“Historic Jewel shines brighter than ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Arizona
“Historic Jewel shines brighter than ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at the Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort over the July 4th Holiday Weekend, in one of the "historic rooms" that were part of the original exclusive young ladies' boarding school dating from the 1930's. The Resort has stayed as true as possible to the iconic Spanish Colonial original construction while providing its guests every amenity. Yes, the original buildings show their age if you look closely, but step back and you feel transported to the Spanish colonial Southwest once more, even in the newer additions. The central courtyard bordered by the library on one side and guest rooms on the other three is a naturalist's delight. Our room, on the second floor, had a walkway/shared balcony that overlooked the courtyard and the city of Tucson on the valley below. Every morning, we enjoyed fresh coffee while watching the birds and lizards flitting in and out of the mature vegetation and the multitude of large pots overflowing with flowers. City lights were amazing at night, accompanied of course by a drink of choice from the fully-stocked bar below. What is most striking about this resort is the lack of "resort fees", also known as "nickle and dime" charges. Icy cold bottles of water in our room daily, along with Arbuckle ariosa coffee, fresh towels, fresh bedding, bathrobes and bathing supplies; free Internet in our room; and the most gracious staff we've ever experienced, all at no additional charge. From the time we checked in, when the parking attendant noticed we had made a wrong turn and came to direct us to our room, to the time we checked out, when the Front Desk noticed, on their own, that the charges that had been allocated to our room did not reflect our discount, we felt warmly welcomed. One staff member, the night we checked in at 9 pm still a bit hungry, quietly mentioned our plight to the maitre d' who was overseeing the takedown of a special dining event that left the kitchen unable to accommodate other orders. The maitre d' tracked us down in the bar and invited us to fill a plate from the special event buffet, since "the event is done and the remaining food might as well be eaten". We can't imagine a more gracious treatment! Oh, and by the way, the food is FABULOUS. Taking all the mothers in our family, from 90-year old great-grandma to our 30-something daughter and her family, to the Mother's Day Brunch at the Hacienda del Sol Grill is an annual treat not to be missed. If you choose one of the much newer, "posh" resorts for your stay in Tucson rather than the Hacienda del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, you will have missed experiencing the heritage and the renowned hospitality of this area; and that would be a shame indeed.

Room Tip: The second-floor rooms are not for the impaired mobility traveler.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Corelli,
Thank you for such a wonderful review based on your experiences over the 4th of July here at the Hacienda. I shared your review with everyone in every dept. at the hotel in our meeting yesterday and everyone was so excited, pleased and appreciative of your review.
I wanted to touch on just a few highlights within your review which stand out.
We certainly are a property which has resisted the nickel and dime approach through the years. There have been many discussions of adding resort fees, parking etc. In the end we always shy away and feel that it is just not worth it when the feeling in traveler forums and social media is that guests dont like them and are not a good value. We also prefer that you keep some extra cash to use at our restaurants, Spa and in you sightseeing activities.
Also I am greatly appreciative of our dining staff accommodating your late night hunger after our special event. With limited hours in Summer and with the limited options with 4th of July it is the least we can do to make sure our late arriving guests do not go hungry and start their stay on a positive note.
Thank you for bringing your family to Hacienda to stay and for various special events like Mothers Day, we hope we have earned your repeat business and "posh" or "uppity" will never be what we are about as you mention. Regards

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Palm Springs, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in Room 19 which was the Headmistresses room when it was a girls boarding school. We enjoyed it beyond words! The Talavera pottery, the day of the dead decor, so much history! Room 19 is like a little suite with a sitting room and separate bedroom, a charming back patio open to the desert landscape and the front door opens to the front courtyard. The library and lobby as well as the exterior grounds are so wonderful. The pool has such a gorgeous view of the mountain! I had no idea Tucson held such a little gem. The Grille and Terrace are delish, but that's another review ;-)

