“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Let me begin by letting you know how much we enjoy staying at Loews Hotels whether it’s Hollywood, Philadelphia, New York, or our favorite property in Tucson. We’ve stayed in Tucson at the Ventana four times and hope we might be back again, but we’re uncertain after our most recent disappointing stay February 7 – 11, 2014.

Why? We’ll we planned a trip to celebrate our 35th anniversary hiking in Tucson. We stay at your resort because of its setting and because of the view we like looking at the Santa Catalina’s and waterfall. When booking I requested this view. I did so last year and was given a room without the view (later the front desk graciously moved us) so this year I wanted to be absolutely certain on this special occasion. Since I wanted everything just right, I called the hotel on 1/29/2014 to be sure they’d have a room with the view I wanted. I was told by the individual with whom I spoke that I would. Because of complications last year, I called again on 2/3/2014 and was again told yes we’d have the requested view.

So, I was disappointed and in fact angry when I arrived at the hotel on 2/7 to be put in a room that didn’t have my requested view, 4269. This was the first strike of many on my recent stay. Your front desk manger Bohdan responded by putting us in a suite—4235—successive nights which was a nice courtesy which I appreciated. (I won’t get into the spots on the rug, stains on the bathroom wallpaper, etc.)

However, when we went to move to the room the following day at 4:30pm after returning from a strenuous hike we were told the room hadn’t been cleaned and made up. That was our second disappointment as the lack of competency continued.

When we got in the room we saw the mountain, but no waterfall. Again, this was a special occasion at a special place and we were happy with the room, but the view we requested and thought we had after speaking with Bohdan was only partially there. Another strike.

The next day when we returned from an eight mile hike at 4pm the room hadn’t been cleaned or made up. Strike three, or four? As nice as all the staff are—and they are truly nice and courteous—the continuing lack of competence floored us at a Loews hotel.

You can probably see why we’re going to think awfully hard before returning once again. Although your setting is terrific for what we do—hike all day and every day—and what we like to see out our window, you know that there are many other options in the vicinity.

You indicate that you “strive to exceed our guest's expectations”, but in our case you didn’t even meet them, and as a small business owner myself I thought it important to let you know. I hope this information will be helpful to you as you review operations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We’re so sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent visit to Loews Ventana Canyon! The experiences you describe are far below the standards we set for our staff and not reflective of the outstanding service for which we are known. We appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us and have messaged you privately to learn more about your experience. We look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I escaped out of cold Boise Idaho for four days in the beginning of January. Overall we had a fantastic time. The weather was warm and southern Arizona was just beautiful. Also overall the hotel was fantastic. Good location, service, rooms, and food. We will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: We asked for a city view and really enjoyed it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review on your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We have been experiencing excellent weather lately and are glad to hear that Tucson was able to be your 'nice winter escape' from Boise! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again soon!
Gonubie, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

What can I say, Loews Ventana Canyon is by far one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at. The Rooms are very nice, clean and very comfortable, The Staff were very professional and the food was excellent. Thank you so much for an awesome experience and I look forward to returning one day with my whole family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Wow, thank you so much for your wonderful TripAdvisor review! It truly makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will be back to visit us again very soon!
Centerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Beautiful resort, great pool and lovely rooms. A great getaway from the harsh New England winters, the hotel is in a great location with views of the mountains, it brings the outdoors inside. And they have their own Starbucks at the hotel, so convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review and for choosing to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We hope you enjoyed your time in Tucson escaping the New England winter weather! Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will be back to visit us on your next trip to sunny Tucson!
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

There is something very special about Loews Ventana Canyon. It is one of my favorite places to stay not just in Tucson, but one of my very favorite places in the country to stay. This is our 5th visit there. We feel very pampered but in a relaxed way. The service is excellent, and I have to agree with JTL58, the staff comes across very natural and relaxed. The food is especially good. My favorite is the Sunday Blues, Brews and BBQ Brunch, but honestly every meal that I have eaten there was very good. The rooms are nice, clean and quiet and the beds are very comfortable. We will be back!

Room Tip: all the rooms that I have stayed in were nice, comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! We love hearing from our guests and hope to continue to be your favorite place to stay in Tucson! Our culinary staff is incredible and they will all be so pleased to hear your kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope you will be back again very soon to Loews Ventana Canyon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I tend to avoid larger scale resort hotels as being a bit impersonal and when on business don't have much need for the leisure time aspects, but I was impressed. Stayed three nights, food good, rooms large and comfortable. Staff very good indeed - they came over as natural and relaxed. Really, couldn't fault the place as somewhere to relax. Grounds and surroundings impressive and well maintained. I have stayed in places 10x the price that could learn a thing ot two from the team here. Only minor grumble was during a busy check in period they could only muster two staff to deal with a long queue.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
THANK YOU! What a wonderful TripAdvisor review! We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us from your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon! It sounds like you had a great stay and we hope you will be back to stay with us again the next time you are in Tucson!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

1st time ever staying in this property. The rooms were great with a great view of the mountains. I enjoyed the pool and the food at Bill's. The breakfast buffet had a great selection. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon as well as the great views and food on property! We hope you will be back to visit us again the next time you are in Tucson!