“Would Not stay again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Tucson Inn - Downtown

You added Howard Johnson Tucson Inn - Downtown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Tucson Inn - Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1010 South Freeway at 22nd & Starr Pass, Tucson, AZ 85745   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #122 of 128 Hotels in Tucson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I could not find my drivers lic. so I handed her my military ID and she said that is was not a valid ID. So I hunted and finally found my DL. While I was looking, my friend pulled out his mexico ID and she said that was acceptable. HHMMM. Then the room had a torn bed cover like someone had taken a knife to it, the sheet had small wholes in them but only noticable if you moved the pillows and the top sheet. The inside of the shower curtain rod was tagged with fancy writing from a sharpie that said "SWEET" something. The bed was also hard as a rock and the pillows flat as a board. I was going to take pictures, but I decided that since I was there for a charity run, I would start by not taking the pictures. Other than that, the location is what we needed, the room was clean and lack of parking did not bother me so much because I could see my car from my room due to the lack of enough curtains keeping out the light. It was not what I expected from the name Howard Johnson.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Normally I would expect better from Howard Johnson.
Price was cheap and the staff was nice but this place was really outdated and ran down.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Your staff was amazing but the TV barely worked the shower was horrible but if you guys just put a little more work in the rooms I would rate it a 5

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Stanton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I swore I would never post a negative review. However, I feel it necessary to protect the uninformed.

Let me first say, the staff here were very friendly. I would give them "5 Stars", but that is where the "good" in my experience ends (exception missing manager...never available).

Facility is very old and run down. If I had had the opportunity to see this place in the daylight before we checked in, I would have never entered. We were so tired from our drive in, that we just wanted to stop and rest, but that was not easy.

Curtains in the room had holes from wear. They did not even cover the windows which consist of on of the walls of the room! Carpet was dirty, and the lights over the vanity did not work at first (I will get to that later). All furniture was old and run down. The phone had no numbers or instructions for getting a call to the lobby, we used our cell phones which in hindsight was probably best. Bedding was acceptable, and again the staff was on the spot with problems. "Free Guest Parking" well duh it is one big parking lot with spots in front of your room, literally.

So, if you adventure to stay here, the vanity lights, room lights, and TV are all on one switch. You cannot watch TV without having bright vanity lights. By the way TV is a 1980's tube TV (No I am serious). Our vanity lights were unscrewed in order to have minimal light cascading throughout the room. The walls might as well have been exterior stucco.

We checked out immediately the next morning. But wait there is more... If you want to loose your appetite, head to the lobby (that smells) and enjoy a continental breakfast. I believe most of the food sets out all night. They could not provide us a receipt for our stay because the manager was not available. Apparently it takes a managers approval to verify anyone really stayed here and he does not take phone calls. Thank goodness for sites like these (Hotel.com, Trip Advisor) that help to reserve and pay for these hotels.The got to us and refunded our payment for the last two days we were scheduled to stay.

We initially booked this place due to it close proximity to the convention center. We had an early start and were unfamiliar with the traffic in Tucson or the area for that matter. The pictures are not "photo shopped". They are taken at the best lighting situation for this scary place.

I would not stay here for any reason. In searching later, there are other facilities with cleaner sites and comparable prices. Howard Johnson's corporate office should do a surprise inspection. I am sure it would not be still a "Howard Johnson" site. If they know about this, then shame on them.

Room Tip: The good room is across the freeway in any location except here.