“Labor Day staycation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nogales, Arizona
“Labor Day staycation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As part-time travel agents, we've been noting the trend toward 'staycations" or vacations within a few hours from home (We live about 1.5 hours away). Given the complications of air travel these days, busy folks like us are often preferring this option of frequent vs. longer, far-away vacations. Loews "gets" this, and we have experienced few other resorts who do it so well (And we DO look for them!)

In contrast to many upper end resorts which are ghost towns during Holiday weekends, this place was buzzing. They have all kinds of activities for kids, but being "active seniors" we preferred the hiking trails (the Ventana Canyon trail just a few feet from their parking lot is awesome), innovative food (love those fried avocado appetizers!) and wonderful waterfall walkway (plus new turtle and butterfly sanctuary!) Special bonus was the Saturday night fireworks show!

Special kudos to Jeff , Bellman, so accommodating; all front desk staff for their always friendly and excellent service, and the lovely servers in the Lobby Bar, always so gracious and elegant.

In any industry where there is so much mediocrity in the name of hospitality, this beautiful Resort stands above the rest. We will continue to take our monthly 1-2-day, refreshing staycations right there.

Love you, Loews!

Room Tip: We prefer the East side
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I give Loews a solid 3.5

I absolutely loved my stay here. The location was breathtaking and so serene. My favorite part of the resort was the trails around the grounds that lead to the waterfall and city look outs. My boyfriend and I arrived at the resort after sundown and had an incredible time strolling down the illuminated pathways; very romantic to say the least. Even with a busy resort, we seldom ran into other guests, which made for a very secluded atmosphere (almost like the resort was all ours).

The rooms left much to be desired. For the rates we paid, the rooms sure could use a solid renovation. The room was spacious enough, but the furniture was really outdated. There was a nice flat screen in the room with a solid list of channels available. The bathroom was the best part of the room; the shower, my god, the shower!! As other reviewers have mentioned, the tub in the shower is huge, 2 1/2 times larger than any normal bathtub. I don't really like bathes, but I had to turn this one into a ginormous bubble bath! There is a tv in the bathroom as well, I suppose if you get bored:) I did think it was rather odd that there was only one glass door that only covered half of the shower; that didn't seem incredibly practical to me. My boyfriend requested a room with a view of the city, but we were given a garden view, bummer, but not a huge deal.

I feel like everything at the resort was overpriced, and I'm not cheap by any means. Every cocktail was $10 or more. We went to dinner the last night to watch the U of A football game (since it was not available in our room) and 3 drinks and 2 entrees cost us $85! Talk about overpricing! I wasn't a huge fan of the pool bar charging an automatic 21% gratuity either; not to mention I'm not used to automatic gratuity so I keep over tipping like an idiot. Parking is an extra $9 a night ([--] if you ask me), and don't even think about free internet. I just feel like it's a little sneaky to tack on extra fees that are not advertised.

The one affordable part of the resort was the golf, surprisingly enough. The golf course was AMAZING, 5 stars! We had the best time and it was beautifully manicured and taken care of.

The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. The live music on saturday night in the lounge was so fun that everyone was out of their seats and on the dance floor.

Loew's was an incredible experience and I'm happy we came, but for the price I feel like there are better options out there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were driving from Dallas to Los Angeles and this hotel was our stopover place. From the time they opened our car door to the time we left in the morning the staff at this hotel were more than helpful. The room we were assigned was clean, and had its own private balcony where we could look at over the foliage and the hills. So calming especially after the long drive we had just done.

As we were exhausted from the drive we ordered from room service which was very reasonably priced and the food was excellent. The beds were so comfortable and it didn't take long to settle into sleep and no noise disturbances through the night

The service and amenities at this hotel were so good I plan on going back for a longer stay to take advantage of more of what they offer and know that my needs will be met by the staff and the rooms are great.

The hotel is a bit off the highway but well worth the drive around 20minutes.

Room Tip: I booked the room online directly through the hotel site and when I selected my room and was ready t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We are so glad that you chose Loews Ventana Canyon as your stop over. Please do come back when you have more time to truely experience the resort.
Mark Lindsey
Storrs, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

disappointed in accommodations in too large hotel. Must ask for central location within sight of lobby, or the trek around the several wings lugging baggage is daunting. Outside entrances prey to flying and crawling insects. When we made our displeasure known, we were given a much better room. Super dining room staff!

Room Tip: Make sure the room is easily accessible from lobby elevator
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

For local fun in Tucson during our hot August days, I highly recommend this exceptional cooking class. Both my husband and I took the class which consisted of first collecting the prickly pear fruit (tunas) from the resort property and then learning how to make a salad, syrup, sorbet, BBQ sauce and really good margaritas, all with the freshly processed juice. Chef made sure we ate very well. The grilled chicken with the prickly pear BBQ sauce was the best we have had in Tucson. Very attentive wait staff and sous chefs. We also had the pleasure of meeting three members of the Tohono O'odham Nation's Community Action organization who explained the traditional techniques they use for the processing of the prickly pear tunas. We will definitely do this again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What can we say but Wonderful! Ok, Spectacular will also fit! Checking in and out were easy. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are comfortable,like being at home. Staff was superior and always ready and eager to serve. The weekend was fun with great food, pool fun, and fire works to celebrate the holiday! We were there in June, and back in August. We look forward to future stays at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. We overheard some other guests who had been staying at one of the "other" Tucson resorts, commenting on their need to leave the other place because of dissatisfaction. They said they will never return anywhere in Tucson other than Loews. We agree!

Room Tip: The best hotel views are on the inside of the hotel by the mountains, but if you want a spectacular...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have experienced the best employee service and help at this hotel that I have ever experienced in my travels. From the doorman to the security officer Mr. Pat Mininy the attitudes were first class, helpful and positive.

Room Tip: Get close to the elevators. It is along walk.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!