“Just a great place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Free Beverages!
Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Just a great place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here February 20-25. My wife and I have stayed here before and we were not disappointed this time either. First of all, Loews is a very welcoming place and the staff make you feel at home immediately upon your arrival. Staff acknowledge you when you pass them and offer help whenever they see you. It's a beautiful quiet resort with great views and the proximity to the ventana golf courses (Canyon and Mountain) makes it a must stay for anyone wanting to enjoy excellent golf. Additionally we ate breakfast a couple of times (buffet was excellent and reasonable) and dinner in the lounge area has the BEST burgers and margaritas! Also the resort is situated in an area where you can get to other restaurants easily should you want to. Do yourself a favor and give them a try!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Wow, thank you! Your TripAdvisor review from your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon was wonderful! We love hearing from our guests and are so pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay with us! The burger & sliders in the Cascade Lounge are excellent and we continue to receive numerous TripAdvisor comments on how delicious they are! We will be sure to share your kind words with our culinary team and hope you and your wife will visit us again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The positives are many....... great location, staff, restaurants, pool, golf courses, and Sonora desert trail. We travelled with a pet and stayed at the property twice in the last couple of weeks. Very pet friendly, on both occasions a pet goody bag arrived within 5 minutes of settling in our rooms. Both rooms were virtually identical, and well being well appointed and clean they have meet their useful life in terms of styling and are due for an update (granted they were "pet friendly" rooms. Food within the property was a pleasant surprise........ definitely would return!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and for returning to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We are currently in the processing of updating our guestrooms and expect to have all the rooms updated by the end of the year, including our pet rooms! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments from your most recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your pet back again very soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you're a one stop stayer and want to check into the Loews you may enjoy it's location. We are very busy people and were hopping around to different parks and hiking trails each day, as well as restaurants all over town so for us staying there was probably a little less important and for that reason I rate it as fairly expensive. For 4 nights we paid $987.00. Which included a $20.00 resort fee which frankly just wasn't worth it. It provided you with internet, an hours use of tennis each day if coursts were available (frankly I never saw anyone play tennis at all so they were always available). You can self park so it doesn't pay for valet either. Now if you want to hike straight from the back of the hotel there's a fairly good hiking trail. It's a little more intense than some of them. Definitely you need to watch where you foot is being placed and not gaze around too much while walking or you'll trip and fall over the rocks. Pool was nice, didn't eat at restaurants as they were very pricey compared with very nice and neighboring restaurants that were available. Rooms were clean, maids did a good job. Tub is the biggest tub I've ever seen. Two full size people could sit side by side in it. Doesn't have any jets in it though so it's not a whirlpool tub. But if you were on a honeymoon you might enjoy it. Me I just kind of felt sorry for the maids that had to clean it because it probably felt to them like cleaning a small swimming pool. Ha! I will definitely go back to Tucson and if you're lifestyle demands a high end resort you will like this one, however again we're on the go people so most likely will stay somewhere cheaper since we do most things off-site anyway. Grounds were pretty though and their somewhat aided waterfall at the back of the walking path is pretty. Poolside bar had reasonablly priced drinks. It is pet friendly and as a pet owner I I think that's nice and then not. If I was to take my dog I'd think it nice, since I didn't you sometimes wonder if you should look around a bit and make sure you don't find any fleas or urine smells when you check into your room. Which by the way we never did so either pet friendly rooms are kept in another area or they are just that good at keeping things spotless. I do think the pet rooms were probably on the ends of the building which had walkout patios into grassy areas most likely. Didn't golf but if you did there's a pretty gold course with narrow fairways right at the resort. $149.00 daily rate before noon to play and $99.00 rate after 12:00. Visitors can only play one of the two courses however as the other is private country club. Didn't see all that many golfers on it.

