“the worst” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Park City, Utah
“the worst”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I am a elite member of La Quinta, and this is the worst hotel in the Chain. Rooms are ok, except for the mold in the Bathtub. Breakfast is ok, but out of cream and multiple items. Outside is a mess trash all over the grounds. This should not be in the La Quinta Chain

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

No pet policy &guests do not have to register the pets so staff have no idea where animals are so dogs can be let alone to bark & howl & staff will do nothing. Housekeeping does not vacuum. The staff eats sunflower seeds and spits them onto the carpet. No towels, toilet paper, or tissues when we first check in. Toilet leaked water onto the floor. You should take the name La Quinta away from this hotel. We will be staying at the Hampton Inn across the parking lot when were return to Tucson. NO SECURITY! People and children running around all hours of the night. Front desk does nothing. Not safe to stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Room was dirty. Customer service was non existent. We decided to leave early and were thanked by the staff for giving up the room. Save your money and never stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for the first time. Was a little timid about it from some of the reviews I read. However, it turned out to be a great place. Clean, well kept grounds, lovely pool and garden area. The room was spacious, beds were firm and comfortable. Plenty of linens and spotless bathroom. The complimentary breakfast was very good, the staff was friendly and courteous. It is in a good location with easy access to restaurants and shopping. We will definitely stay their again. Thanks La Quinta!

Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This hotel was way less expensive than others in the area. The outside of the rooms looked a little worn. We were pleasantly surprised with the inside , considering the mixed reviews on this site. The room was clean and in perfect order. The only thing that could have been better was the bottom of the tub. It had that nonslip surface that attracts dirt, and could have been a little cleaner.

The bed was comfortable for my husband, who has a bad back. Not too hard, and not too soft. I wished I had brought my own pillow, as theirs were too soft for me.

Our room faced a nice patio with tables and chairs, where we hung out with friends into the evening.

Our room didn't have a microwave, but that afternoon I went to the lobby and was able to make popcorn in the microwave in the breakfast area.

We didn't try the free breakfast, but our friends were impressed with the self serve waffles. There are two waffle irons into which you pour pre-measured batter, and also cereal, bagels, and other cold food.

Overall, I think the hotel is a very good value for a lower priced place, as long as you don't expect luxury. I would stay there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this location for one night. We checked into our room and right away we noticed the odor of smoke, and an ashtray on the desk (reservations were for a non-smoking room). I called the front desk and asked if the room we were staying in was a non-smoking room, which was confirmed. I then informed her that we had an ashtray in the room, and she proceeded to tell me that it was probably from the previous guests, but again confirmed that it was a non-smoking room. Come to find out the next morning from another employee at the front, that our room was a smoking room.
Room was dirty: Hair in the sink and on the floor; Towels looked like they were used; Coffee pot was dirty; Mirror was streaked like it was cleaned with a dirty towel. Overall, I was not impressed and will not stay at this location again.
Future Guests: If you're going to stay at this location, please request a room on the east side of the hotel, as there is a bar/club across the parking lot on the west side. We were awoken to a rowdy crowd in the parking lot after the bar closed.

St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

I have now stayed at the La Quinta Tucson East several times in the past three years for the convenience of the location and the great price. I'm not sure why I keep coming back except for these "amenities," because there is little else to attract one here.

The La Quinta website advertises "Wake up on the Bright Side" and touts the chain's "green" attributes, such as allowing guests to determine when bed linens should be changed. What they should state instead is that it's La Quinta staff--and defininitely not the guests--who determine when linens are changed. I support going green wherever possible and went along with the promise of a linen change every three nights, unless one places a card on the bed's pillow, which indicates linens are to be changed daily. After three nights, I placed the card on the pillow as insurance for a linen change as promised. When the linens were not changed as advertised and promised, I again placed the card on the pillow following the 4th night. And, once again, the linens were not changed. How do I know? I placed a tiny washable mascara mark in an inconspicuous location on the bottom sheet on both beds.

During each of my past stays here, there has been one day each visit when my rooms were never made up, despite having left them early in the day. When I went back to see if there was a theme, it was always the 3rd day of my stay. Imagine that. At least they didn't pretend to change the linens as they have during this stay!

Other things to watch out for at this location: the hot and cold water mixer does not work well. I've complained about this each stay, but nothing has changed. If one showers during a peak water-use time, one can count on rapidly alternating water temperatures that range from icy cold to scalding hot. The scalding temperatures would certainly be dangerous to young children and the elderly, and I'm not sure why they neglect fixing this. Maid service is irregular in terms of replacing coffee packets for the in-room coffee-maker and both water and coffee cups. Many times, I've not had either, and have needed to make a trip to the front desk to obtain them.

I feel it's always important to balance negative comments with positives, even though this quite likely will be my last stay at this La Quinta location. For an older hotel, they do try to keep it up with fresh paint and at least the outward appearance of cleanliness. However, given what they do with the bed linen promise, it makes me wonder what other corners they're cutting to save money in the area of sanitation.

Also, the management has always been prompt in trying to rectify problems, though they must lose money in the process of crediting my account for days when the rooms haven't been made up or for other more serious transgressions. But crediting the bill IS the only acceptable alternative for failure to accomplish the very things for which travelers choose hotel accommodations. Travelers want and expect neat, clean, tidy rooms with a level of cleanliness they can trust will be as advertised.

The price and location truly are outstanding. I'm able to enjoy desert temperatures in the winter on a budget, anda the central location is close to everything Tucson has to offer the winter traveler. For those who enjoy basking in the sunshine or taking a swim, there is a nice pool area in the courtyard.

If all one needs is location and value, this is the right hotel for the job. If, however, one expects that the promises for which they're paying will be kept and a certain level of service and cleanliness, it might be best to pass on this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to La Quinta Inn Tucson East? Share your experiences!