“There was a lack of consistency in the service experience” 3 of 5 stars

Free Beverages!
Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“There was a lack of consistency in the service experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When we checked in we asked for a room on the first floor with near a grass area. we had a dog with us. The front desk person, put us in a room over looking the outside dining area. Not exactly the view that I was paying 162.00 a night to enjoy. It wasn't close to the grass.The hotel was not close to full. So I went back and ask for a room that I knew was on the first floor with grass outside the door. The same person told me that room was on the fourth floor. It was apparent she was not familiar with the property. Our last night we were woken out of sound sleep at 4:00am by one of the employees rolling one of the carts past our door and then listen to it bang down 4 sets of steps. The food was excellent and the rest of the our service interactions were great. When I pay to stay at a resort, I expect great service,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Elgin, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, our two pets and I stayed here after an amazing Thanksgiving Buffet (our second year for the buffet) and were hoping that the accomodations were equally as amazing. Sadly, we left the next morning feeling very disappointed (and stiff) after an uncomfortable night on a hard and sagging king sized bed which was badly in need of replacing. The comforter duvet was faded and worn, with a hole in it and the love seat was in need of a GOOD steam cleaning. I thought it was possibly for pets only! The bathroom was fairly spacious with an oversized tub but only one sliding glass door that allows water to spray onto the floor outside the tub. Our toilet tank kept running and needed repair (and a good cleaning!).
There were no rules posted as far as leaving pets alone in the room, so we made them comfy with their own dog beds, toys and treats, and put the Westminster dog competition on for their viewing (-: As it was unseasonably warm that day, we set the A/C on and left the room to enjoy our buffet with his elderly parents. My husband went back to the room to check on our pets after an hour and was horrified to walk in to a stifling heated room reaching over 80 degrees. The cooling system did not function properly and was blowing HOT air! We checked with the front desk to find out if the whole hotel was turned over to only heat for the winter and neither of the clerks knew nor bothered to find out.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, the vistas gorgeous but the hotel management is not on top of the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms. I asked the manager if maybe our room was designated as pet friendly so therefore did not have the top of the line bedding and furnishings but he said any room could be designated as pet friendly depending on where a guest wishes to stay. That was not the case when I made our reservations. We were not given a choice as to what location in the hotel we wished to stay.
We have stayed in many luxury and fine hotels in Tucson but we would never stay at the Ventana again unless they update their bedding and furnishings AND conduct front desk and management customer service training. After voicing my concerns to the manager, he simply said that my complaints needed to be addressed by the room division manager.....But doesn't the HOTEL MANAGER oversee all???
I am so glad we had a military rate because had we payed full price, I would have been on the horn to the corporate office ASAP!
I am a native Tucsonan and have always wanted to stay at this property but what a terrible disappointment!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has new furnishings, bed and linens! Don't get a room near the kitchen compr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your stay and for your comments. We have shared your feedback with senior management and we do hope you will consider Loews Ventana Canyon again in the future.
Mark Lindsey
Director of Sales and Marketing
Winneconne, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here as part of my husband's company's annual meeting and we had a very nice stay. Tucked into the side of the mountains on the north edge of Tucson, it offered access to walking, hiking and wildlife watching. The resort is part of the Ventana Canyon. In another area of the resort, the ParCourse is great for getting in the day's exercise. I also took part in one of the workout classes (core, and did we get worked!!) Two friends and I were treated to Jeanine's expertise as head groundskeeper during her very informative tour from a plant and landscaping perspective (I'm a plant person). We also had a wonderful night star-watching session with a local astronomer. Our room was spacious and contrary to another reviewer, fluffy terry robes were provided, as well as shampoo, conditioner, bath/shower gel. This hotel participates in an environmental program, and states in their welcoming guide that bed linens are freshened but not changed everyday, unless requested, as part of resource saving. Think about it... Arizona and its water supply??!!! I doubt most people change their home linens everyday. Also available in the room was a Keurig Coffee maker, safe for valuables and small refrigerator. We had a suite and the only issue I had was the layout, where the clothes closet was out in the main area of the room, with no closet in the main bedroom. As others stated, the staff is welcoming and friendly, and Victoria Cote, one of the concierges, always had a smile and an excellent suggestion. I also had a facial and body treatment, which she graciously set up for me. It may be an older building, but the maintenance is spot on and you would never know that it wasn't a newer resort. There is a restaurant with great views of the Canyon and a Starbuck's for coffee, bakery and snacks. Three gift shops are on-site (jewelry/clothing/gifts). There is also a golf course, tennis court, a family swimming pool and an 18 and over swimming pool and the full service spa/salon. Tucson has a couple of malls and a medium sized outlet mall and no end of restaurants to satsfy any taste. I know we will be back the next time we are in Arizona!

Room Tip: The building is well insulated and you will not experience any road/traffic noise. We had a suite th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I just spent Thanksgiving at the Loews Ventana Canyon for three nights. The room was spacious(had a deluxe w/ two queen beds). The room itself was comfortable but the bedside lamp was a large one and didn't offer an option for one late night reader to read. It lit up the entire room. The views were wonderful but our room overlooked the pool and the "Bill's Cafe", poolside. The smoke from the grill entered our room if we opened the window-so we didn't. Bath was great, even a television in there while you are showering in this HUGE tub! Lots of towels, soaps, etc. We got a fantastic rate until I found out(not on my rental agreement) I had to pay $9.00 per day to park my own car. The place was empty!! This was in addition to $10.95 per day Internet charge(unlimited devices) and taxes and resort fees. We only had one meal at the resort. The poolside cafe has a nice selection of food. We had lunch and with tip it was $58.00 for two. Bring your purses people.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Staff is so friendly and seems to really care if you are enjoying yourself. Very responsive to any requests. Thanksgiving Day Buffet was spectacular. Our second trip back and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Loews Ventana Canyon resort over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, and had a marvelous stay. Our room was spacious with a patio that overlooked the city and mountains. The furnishings were very nice, and our beds were quite comfortable. The oversized bathtub could fit 5 (not that you would do that!), and the shower pressure and tempurature were excellent. The grounds were nicely maintained, and they were in the process of putting up Christmas lights and a 30 foot tree. The pool was wonderful, and the attendants set you up in lounge chairs with towels, sunscreen, and water. The hot tub was heavenly. There are several walks you can take behind the hotel from easy to difficult. The walk to the waterfall is an easy 10 minute stroll. A very nice resort in a beautiful setting!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The setting is beautiful but the hotel fails to deliver a top notch experience.

Our 4th floor room had a mountain view but lacked the amenities of a true resort or high end hotel. There were no terry cloth robes and the towels were thin, rough, and old. I had to write a note each day to have the bed linens changed. The bathroom wall paper was peeling off, and the screen door to the patio was broken. The furniture and decorations are dark and dated and we gave up on the TV. The bed was very uncomfortable - leading me to suspect that it's not replaced often as in other top hotels.

All the hallways seem to have a bad musty odor (how is this possible in the dry desert?) and the lighting throughout the hotel is very poor so be careful at night. I noticed that the lighting fixtures above the elevator doors were dirty and filled with hundreds of dead bugs. Yuck.

It appears that the hotel is luring people (and us) with special rates -- probably realizing that guests would be outraged if they had to pay full the price. BTW, there were two bottles of water in the room with a price tag of $8.00 on each. Ha!

Overall, the hotel is in real need of a professional cleaning team, repair work, attention to detail, or a major renovation.

Room Tip: The lower level rooms looked very undesirable especially the rooms facing the parking lot and the no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!