“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Loews is one of my favorite hotel chains. I've been to the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort once before and found it to be comfortable and nicely appointed. This visit, however, was a disappointment because I had some special dietary needs. I called the dining department at the hotel ahead of time to let them know I was a vegetarian and to ask if they had any vegetarian entrees available on their room service menu. (I prefer to avoid dairy but will eat them if nothing else is available). I received a call from an employee who assured me that the hotel had many excellent dinner choices for vegans and vegetarians. I let her know I was traveling with a pet and needed to be able to eat in my room. She went so far as to state that many other hotels in the area will not go out of their way to accommodate guests with dietary needs but Loews will. She re-emphasized that there would be lots of choices for room service.

Reassured, I stayed at the resort when I visited Tucson and found out immediately the first night that this was not the case. For dinner, there was only one entree item on the menu, an avocado taco. I called the dining dept and asked for the person who had called me a day before I arrived. She was off work so I and asked about entrees. This person gave me a list of additional items I could order, which were from their bar menu. They were all appetizers or salads and included a flatbread pizza, bruschetta appetizer, fried artichoke heart appetizer, and some other small plate appetizer items. I figured I would work out the entree thing the next day and for now just order what was available so I called room service. As I went down the list was told, "no", "no", "sorry, that's not available right now", "no, sorry we can't serve that now". I responded by telling this person that I had called in advance and was assured that the hotel had different options for dietary needs. They left for a moment and came back and said they would make the bruschetta for me but not anything else off the menu. I ordered a salad, the bruschetta, and the avocado taco. The 2 tacos were a quarter slice of avocado laid ontop of a small cold uncooked corn tortilla sprinkled with sesame seeds and salsa. It might have been a refreshing appetizer in the dead of summer, but was not satisfying as a dinner entree. I chocked it up and figured I would call dining the next day.

I returned from work at around 4 pm to find the same problem. The contact person was not there, and there were no restaurants open. Even though I had requested specifically that I needed to be able to eat in my room, at 4:30 I went to the front of the hotel whereupon a bellman told me I could eat at their fine dining restaurant, the Flying V, located on the other side of the parking area. I walked to the restaurant (in the freezing cold) to find it closed with no one in sight. When I returned to the hotel, the staff apologized and said they were wrong and that the restaurant wouldn't open for another hour.

I then went to the Lobby lounge to try to get some of the appetizers that they served instead. I sat for 30 minutes (the bar was about 25% full) and never had anyone approach me to take my drink or food order, so I returned to the room. I tried to call dining again and got another recording, left a message that I was checking out, and packed. In the hour before I left I never got a return call. It was past time to check out and I knew I would be charged for the second night (approx. 350.00 each night) but felt I couldn't stay, not just because of the dining problems, but the feeling that I had been duped into believing that the hotel offered a service that it didn't.

I've been a travel agent for more than 20 years. The thing that differentiates a luxury hotel from other hotels is not just the size of their bathrooms and the thread count of their sheets, but how they handle the non-routine needs of their clientele. It is one thing to fall short when a customer makes a particularly difficult special request. It happens. It is another altogether to have that customer call in advance and be assured that the services are available and then to have all of the staff respond by saying they are unaware that the services exist. For that reason, despite the beautiful grounds and the well appointed rooms, I give this resort a 3/5.

Room Tip: If traveling with a pet, ask for a room on the grassy knoll area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for your feedback. I am very sorry that you had difficulty in trying to get vegan and vegetarian items. As the associate you spoke with on the phone informed you, we should be able to provide you with entree choices that fit your specific requirements. I am sharing your experience with senior management. Again, I am sorry for your experience and I do hope that you will give us another try in the future.

1,079 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Room: Full city view California king.
Positive- Awesome view, amazing zuma bathtub, comfy bed.
Negative- Way too much furniture makes the room cluttered and a small walk way. Needs better installation.

Spa: deep tissue message and steam room
Positive- steam room was wonderful good showers good complimentary tea and lemon water.
Negative- felt like I was being milked for money with too slow of a massage that didn't target the areas I said I needed the most. Dirty and needs new air filters can see heavy dirt clumps in the intake filters.

Staff:
The staff here need to be briefed on how to handle guests appropriately. Like instead of pointing to a direction they show the way with palm. Also, I had two staff be a little perverted.

Room Tip: Full view rooms only!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon and for your review on Tripadvisor. We have shared your comments with senior management, and very much appreciate your taking the time to write. We value your specific comments about service (giving directions) and the Spa; very helpful feedback. Please come back and see us again soon.
Indy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a great location. Beautiful. I do not get to enjoy AZ every day. Public trail head on west side of hotel property - 45 min hike into canyon was breath taking. Only disappointment was the Flying V resturaunt. I would defenitely go back to this property. Take your golf clubs!

• Stayed January 2013
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a luxury room with mountain views including a waterfall. The room was very well appointed and comfortable. The bed was very comfy and the linens were soft and cozy. The service was great in the lobby lounge. We recommend this resort to anyone. They even have a star gazing program a couple of nights a week.

Room Tip: You can select city lights or mountain view if you have a luxury room.
phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We took advantage of the TravelZoo New Year's deal which was 70% off the regular price. We then upgraded to a "grand" room with city view which was beautiful especially at sunset and with sparkling lights at night. Staff was excellent, friendly and helpful. Wi-Fi in the room was an additional $10/day which is really annoying for an otherwise top class resort. New Year's eve buffet was very ordinary but we didn't expect much since it was added late because the main restaurant had sold out a couple weeks before. Appetizers and drinks in lounge bar the next day were fine. Property is beautifully maintained and room was roomy and nicely decorated.

Room Tip: City view, 3rd or 4th floor over lobby.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and for your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon. Your comments have been reviewed by senior management, and we thank you for the feedback. Hope you will give us another try in the near future.
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We love coming to Loews as a couples getaway. The setting at the base of the mountain is amazing and we woke up to a beautiful pink sunrise peeking over the mountains. The staff is very helpful and go out of their way to call you by name and be friendly and engaging. Even though we had a discount rate, they still upgraded our room and we were treated first-class. We love the pool area, short hike on property and also took advantage of the 5 mile waterfall hike up the adjacent canyon. They had a great reverse happy hour on Saturday night with yummy wine for only $5/glass and a live band. Loews was our honeymoon stay and we love getting back whenever we need a break from family life!

Room Tip: I prefer the beautiful mountain view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We 'always love' repeat guests and we very much appreciate you posting such nice comments on Tripadvisor. We stive to provide the kind of customer service you describe, so well. Glad you found time to hike as well. Please come back and see us soon.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here one night on business. After an initial problem finding the room, I had a great experience. The room has all of the expected amenities for a resort, including a TV in the bathroom and a paper of your choice delivered. Sofa and chair. Private deck looking out on the desert. The staff was friendly and professional. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We are delighted you recently stayed at Loews Ventana Canyon on business. Thank you for your business and for giving us a "recommend" on Tripadvisor; we appreciate both. Please come back and see us on your next visit to Tucson.
Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!