“Relaxation in the desert” 5 of 5 stars

Free Beverages!
Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Le Sueur, Minnesota
“Relaxation in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Got a great deal online so we decided to visit the warmth of Arizona over Thanksgiving 2012. The Resort was beautiful although a bit out of the way for us; Tucson is going so fast and becoming so large and spread out which makes for a long drive into the heart of Tucson for shopping or restaurants. But if you are looking for a hidden gem to relax and get away from it all then this is the place. All of their staff were courteous and helped with any problem or question we had. The facilities offer plenty to do, swimming, golf, hiking, tennis and more to keep you active for a few days or you can just spend time in the spa and relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My family had a reunion here, Thanksgiving 2012. Some of us had not seen each other for years. This resort provided multiple spots where we could congregate in a secluded atmosphere. The pool is outstanding and relaxing just to sit near. The seating area outside had small fire pits where we could sit and talk by a fire. The staff of Loews Ventana were nothing but helpful and kind. Our rooms were congregated on the same floor and they provided us refrigerators at our request.
We used the Spa and the gym and both were just perfect. The gym had all the weights, machines and cardio with a great view of the mountains, desert and saguaros. I had a facial that was one of the best I have had. The property is beautiful and the short walk to the waterfall is a nice surprise. The whole experience was lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have the best view. Upper floors are more expensive, but more luxurious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a great spot hidden away in NE Tucson. Great staff and service. Nice golf course.

Some of the facilities are getting a bit dated, but I can overlook that.

If you want to get a way from it all, this is the spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occassions and I'm never disappointed!
To begin, the staff is always so courteous and helpful. I have never had poor service from any of the housekeeping, food servers, front desk staff or concierge. All of the staff is very pleasant.
They have beautiful hiking trails and a very nice pool, which is always clean and refreshing! The golf course is spectacular, as well.
Many choices of food, which is a bit pricey, but very good!
The rooms we have stayed in have been slightly on the small side, but are very well decorated and extremely clean and comfortable.
A wonderful place, in a wonderful city!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When we checked in we asked for a room on the first floor with near a grass area. we had a dog with us. The front desk person, put us in a room over looking the outside dining area. Not exactly the view that I was paying 162.00 a night to enjoy. It wasn't close to the grass.The hotel was not close to full. So I went back and ask for a room that I knew was on the first floor with grass outside the door. The same person told me that room was on the fourth floor. It was apparent she was not familiar with the property. Our last night we were woken out of sound sleep at 4:00am by one of the employees rolling one of the carts past our door and then listen to it bang down 4 sets of steps. The food was excellent and the rest of the our service interactions were great. When I pay to stay at a resort, I expect great service,

Elgin, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, our two pets and I stayed here after an amazing Thanksgiving Buffet (our second year for the buffet) and were hoping that the accomodations were equally as amazing. Sadly, we left the next morning feeling very disappointed (and stiff) after an uncomfortable night on a hard and sagging king sized bed which was badly in need of replacing. The comforter duvet was faded and worn, with a hole in it and the love seat was in need of a GOOD steam cleaning. I thought it was possibly for pets only! The bathroom was fairly spacious with an oversized tub but only one sliding glass door that allows water to spray onto the floor outside the tub. Our toilet tank kept running and needed repair (and a good cleaning!).
There were no rules posted as far as leaving pets alone in the room, so we made them comfy with their own dog beds, toys and treats, and put the Westminster dog competition on for their viewing (-: As it was unseasonably warm that day, we set the A/C on and left the room to enjoy our buffet with his elderly parents. My husband went back to the room to check on our pets after an hour and was horrified to walk in to a stifling heated room reaching over 80 degrees. The cooling system did not function properly and was blowing HOT air! We checked with the front desk to find out if the whole hotel was turned over to only heat for the winter and neither of the clerks knew nor bothered to find out.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, the vistas gorgeous but the hotel management is not on top of the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms. I asked the manager if maybe our room was designated as pet friendly so therefore did not have the top of the line bedding and furnishings but he said any room could be designated as pet friendly depending on where a guest wishes to stay. That was not the case when I made our reservations. We were not given a choice as to what location in the hotel we wished to stay.
We have stayed in many luxury and fine hotels in Tucson but we would never stay at the Ventana again unless they update their bedding and furnishings AND conduct front desk and management customer service training. After voicing my concerns to the manager, he simply said that my complaints needed to be addressed by the room division manager.....But doesn't the HOTEL MANAGER oversee all???
I am so glad we had a military rate because had we payed full price, I would have been on the horn to the corporate office ASAP!
I am a native Tucsonan and have always wanted to stay at this property but what a terrible disappointment!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has new furnishings, bed and linens! Don't get a room near the kitchen compr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your stay and for your comments. We have shared your feedback with senior management and we do hope you will consider Loews Ventana Canyon again in the future.
Mark Lindsey
Director of Sales and Marketing
Winneconne, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here as part of my husband's company's annual meeting and we had a very nice stay. Tucked into the side of the mountains on the north edge of Tucson, it offered access to walking, hiking and wildlife watching. The resort is part of the Ventana Canyon. In another area of the resort, the ParCourse is great for getting in the day's exercise. I also took part in one of the workout classes (core, and did we get worked!!) Two friends and I were treated to Jeanine's expertise as head groundskeeper during her very informative tour from a plant and landscaping perspective (I'm a plant person). We also had a wonderful night star-watching session with a local astronomer. Our room was spacious and contrary to another reviewer, fluffy terry robes were provided, as well as shampoo, conditioner, bath/shower gel. This hotel participates in an environmental program, and states in their welcoming guide that bed linens are freshened but not changed everyday, unless requested, as part of resource saving. Think about it... Arizona and its water supply??!!! I doubt most people change their home linens everyday. Also available in the room was a Keurig Coffee maker, safe for valuables and small refrigerator. We had a suite and the only issue I had was the layout, where the clothes closet was out in the main area of the room, with no closet in the main bedroom. As others stated, the staff is welcoming and friendly, and Victoria Cote, one of the concierges, always had a smile and an excellent suggestion. I also had a facial and body treatment, which she graciously set up for me. It may be an older building, but the maintenance is spot on and you would never know that it wasn't a newer resort. There is a restaurant with great views of the Canyon and a Starbuck's for coffee, bakery and snacks. Three gift shops are on-site (jewelry/clothing/gifts). There is also a golf course, tennis court, a family swimming pool and an 18 and over swimming pool and the full service spa/salon. Tucson has a couple of malls and a medium sized outlet mall and no end of restaurants to satsfy any taste. I know we will be back the next time we are in Arizona!

Room Tip: The building is well insulated and you will not experience any road/traffic noise. We had a suite th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!