Room Tip: Room 19 is perfect if traveling with dogs, and the staff is so nice!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Marjorie,
Thank you for coming out from California to both stay and dine with us. I appreciate your sharing thoughts on the experience with us and also on the restaurants Trip Advisor pages.
I am glad to hear that you were able to learn the unique history of that Suite # 19 which dates back 85 years. As you mention that Suite also has many quirky decorations and fun little nooks with various pottery and unusual "trinkets". You would be surprised how many locals don't even know were here, trying to spread the word one guest at a time.
We hope you can make the trip out "East " again in the future, we welcome dogs and have plenty of space for them to roam and play outside. Regards
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Searching for a quick get away I came across this gem through a Groupon special..After reviewing the hotel and pictures I quickly made my Groupon purchase! Upon arriving to this adorable guest ranch I was quickly sucked in by its charm and beauty. The gardens were beautiful and the ranch spoke serenity, peace, and relaxation the moment I stepped out of the car. We knew immediately we had made the right choice! Upon entering to check in, we were immediately greeted with warm hospitality by Carla. She gave us all the information we needed about the ranch and told us about happy hour in the bar and their wonderful wine tastings on Mondays. We were so relieved to be out of the car after our drive so we stretched our legs and walked right over to the bar for a nice brisk beer. I can not say enough about the hospitality of this beautiful guest ranch.... the hostess was very warm and genuine in her greeting. She again informed us of their happy hour and made our reservation for dinner. John the manager was so polite and invited us to come enjoy wine tasting that evening of some fabulous Spanish wines he selected for the evening. Great choice of wines I might add! After our crisp beer we went to explore our room. It was perfect! We stayed in room 41 and had an incredible view of the Tucson Valley! Gorgeous! We took a short rest then headed back up to the main part of the guest ranch, which by the way if you love history has a ton of it! Loved reading about how the ranch started as a girls boarding school for the elite then turned into a guest ranch for guests hosting to fabulous names as John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, and Clark Gable. Wow! Off to dinner we went which we had to change our reservation lol as we got to talking to some very nice guests on property, so we finally make it over to the their award winning restaurant by the way, and sit on the beautiful patio to enjoy our evening. We enjoyed their dinner special...I had the incredible scallops and my husband a beautiful NY Strip...YUM! As we are enjoying our dinner here comes Eduardo who serenades us with us with his beautiful guitar music! I could not believe it! I could have sat and listened to him all night! Thank you for the cd Eduardo I listened to it all the way home! I could go on and on about this place but you would eventually give up reading my novel.... so let me just say this in closing! The hospitality of this incredibly serene and beautiful guest ranch just blew me away! Thank you to John, Laura, Preston, Chris, Carla, Landons, Q (you know who you are my fabulous hostess with the long name lol) oh my gosh everyone thank you thank you! We are going to be back in August! Can not wait to see you all again! Go to this Guest Ranch Readers! You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All the rooms are gorgeous! We stayed in room 41. Had a great view out our window of the Beautiful...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for coming to stay at Hacienda del Sol during our annual Summer Groupon sale. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a detailed and glowing review regarding your stay
Despite being our slow season, Hospitality remains a top focus for us. Thank you for pointing out a few individuals who took this to heart and started off your stay well and throughout.
I believe the phrase information is power and we make sure to inform guests of the variety of activities, tiny details etc or how else can guests like yourself maximize the experience with so little time sometimes. You came on a perfect day and we appreciate you taking advantage of the Wine Monday event in the bar. Kudos to the restaurant staff for continuing your excellent service over during the event and dinner.
Please contact me directly if I can assist with any plans for your return visit in August, I would love to try and get you the same room you enjoyed or possible have you try some of our other rooms around the property. I am also happy to take care of a return reservation in the restaurants. Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stop 2 on our USA road trip. I was a bit nervous about this one, as most of the other hotels we had booked were 5*, but was convinced by previous reviews,. The hotel is lovely, different and personal. We had a Casita with its own car porch, that was very useful. The casita was very comfortable and had a lovely verandah with amazing sunset views- very peaceful. There is something to eat for every budget, a happy hour and bar menu, a more up market restaurant that had a two course for 39 dollars offer when we were there- great food and views - or you could go to the local Safeway and eat in! We did all three. Breakfast was very special and the hotel itself has a fascinating history. The staff were excellent.. We had a horse ride while we were there - a very gentle stroll as we are novices, but they do cater for every ability.

Room Tip: The Casitas are spacious and the car canopy and verandah added to the stay
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear SPM,
Thank you making the Hacienda a stop on your US road trip, I hope by now you have enjoyed a few more places, met a few more nice people and stayed in some more top notch hotels. Social media as you mention can certainly sway travelers in one direction and we take this ton heart by striving to maintain high rankings.
As variety is the spice of life I see you lived that for a few days here with your various meal styles and options. We try to keep options open for the various style of travelers, this also helps leave some spending money available to do other activities like the horseback riding and sightseeing in town.
Thank you for dining with us twice in our restaurants, the Summer $ 39 special started last season and was such a hit with locals and guests that we brought it back this year.
I appreciate the mention of our staff, these reviews reinforce the way we approach service and everyones hard work and enthusiasm.
I love your room tip, the Casitas are a great option for privacy and the ease of having your car at the room for easy get in and out especially when going to the store and in town often as seems you did.
Continued success and fun in your travels and safe travels eventually heading back home, we hope you make it to us again on your next holiday. Regards
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my first visit to Hacienda Del Sol and I can't wait to go back (though left yesterday!) First of all, I am a sucker for history. It was originally built in the Great Depression era as an all-girls luxury boarding school. Walking around reminded me of being in one of the beautiful Spanish missions in California, AZ, etc. They have done an excellent job of restoring the original architecture, decor etc, and mixing in the necessary modern comforts and amenities. The room was immaculate and nicely appointed, again with a lot of beautiful Spanish revival touches. The hotel has a smaller boutique feel, with really nicely landscaped grounds and a lot of nice touches.

