“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. George, Utah
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Maybe you'll get lucky and stay in a suite once frequented by Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. The Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort is a Tucson icon with fabulous views of the Santa Catalina mountains. You won't have to leave the resort for meals - the restaurants both have excellent menus so you can enjoy the resort and forget about the rest of the world, but I would recommend getting out at least one day to visit the Desert Museum - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear RPainter,
Thank you for visiting us from the Beehive State. I appreciate taking the time to share thoughts on your time with us.
As you mention the legend has it that Katherine and Spencer spent some of their together time here. We believe the Grand Casita is where they stayed and it is now named the Spencer Tracy Casita in honor. For a piece of Hollywood history and to take a trip back in time this is a wonderful house to stay while here
Tucson is a wonderful city but we are certainly happy as you say if guests spend all their time with us and forget the world outside. I loved this comment in your review. The Desert Museum if you must leave is definately a wonderful attraction and makes for a great half day or so trip. Almost as great as the beautiful national parks you have up there in Utah.
Safe travels back home and hope to see you again when coming down South in the future. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Altamont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I ended up at the Hacienda del Sol as a result of some flight miles we had to use up. Sort of a throw the dart at the map trip that landed us in Tuscon. I did select the Hacienda Del Sol due to the fabulous reviews, and it definitely lived up to those reviews. This is an amazing little resort right at the foothills of the Santa Catalina mountains - and what an UNBELIEVABLE view of the mountains you have!

Due to our overwhelming satisfaction with our stay, this review is lengthy. I will break it down by category, so you can skip to what most interests you.

ROOMS: We booked a suite with a patio (very reasonable price for the accommodations provided). The suites are a few steps away from the main building along a quaint pathway through their unbelievable cacti and dessert plants. We had a separate little building with one other suite attached to us. It was like having our own little place. The room had nice decor, a comfortable bed and was clean.

FOOD: The food here is excellent! They have 2 restaurants (The Grill and Terraza) that share 1 outside patio (which we used for every meal except breakfast, because it's too cold then). You can order off either menu. The Grill is more fine dining and the Terraza more casual. We ended up ordering off the Terraza menu for every meal, as the selections were so great. It was as if someone custom made a menu just for us. Every single thing we ate was excellent and of high quality. "Casual" food was elevated to another level. They also have a great cocktail menu. The restaurants seemed to be popular locally as well, as we observed many locals coming for lunch and dinner - although we never had a problem getting a table (reservations recommended for dinner).

POOL: The pool was perfect. It is heated, so it's always a perfect temperature. You have a nice view of the mountains from the pool as well. There is also a hot tub just down a stairwell from the pool that we enjoyed as well.

SERVICE/STAFF: Excellent, excellent, excellent! Everyone we encountered was pleasant, courteous and accommodating. Front desk staff, housekeeping, restaurant staff were all exceptional. The perfect mix of friendliness with professionalism.

ACTIVITIES: There is horseback riding available on site. We took a 1 1/2 hour ride and were very happy with it. We also went to Sabino Canyon (15 minute drive away) and took the 45 minute tram ride into the canyon. I highly recommend this. Absolutely stunning scenery! You can also hike in the canyon. There are other things to do in the area, but we mostly wanted a low key relaxing vacation.

