“Amazing!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Centerville, Massachusetts
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Beautiful resort, great pool and lovely rooms. A great getaway from the harsh New England winters, the hotel is in a great location with views of the mountains, it brings the outdoors inside. And they have their own Starbucks at the hotel, so convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review and for choosing to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! We hope you enjoyed your time in Tucson escaping the New England winter weather! Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will be back to visit us on your next trip to sunny Tucson!

1,214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

There is something very special about Loews Ventana Canyon. It is one of my favorite places to stay not just in Tucson, but one of my very favorite places in the country to stay. This is our 5th visit there. We feel very pampered but in a relaxed way. The service is excellent, and I have to agree with JTL58, the staff comes across very natural and relaxed. The food is especially good. My favorite is the Sunday Blues, Brews and BBQ Brunch, but honestly every meal that I have eaten there was very good. The rooms are nice, clean and quiet and the beds are very comfortable. We will be back!

Room Tip: all the rooms that I have stayed in were nice, comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! We love hearing from our guests and hope to continue to be your favorite place to stay in Tucson! Our culinary staff is incredible and they will all be so pleased to hear your kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and we hope you will be back again very soon to Loews Ventana Canyon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I tend to avoid larger scale resort hotels as being a bit impersonal and when on business don't have much need for the leisure time aspects, but I was impressed. Stayed three nights, food good, rooms large and comfortable. Staff very good indeed - they came over as natural and relaxed. Really, couldn't fault the place as somewhere to relax. Grounds and surroundings impressive and well maintained. I have stayed in places 10x the price that could learn a thing ot two from the team here. Only minor grumble was during a busy check in period they could only muster two staff to deal with a long queue.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
THANK YOU! What a wonderful TripAdvisor review! We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us from your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon! It sounds like you had a great stay and we hope you will be back to stay with us again the next time you are in Tucson!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

1st time ever staying in this property. The rooms were great with a great view of the mountains. I enjoyed the pool and the food at Bill's. The breakfast buffet had a great selection. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon as well as the great views and food on property! We hope you will be back to visit us again the next time you are in Tucson!
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I recently experienced my 2nd stay at the Loews Ventana Canyon. It had been 13 years since my last stay and like fine wine; the property has aged extremely well. The hotel facilities are updated and very comfortable. The room (I stayed on the 2nd floor) was very nice, private and had a beautiful view of the mountains. The property grounds are rich with mature desert fauna and a setting that provided a tranquil respite. I enjoyed a remarkable hike to the mountain top (take H2O) for some spectacular views from a trailhead that begins at the hotel. Afterwards, the pool and hot tube was equally appreciated.
Most importantly the staff completely exceeded my expectations. Here’s how:
One of the reasons I stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon was to host a potential client for dinner. After checking into the hotel and dropping my bags in my room, I headed to the main restaurant, The Flying V Bar & Grill to make a reservation for the following night. Unfortunately, the restaurant was completely booked by a conference that was staying at the hotel. Admittedly, I was a little bothered that the hotel didn’t reserve some seating for their hotel guests.
Later that evening I found myself at the main lobby bar and asked the bartender (I apologize for not remembering her name) if there were any other options in the hotel for a nice dinner. The hotel does offer a more casual menu, but that didn’t meet my requirements. The bartender called over the Canyon Café Manager, Paul Reilly and I explained my dilemma. Paul immediately and enthusiastically jumped in to offer a plan that included a special table in the main lobby bar area front and center. He retrieved Chef Eric Catalano who came out from the kitchen and discussed a menu. Eric suggested a custom menu that would appeal to each person in our party. His attitude was that “whatever you want, you’ll get”. So working with Paul and Eric we developed a reasonably priced, fantastic 4 course menu with wine pairing.
The next evening they absolutely delivered. Eric was waiting on us with a reserved table decoratively set and beautifully positioned to take advantage of the evening sun fading away against the Catalina Mountains.
Sous Chef Tyler Lapotosky came out to great us, previewing each course. The food was fantastic, the meeting was extremely productive and I’m extremely grateful for everyone efforts.
I typically stay at nice hotels and frequent fine dining restaurants. My expectations are high and not very often exceeded.

Loews Ventana Canyon offers fabulous amenities, wonderful landscaping and unparalleled views. In my experience, their biggest asset is the employee’s attitude and commitment to ensure their guests have an extraordinary experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WOW! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience with us at Loews Ventana Canyon!! We are so pleased to hear that our staff went above & beyond to make such a memorable experience for you and your clients! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and we will definitely be sharing your kind words with Paul, Chef Eric , Sous Chef Tyler and our senior management! Thank you again so much for your incredible review and for choosing Loews Ventana Canyon! We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Loews resort in Tucson, AZ. We loved it the food was great, the service was amazing!!! We had a great time!!! I plan events and I would recommend this resort if y our looking for great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much! We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and others on TripAdvisor! We are so pleased to hear you and your daughter had such a wonderful time and we hope to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon the next time you are in Tucson!!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Quite frankly, our experience at this hotel was rather disappointing. We booked the hotel through expedia after reading multiple positive reviews. The hotel is located at the northern side of the city, about 1/2 hr from downtown. It is a bit far, but overall the views are amazing and the area nearby is great.

The guestrooms are ok, but the finishes are nothing special. We booked at a deluxe double room from 2/11 to 2/17/14 (room 4194); the beds are small but comfortable. However, the walls are poorly insulated and you can hear your next door neighbors as if they were right next to you; kids playing, a baby crying, tv, and doors being slammed constantly, not to mention the annoying noise of the unbalanced AC... Not pleasant at all, and should not happen in a hotel of this category. (If I could upload a recording here of how noisy it was, I would).

As far as housekeeping, I would rate it 3/10 stars. We found a cockroach in the bathroom, coffee stained sheets from the previous day were turned over instead of being changed, dirty bathroom carpet was not changed in 5 days, the duvets covers on both beds are over-sized (king & queen) for a full-sized duvets, and they do not empty all the trash bins daily. Not to mention that they can barely make the beds (with duvet covers!!!).. (See photos). Most of the reviews I read had a very positive experience, so it seems there is a lack of management to ensure all the rooms receive the same level of service, particularly those in the west wing.
Perhaps I should have complained sooner, however both my sister and mom did not want to pack all the stuff again. Regardless, none of these issues should occur at a four star hotel such as this.

We only had breakfast at the hotel buffet once, and unfortunately the food did not meet our expectations either.. For $20 pp, you hope the buffet would be good, however there was a poor array of options and the fruits were not fresh. On the other hand, the service at breakfast was good.

If I were you, I would choose another hotel as there are quite a few alternatives. I did complain about the poor housekeeping and received a $30 credit...

As far as restaurants around Tucson, we went to great places and all the food and service was outstanding throughout. We went to HUB, Maynard's Market (excellent coffee), The Grill at Hacienda del Sol, Acacia, Agustin Kitchen, Pablo Tacos & Tequila, and Tamale Company. I would go back to all these next time I am Tucson.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the west wing. Extremely poor sound insulation and apparently housekeeping is not sup...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my deepest apology for the unpleasant experience you recently experienced at Loews Ventana Canyon. I regret that you were left with a negative impression and please know that regaining your trust and faith in our hotel is very important to us. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and would appreciate the chance to discuss your experience further. I have messaged you privately to learn more about your stay and look forward to hearing from you so that we may better improve our service in the future.

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!