The staff does a great job too! The front desk opened the gift shop early for me so I could make a purchase before an engagement. They were genuinely interested in how my stay was going, and had that friendly but professional - not stuffy or "I don't care attitude." The restaurant was delicious, and ended up eating all three meals there! Definitely recommend the chicken and waffles (gourmet version) for dinner and then the housemade chorizo breakfast burrito for breakfast (if you have an appetite). The pool was really nice and refreshing ... for the 95 degree temp at 7am! I met another guest in the pool that was also happy to find a unique hotel that wasn't your average boxy, predictable, airport or city hotel. Definitely coming back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Peter,
Thank you for coming out to stay with us last week. We also appreciate the thoughtful review of your brief experience here at the Hacienda. It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay and hope you can make it out again for a more leisure trip.
I am happy to see the Grand Casita was comfortable, well appointed and you also appreciated the mix of old charm and modern amenities which are seen throughout the property as you saw and mention.
The benefits of having the desk so close and run the gift shop is that we are very flexible for guests needs especially those last minute toothpaste or late night snack urges and will always open up any time a guests needs.
Thank you for dining with us twice on your short stay, I hope the chicken and waffles beat out your home area Roscoe's, it has become a fan favorite here. As you say definitely come hungry for breakfast, the portions are meant to get people through long days of sightseeing, hiking or just a whole day at the pool without having to break up the fun for lunch. Regards
Menifee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wonderful place to stay! It's away from the hustle and bustle of the city with beautiful nature all around. The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The people that work there are very nice and very professional. The internet was great. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! We stayed in one of the historical rooms and got lucky by getting one where the windows face east...perfect to see the sunrise in the morning. There are two restaurants and they had live music in both. Although, we didn't get a chance to eat there this time. Be sure to take a camera as there are photographic opportunities every where you look at this place. And, with all those wonderful things about it, it's amazing what a deal it is! I've stayed at places twice as much or more that haven't measured up to Hacienda del Sol. With that said, I hope they don't raise their prices. A great find!

Room Tip: The historical rooms with windows that face east are great for a view of the sunrise. Some of the o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Funsters,
First off love your screen name. Thank you for coming out from the Inland Empire and staying with us recently. Thank you for the room tip also, while we cannot guarantee specific room numbers we are most happy to try and accommodate special requests for views and location.
As you mention it is very common to see people walking around with their cameras and taking shots of both the historical spots, the natural landscapes, some critter friends you come across and much more. We enjoy when guests post these online as they help market what we are about and where we have come from.
We are certainly not a nickel and dime property and try to keep our rates as reasonable and in line with the times and business climate as we can. We try and cater to many segments of the population, why limit ourselves and who can come enjoy what we have. Regards
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first visit to Hacienda Del Sol and this time was for our anniversary. We stayed 2 nights in a king suite with a private patio. The room was decorated in a colorful southwest style and was very nice and comfortable, would strongly recommend room #19. We would return to it for another stay. The staff from the registration desk to all in the restaurants were exceptional. They (Simon) answered all our questions and took care of reservations at both restaurants, The Grill and Terraza. Our first dinner on the Terraza patio on Sunday evening was good. We enjoyed the blues music and the peach Sangria was very tasty, the hummus appetizer was tasty and was a good portion, the fish tacos were excellent. Our second dinner for our anniversary celebration was at The Grill. Superb wait staff, friendly and attentive. Good recommendations for appetizers and meal. My wife had the pork chop, unlike any I have ever seen before that was beyond excellent, so good and tender. I had the Creola Salmon, a mixture of vegetables in a light broth with shrimp, crab and salmon. Again, one of the best meals I have ever had. Classical guitar music by Dr. Costa was an enjoyable addition to the evening as he came by all tables to play. The location is beautiful with great views of the Santa Catalina Mountains. If you want an enjoyable, quiet and relaxing place to get away - this is it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel,
Thank you for coming up from S.V to stay with us and Happy Belated Anniversary also. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Suite, that unit has a long history and was used as the Headmistress Suite back in the girls school days. We also have 4 other just a lovely suites on property if you want to try something new.
We appreciate your mention of the staffs treatment during your stay. Simon send his regards and we always reward employees who get mentioned by name.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on property and dining in the Grill and Terraza restaurants. Your review detailing is making me hungry, we are very happy to see both meals were superb in both food and service. I will be reading this to our restaurant management on next week.
We hope you will make us a fixture for your future anniversaries and if I can assist with any plans please contact me anytime. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!