All of the above combined with the fact that we seemed to hit the resort at an unusually slow time (as we felt like we had the place to ourselves at times) made for a fantastic stay. We travel a couple of times a year and this is, by far, one of the best places we have stayed at. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Spring for the suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra,
Thank you and your dart for choosing to come to Tucson and stay with us recently. I like your category breakdown, helps make my replying easier and simple for fellow travelers navigate all your points.
Starting bottom to top we appreciate you taking a ride at our on-site Stables, the weather during the day has become perfect for a jaunt through the arroyo and canyon. Sabino Canyon is one of the best and most visited places in Tucson. Its great that you can enjoy the atmosphere either hiking or riding the tram especially on those scorching afternoons.
I want to thank you for acknowledging and our Staff for providing triple excellent service while here. We can have all the great facilities, landscapes and food but without our dedicated staff the experience would only be half fulfilling in my opinion.
We appreciate you joining us in both dining rooms many times during your stay. Both kitchens have recently came out with new menus. The chefs will love to hear that both have been well received especially the elevation of the casual menu which they have added a few "higher" end items for a good balance.
Value is important these days and I am happy to see the Suite was clean and comfortable for you at a reasonable price for such. Sounds like you had the Suite on our west side, those are great for some seclusion and great desert landscapes right outside and on the way to our main areas.
Thank you for the beautiful pictures posted, I love the one at the pool during sunset. We look forward to you coming back to see us in the future and safe continued travels. Regards
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at many resorts and similar places throughout the world, but Hacienda del Sol is up there with the best. We stayed 4 nights in October and wished we had booked for a longer time. The grounds are very picturesque and the buildings most attractive. Our one bedroom suite (Number4) permitted wonderful views and was tastefully decorated. The food at this resort more than met our expectations, both in the outdoors patio area and in the more up market grille. We were fortunate that there was a wine tasting being held during our stay and while the Argentinian wines were good the associated food was a highlight. Comment also needs to be made regarding the high quality and friendly staff at the resort. John, the Guest Services Manager, and Pifer in the restaurant, warrant special mention, since it is their leadership which is reflected in the attitude and performance of their staff. We can recommend this resort to travelers who want quality accommodation and service. We would stay again without any question. Well done Hacienda Del Sol!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, which had a very large bedroom and a smaller separate lounge area. These suite...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Murray,
Thank you for coming to stay with us during your baseball tournament recently. I did not get the chance to meet you but I hope your team did well. We appreciate you recommending us to your fellow Australian travelers and the praise of being up there with the best hotels you have stayed at around the world.
Thank you for attending the Argentina Heart and Soul Wine event, we do 3-4 of these every year with different wine themes and corresponding food.
You stayed in what many of us call the "sunset" suite. The many windows especially in the bedroom allow for the fantastic views especially of sunsets. I am also glad you enjoyed the Southwest decor of the suite.
I shared your kind words with both Pifer and John this morning. They sincerely appreciate your mention and acknowledgement of their service. We can all take cues from these guys on customer service and I myself learn new tricks by observing them in action.
Continued success with your baseball team and everyone hopes to see you again if your in this part of the world. Cheers
NOZAY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Yes we spent 3 nights in this Resort (a Summit one). We are somewhat disappointed, for
several raisons. First we went there 3 years ago for a diner : this diner where fantastic.
This year we were disapointed with the deserts, not as good as before. But the main courses
and the appetizers were exquisite. One of the waitresses were really not friendly with us,
BUT another one called Berenda, was really really fantastic, and deserve a special mention.
Concerning the rooms we were disapointed about the maintenance : a bit dusty, the cleaning
not very well done, holes in the sheets and the towels, the terrace not clean at all. Concerning
the swimming pool, we had to claim for towels because there were no one left. We think that
in an hotel this standing, it should not be that way. The gardens are very beautiful, but seemed
not to be very well kept. A good thing, the lobby welcoming was very nice and helping.

Room Tip: Not to close to the lobby and the restaurants, there are events nearly every night, causing noise a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Patty,
Thank you for coming back to stay and dine with us, also for taking some time to share your thoughts. We appreciate both your positive comments and constructive criticisms.
I am thoroughly sorry to hear that this visit brought some disappointments. My apologies the service in the restaurant was uneven between our staff members, friendliness should be standard. I am happy to see that Dorinda was able to show you how we really aim to serve guests. She is probably our most singled out employee due to her extreme friendliness and graciousness. As always I will share your review with her.
On the hotel side there is no excuse for unkempt linens, that is a failure of both our housekeeping and management including me personally, we are in charge of inspecting the rooms to alleviate these issues before guests arrive. This also applies for the dusty conditions you found, my apologies we were not thorough in making sure everything in the room was up to our high standards for you.
I hope we can have another chance to make back the experience and impressions from your first trip here in the future. Regards
Nepean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We recently stayed three nights in a one bedroom suite and found the accommodation to be spacious and tastefully decorated with a great view. The only thing lacking was a safe for storing valuables.The look of this resort is quite pleasing esthetically and the grounds are very pretty with beautiful landscaping.
We went to the Grill for dinner all 3 nights. The quality was very good to excellent. Unfortunately we stayed during a change in seasonal pricing and a great 3 course prix fixe deal for the first two days was no longer available for the third evening when the a la carte prices
were excessively high , with most mains averaging $40 at least.
One disappointing note in our experience was the discovery that the so-called Bed and Breakfast
Package for which we paid a hefty premium, was limited to only one entree and either coffee or juice. This is not specified on their web site, nor was it mentioned to us by the reservations person
on the phone when I inquired about this package. Consequently we felt taken for a ride. For the very high price paid for the package, this restriction seemed unfair and petty.
One other negative experience was the arrival. The man at the reception desk did not greet or welcome us
at all when we checked in and was all business.He impatiently rattled off a standard monologue about facilities as if eager to be done with us .
The pool and hot tub were an oasis of tranquility and I enjoyed the beautiful scenery there.
Overall this is a quality hotel but needs attention to its dining room pricing structure and
front desk training.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gordon,
Thank you for visiting us all the way from Canada. I also appreciate your comments both positive and your constructive criticisms as well.
I am thrilled to hear you found your room to be comfortable, spacious and well appointed. Also I am glad you enjoyed the scenery around the property, I never get tired of the beauty of the plants and flowers mixed with the desert landscapes of the cactus and wildlife.
I must apologize for the experience you had at check it. I personally handled your check in and I cannot explain why I was not up to the form and standards that I aim for every check in. There was no excuse that I did not hit or exceed the service you expected. I do appreciate this being pointed out sometimes outside eyes/ears are needed to help us grow.
Our restaurants do run seasonally with menus and pricing. The $ 29 special was for Summer which ends at the end of Sept. While I do understand your frustration having straddled the high and low pricing dates, we do feel that with the level of food, AAA 4 Diamond rating and many awards our pricing is in line with similar places.
I do hope the positive aspects of your stay will have you come stay with us in the future. I also hope I have the opportunity to show you what a true check in of mine looks like. Regards
Tucson, Arizona, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Chef Bruce Yim has really made the dining room sing since coming to the resort. His menu and talent show a wide range of continental treats to enjoy. The dining room itself is a well designed and executed ranch style interiors. While although not inexpensive HDS possess one of the nicest wine lists in Tucson. Over the years I've had the pleasure of eating in the dining room on many occasions without disappointment. The Sunday brunch is wonderful as well. Do yourself a favor and try it. I'm certain you will enjoy it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Travellor,
Thank you for coming back to see and dine with us recently, we appreciate your repeat business over the years. Bruce and certainly been a welcome addition to our culinary team since starting. After getting his feet wet I can see a marked improvement in the creativity, variety and execution in the dishes. Having had the pleasure of doing a testing for the newest Grill menu I was blown away at some of the unique flavors and presentation of the offerings. I expect this evolution to continue over your many next visits, keeping things new and fresh helps keep our long time guests suprised and interested. I will share your fine words with Chef tomorrow and again thank you for coming back. Regards
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The negative reviews of Hacienda del Sol don't really do it justice.

