the bathroom made you feel like you were staying at one of those houses you see on Cribs. Would stay here again in a heartbeat! Loved it!!!

• Stayed November 2013
I’m thrilled to hear you loved visiting Loews Ventana Canyon! Our oversized bathtubs are a favorite of our guests, and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your room. I hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The hotel room is a bit outdated but the bed was comfy. The buffet for breakfast was okay, some items went cold and I had to ask for fresh items and it was a bit pricey. But at least I got a fresh waffle. Love the omelet station. Reservations were easy and check in fast. My fridge for the room was requested and available for my medicine. My only problem is that a huge behavioral conference took place and parking was horrible. Also, I wanted to extend for another night but was told I could not due to a full capacity of the hotel. I kept inquiring because I knew that rooms would open up eventually due to cancellations. I eventually had to go to another hotel with my 2 month old infant. I found out later online that rooms did open up and were bookable online. Needless to say I was disappointed that I had to leave my family from out of town. This was my first experience with the chain and it was tampered by poor problem solving solutions. They could have at least put me on a wait list or called me when cancellations occurred. Instead I got a simple no unless I was a You First Loews member with guaranteed room which only means that the hotel would boot a non member in order for a member to stay. I paid a higher rate for a standard King while another family paid the government rate for a nice suite. How is this fair? Seems like poor practices to me.

Room Tip: There is a resort fee so be prepared to pay this unless a promotion is available that exempts it. Th...
Green Features: I did not witness any recycle program while there. People use entirely way too many towels at the pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and sincerely apologize that we were unable to fully meet your expectations during your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon. I have messaged you privately to learn a little more about your experience and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon!

Derek McCann

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!