Room Tip: We had ground floor desert/mountain view. I liked it because I'm very much into nature. Husban...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review from your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon. We value the feedback we receive from our guests and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us! It sounds like you had a very nice visit to Tucson and were able to experience the beautiful surroundings! Thank you again and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Tucson!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here off and on for many years and each time we return, it's a special experience. We only spent one night as we were attending a golf tournament and were pleasantly surprised when given a room upgrade upon check-in! The lounge and bar area are comfortable and casual and the rooms very nice. It's just a nice place for a get-away that's close to home!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near an elevator or a maid's closet!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful TripAdvisor review and for continuing to choose Loews Ventana Canyon! We absolutely love hearing from our return guests and are overjoyed to be your local getaway destination! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your most recent stay while attending a golf tournament and hope you will be back to visit us again soon!
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

A gem of a property, nestled in the mountains. Service beyond what is needed, but appreciated! Friendly faces from the moment you walk in to the end when you check out. They don't appear to have "no" in their vocabulary. Tried to make reservations at the Flying V, unfortunately that night they had it booked out, but were given a glass of wine at the other restaurant!
Would highly recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Don't really know if there is a bad room... Sign up for the rewards program as they will move y...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We are lucky to have such amazing team members and are pleased to hear they were able to turn a disappointing situation around when the Flying V was recently closed for a buyout! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will come back to stay with us again on your next trip to Tucson!
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

A wonderful experience. The staff is very helpful and friendly, the setting gorgeous. We ate at the Flying V every night-I have food allergies and our waiter Aaron took exceptional care of me and the food was delicious, just fabulous. The chef made special meals for me each night. It was chilly while we were there, and the outdoor pool was too cold to swim in, that's the only downside. Otherwise I would highly recommend this for couples, families, really anybody that wants a true resort experience. We did not use the spa, as we were busy each day at the Gem and Mineral Show. We'll definitely be back next year and I hope Aaron is still there!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, it sounds like Aaron was able to make a great lasting impression on your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We will be sure to share your kind words with him and our entire staff! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments, it sounds like you had a wonderful experience and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Tucson!
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Let me begin by letting you know how much we enjoy staying at Loews Hotels whether it’s Hollywood, Philadelphia, New York, or our favorite property in Tucson. We’ve stayed in Tucson at the Ventana four times and hope we might be back again, but we’re uncertain after our most recent disappointing stay February 7 – 11, 2014.

Why? We’ll we planned a trip to celebrate our 35th anniversary hiking in Tucson. We stay at your resort because of its setting and because of the view we like looking at the Santa Catalina’s and waterfall. When booking I requested this view. I did so last year and was given a room without the view (later the front desk graciously moved us) so this year I wanted to be absolutely certain on this special occasion. Since I wanted everything just right, I called the hotel on 1/29/2014 to be sure they’d have a room with the view I wanted. I was told by the individual with whom I spoke that I would. Because of complications last year, I called again on 2/3/2014 and was again told yes we’d have the requested view.

So, I was disappointed and in fact angry when I arrived at the hotel on 2/7 to be put in a room that didn’t have my requested view, 4269. This was the first strike of many on my recent stay. Your front desk manger Bohdan responded by putting us in a suite—4235—successive nights which was a nice courtesy which I appreciated. (I won’t get into the spots on the rug, stains on the bathroom wallpaper, etc.)

However, when we went to move to the room the following day at 4:30pm after returning from a strenuous hike we were told the room hadn’t been cleaned and made up. That was our second disappointment as the lack of competency continued.

When we got in the room we saw the mountain, but no waterfall. Again, this was a special occasion at a special place and we were happy with the room, but the view we requested and thought we had after speaking with Bohdan was only partially there. Another strike.

The next day when we returned from an eight mile hike at 4pm the room hadn’t been cleaned or made up. Strike three, or four? As nice as all the staff are—and they are truly nice and courteous—the continuing lack of competence floored us at a Loews hotel.

You can probably see why we’re going to think awfully hard before returning once again. Although your setting is terrific for what we do—hike all day and every day—and what we like to see out our window, you know that there are many other options in the vicinity.

You indicate that you “strive to exceed our guest's expectations”, but in our case you didn’t even meet them, and as a small business owner myself I thought it important to let you know. I hope this information will be helpful to you as you review operations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We’re so sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent visit to Loews Ventana Canyon! The experiences you describe are far below the standards we set for our staff and not reflective of the outstanding service for which we are known. We appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us and have messaged you privately to learn more about your experience. We look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!