I was at the Hacienda del Sol just this weekend. I had hesitated before booking because of a few negative reviews, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was quite nice.

My husband and I stayed in one of the historic rooms on the courtyard, which is landscaped with desert flora - lots of cacti, shrubs, flowers. The effect is a bit overdone, but it blocks any view of the rooms across the way and gives a sense of privacy.

The room was fairly spacious, very quiet, and nicely appointed. It was also very clean. Accommodations are depicted honestly on the hotel's website, although the rooms are a bit darker than in the photographs.

The HVAC units are attached to the walls, but that's to be expected in a property that's made of adobe and more than 80 years old. The a/c unit had a low hum but it was not bothersome.

The bathroom had a pedestal sink, a recessed wooden medicine cabinet, and a standard tub surrounded by floral blue-and-white tile. Storage space for toiletries is minimal compared to a a double sink, but we made do with the medicine cabinet and the 8-inch ledge of the bathroom window. Plenty of hot water, fluffy towels, and quick housekeeping service; the bed was very comfortable and was made by 12 noon every day.

Older reviews mention unclean rooms with pests. I did not see anything of the kind during my stay, and I am scrupulous about staying in spotless hotels.

The hotel is not cheap. The gov't rate is $90 a night during the week, but that's not always available. With a AAA discount, I paid maybe $50-60 more a night than one would at a nice Holiday Inn or Hampton. Still, it's a historic hotel in the desert, and worth the expense.

We didn't eat at the grill; it was out of our budget. $42 for monkfish? Yeah, right. I wish the prices had been more reasonable. Nevertheless, I was told the food was good by people who had eaten there.

The horseback riding (Spanish Trail Outfitters) was excellent. Solid, active horses, interesting terrain (lots of hills), and our guide, Nicki, was lovely and outgoing.

My only quibble is with the reservation process. There was some confusion on the hotel's part when it came to the type of room reserved and the length of my stay. If you have your hotel confirmation in hand, though, the front desk will not give you any problems. Also, when I reserved the room, I had asked for a standard discount (AAA, gov't, etc.) At the time, I was told that the rate wasn't available. But when I checked out, the clerk asked me why I had not gotten the discounted rate.

That being said, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Miss,
Thank you for coming to visit us from the Nations Capital. It is great to hear that you chose to come see us despite a few negative reviews recently. We feel the totality of reviews over the years represents more of who we are. We are always learning from our mistakes.
Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness and prompt service of your room. Our housekeepers work tirelessly to ensure a clean environment. We recently did some more detailed work in the rooms to address the occasional bug issue.
Truth in advertising is a must in this industry so I appreciate hearing that what we show online. reflects what guests stay in. We had our designer out this week to tackle some furnishing and the lighting issue you bring up. The courtyard bathrooms were made for girls of the 1940's. It is hard to expand these while keeping the charm and decor.
Thank you for using our Stables on property, I will share your review with their owner, they should hear the great positive feedback they are doing for our guests.
My apologies for the lack of clarity on your rate during the reservation process. We should always be super clear and confirm all the details with guests before finalizing the reservation. I spoke to the Agent who assisted you and we are working on the phone reservation process with him. I hope in the end we were able to make everything right with your rate and room type.
We would love to have you come stay again, please contact me if I can assist with future accurate reservations. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!