“A nice facility with a beautiful view” 3 of 5 stars

Rates as low as $89!
Ranked #5 of 127 hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lincoln, Nebraska
“A nice facility with a beautiful view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort because my husband's business conference was there. The day we checked in, they told us that they did not have a room with a king bed even though we had requested one. So we had a room with two beds. They said they would have one available for the next evening if we would be interested in moving. We went out for dinner and came back to the room to a strong sewer smell. Luckily, the weather was nice so we had the doors open to remove the smell. The next morning, my husband called to report the smell. Maintenance checked it out and could not find anything. They offered us another room with the king bed so we took it.

If you like outdoor activities, there is a waterfall, a trail for walking and the resort is located near Sabino Canyon.

It's a drive from the city so if you want to do sight seeing, you should rent a car. They even have a Hertz office on-site.

There is an observation deck where you can look out over the city at night. We sat up there for a little while. The weather was great and it was beautiful. There are also benches around the water feature in front of the hotel. I sat out there one afternoon reading and watching the golfers.

The food at the first dinner was disappointing. The steak was overcooked and dry, I noticed quite a few people did not eat the meat. We decided to patronize local restaurants during our stay. The second meal that was provided to conference attendees was good but not anything spectacular.

Unfortunately, we did not take our laptop. The business center charges for use of the computers. However, you can print out boarding passes for no charge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MarketingSlsGuy, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon and for your comments on Tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed the views and the Windowwalk Nature Trail. I am also sorry to hear about the room issues and the banquet food quality, you mentioned in your review. We are reviewing your comments with senior management and I am hopeful that you will come back again in the future.

1,203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent three nights here and enjoyed every moment. Beautiful resort tucked into the mountains. The pools, hot tubs and walking paths are all well maintained. Our room was clean, peaceful and comfortable. We observed beautiful sunsets each evening from our balcony.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We very much appreciate your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon. Thank you also for your Lovely review on Tripadvisor. You have a nice way with words and I appreciate the way you describe our pools, nature trail and the sunset views. Please come back again in the near future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I haven't been on a vacation in years...As I live in Tucson, I looked at several options for a local "break" from my house. I researched online like mad, and saw several reviews that gave great advice about rooms, location, and amenities. It paid off. I made my reservation online, (during a daylight savings sale, a $400 rack rate room was $119 per night, for the next day check-in, for a two night stay). I joined the Loews YouFirst club, and packed my bag and dog. At check-in, I advised the receptionist that I had read some bad reviews about older furnishings and parking lot views. He mentioned that he would put me in an area of the hotel where dogs were accommodated. First, I thought, great, crummy dog rooms...NOT SO!!! I had a King room in the West Wing, with a desert view! This is a VERY dog friendly resort, but I saw very few dogs. After check-in, I was surprised to see my room had already been accommodated for my canine friend. Treats, water and food bowls, bags for picking up, and a little Loew's dog tag too. They charge a $25- Pet fee Per Stay. The room was impeccably clean, nice white linens, desk, HUGE bathtub, and a fabulous balcony that overlooked the desert mountain terrain and flora, and very quiet. Exactly what I wanted! (That bathtub was divine.) I was midway down the hall where the exit to the right went into the Loews on-site desert trails, to the left an outdoor "hallway" with rooms that come out to a vast green grass lawn for dogs to run and roll around in luxury, overlooking that parking lot I was concerned about. The resort is beautifully landscaped and has quiet lighting at night. There's a "faux" stream and waterfall that is at the end of the trail, a lookout vantage point to see the lights and mountains of Tucson too. The trails are not for avid hikers, but actually gave me a good workout as they meander up and down the mountain behind the resort, with stairs here and there, and sitting spots. For non-desert people, there are signs with flora and fauna identification, that were tastefully incorporated into the land. It was very pleasant, and my Jack Russell loved the walks too! When I first went to the Loew's website and saw the architecture, it reminded me of Paul Rudolph's work that can be harsh. Not so. The resort blended well into the desert, and the rooms, restaurants and public areas were tasteful and refined, with just a touch of "southwest" influence. The "public" pool area was a bit cramped, but I found a nice spot by the jacuzzi that drowned out any noisy kids. Water, food service and towels were plentiful. I had "dinner" at the Cascade lounge during Happy Hour, and the food and service were excellent. Breakfast at the cafe was pricey for a muffin and coffee, and the waiter was not the greatest. He passed me by to offer a coffee refill, and neglected to offer butter or jam. He was a bit rude. However, the waitress who served an out-of-town couple sitting next to me, was extraordinarily friendly. I never made it into the Flying V, but it is a favorite of locals, and I will be back. One tip: I brought a flashlight that was very handy for the trails, and nightly dog walks. Overall I highly recommend Loews to anyone coming to Tucson or for locals who just want a quick getaway!

Room Tip: West-wing mountain-desert view!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We are so glad that you chose Loews Ventana Canyon for Tucson vacation! Thank you also for writing such an informative review on Tripadvisor - you covered so much about the resort. Come back in Summer when we are still a great value. One tip: Avid hikers will find the Ventana Trail head in our West parking lot which leads to a beautiful wilderness trail.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I attended a party at Ventana on March 9th in the wonderful Ventana room. Wow! There was a cocktail hour in a room right around the corner to start the evening and from start to finish the entire affair was simply brilliant. No detail was too unimportant to be attended to, and the view from the room was magnificent. Brian Johnson and his staff were incredible, from the valet and concierge, to each and every waitstaff there. A remarkable evening all around!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MarketingSlsGuy, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for attending an event at Loews Ventana Canyon in March and for your kind remarks on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate your being our guest and thank you again for your review. Come back soon.
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This property is over 25 years old yet it is very well maintained and not at all shabby or dated. The staff are very friendly, the setting is beautiful and relaxing, the pool is nice and the restaurants are very good. The rooms were large and well appointed. The only downside was we had a room with a parking lot view, but we didn't spend many daytime hours there so it wasn't a big deal. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: ask for pool or mountain view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon and thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor. Your recommendation about requesting mountain or city view rooms can truly enhance the experience of staying at Ventana Canyon - good tip! Please come and see us again soon.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I always go to Ventana Canyon for any special celebration. The resort is beautiful the staff is friendly and helpful. They always help make every celebration a little more special! We had a lovely dinner at the Flying J, food and service was excellent. We would never consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon and congratulations on your celebration! Being your favorite Tucson Resort is music to our ears and we hope you come back often. Thank you also for the kind words.
Warmly,
Mark Lindsey
Director of Sales and Marketing
Rosendale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was in Tucson for business recently and I got a great deal on this hotel through a third party booking company. It is a lovely place with beautiful grounds. It is situated in a quiet, high end residential area in the foothills,about 20-25 or so minutes NE from downtown. I hiked every day--you can access the longer hiking trail through the parking lot. Ask anyone at the front desk-they are helpful and friendly. While the rooms were very clean and spacious,I thought they were a bit dated and average. I had a really deep, nice tub in my bathroom which was so nice. I used the spa services and they were very good. The pool area is lovely and the view on either side is gorgeous. My room was so quiet, and they are had room darkening shades so I slept very well. If I were to go again, I would probably ask for a room near the waterfall in the back. I highly recommend a car if you stay here-it would be pricey to use a car service often unless you just plan to stay at the resort for relaxing,and not explore the area. I did not each dinner here, so I'm not sure what the dinner food is like. I had breakfast once and a snack by the pool,both of which were good. Breakfast was a bit pricey, but they usually are at resorts. They serve Starbucks coffee and have a counter where you can get lattes all day....I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in this part of Tucson

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!