“A great experience.” 5 of 5 stars

20% Off Plus Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
“A great experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a modern 200+ room motel, this is not it. But, if you want a great experience with personal service, this is the place. A very nice southwest decor, with a historical perspective.

By the way, the 10 ft deep pool open 24 hours, was a great amenity.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear MI,
Thank you for coming to visit us recently. Also thank you for providing a short and sweet review of your time spent with us. I appreciate you mentioning our unique pool, we really like to sell the fact that we are one of the only hotels in town to have the pool open 24 hours. It is great to take a night swim when its still 90 degrees out under the beautiful Tucson sky.
We are definately not your standard large corporate type hotel however as you mention we still strive to provide the most personal, timely service to guests. We have the advantage of our Front Desk being able to help with check in, concierge services, any needs without having to send guests to 5 different people for help.
We would definately love to have you stay again, please contact me if I can assist with any future plans. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This wonderful hotel brings you back to the genteel days of what hospitality use to represent..superb service, very good food and the lack of corporate interference an motivation for just making a dollar...

Sprawling grounds, Spanish colonial architecture and just a southwestern vibe that is hard to find..that is what awaits you. We have been here before for the excellent food and views that take your breath away..now it's our favorite staycation get-a-way! Shhh!

Room Tip: Will do the spa next trip..stayed in the smaller rooms..quiet..charming..all the amenities...all the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear D, Thank you for making the journey to our half of the state to stay with us. I appreciate taking the time also to leave a review of your time here. I really enjoyed your first paragraph, we do run independent of any chain/corporate "interference" which allows us much more flexibility and empowerment in assisting guests, making changes on the fly and handling issues in a much quicker time frame. Dont get us wrong making a dollar is why we are here but as you say there are ways to do this while also catering to guests in flexible ways, without you and the rest of the travel community we would not exist otherwise.
Please contact me anytime if I can assist with your next stay with us, we do have a few packages that include spa services and I am happy to arrange these treatments as well as the hotel side. Regards
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The staff was very friendly and professional. The rooms were very pleasant and clean, and the decor and ambiance of the entire hotel is incredible. I couldn't recommend this hotel more given the price. The only draw-back is that the location is pretty far back in the town for those of us just traveling through Tucson.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Katy, Thank you for heading west from Gator Country to come stay with us recently. Thank you also for sharing some of your experience in this forum. I am thrilled you found our Summer rates worth the value, if you can deal with the heat the Summer is a great time to stay, a little quieter and again significantly lowered prices. My apologies our location didnt quite work as well for your needs, I hope what we offered on property helped minimize the impact. While we are a little drive from some popular attractions, you cannot be this area for dining, shopping and other cultural activities. Safe travels back to Florida and hope to see you next Summer. Regards
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Well first off I'd like to reiterate that this review is, as always, based on my experience of the room and services I was provided!!!

The hotel itself is totally stunning, old and has lots of character... And it is in the hills with a great setting and it is in a great location for downtown tucson!! The staff were also very friendly and very helpful.

Now for the bits I would say weren't very convenient... The hotel obviously has a great reputation amongst the locals, and has great dining facility's and a spa, however due to that I found myself parked a fair distance away from the lobby and my room, and because we were travelling we had a lot of bags which we had to drag everywhere!! I think there might have been room allocated parking, but someone had parked in it and the car park was jammed packed!! Now to the room, we waited for an upstairs room to be cleaned so we could enjoy a view over the mountains that are behind the hotel, and I was extremely disappointed to find that the room that we were allocated didn't have much of a view due to there being a bush in the way... Somebody has already mentioned about the air con unit which was also a bit of a problem in my room!!

I don't think this hotel deserves a bad review, and had we maybe been allocated a room either side of the one we had, the view might if been what I expected!!! I might feel a little disappointed because this holiday is a once in a life time trip for me and we have spent a fair bit of money trying to book amazing hotels with lovely views, and I never really got to see that from this hotel!!!

Having said all that the hotel is stunning, and well worth staying at!!

• Stayed June 2013
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Ben, Thank you for coming across the pond to come with us at the Hacienda. I appreciate the time taken to share your experience and give feedback. Despite the issues I will address, I am pleased to hear that you found our service and grounds met your expectations, I hope we provided a good base for your sightseeing and leisure activities here in Tucson.
I would like to apologize that the view from your room was not what was expected. The upstairs courtyard rooms in general do have the best views in the hotel due to the elevation and no other buildings anywhere near. Sometimes we enjoy the scenery and landscapes so much we dont notice things like you mention trees blocking views and such. I will say that your review has prompted Ownership action to trim and shape tress/plants around the whole property where they may affect the views and general appeal for guests. I myself had our Landscapers trim a tree in one of our Suites which was becoming overgrown on the patio. I may have not noticed except having read your review that same day.
I am not going to lie parking at many hotels is a tricky situation. There is no excuse for not having assistance with luggage, I do want to say that if we are notified we have many staff that is ready to help at anytime. We recently purchased a new bell cart to better serve guests needs like this. In Tucson I know of many hotels where self parking is literally a 5-10 min walk to the lobby and rooms, this does not mitigate your experience here. Also we feel that due to the concerns of many guests like yourself we do not charge for parking whether valet or self.
I do appreciate you tempering your review and score based more on the positives and as mentioned we take the good with the bad and learn from it, without feedback from you and fellow guests we cannot grow and change things to better serve everyone.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travels back to the UK. Cheers
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My lady friend and I stayed at the Hacienda last night June 25th 2013 and it was a great stay. We used a Groupon that got us a room and $60 dining credit for about $126.00. It was a great deal.

When I called the hotel and spoke to "John" I was told there were no rooms available at the rate I put in for on the Groupon. But he offered us a free upgrade to a suite room. It was awesome.

We ate at the Restaurant that night and got the $29 per person deal that including an appetizer, main course, and dessert. Perfect since we had a $60 dinning credit. The food was very good. She had the Salmon which was very flaky, moist, and crunchy at the same time. I had the filet Mignon which was cooked perfectly and on a bed of green beans and mashed potatoes with strategically placed potato chips for decoration. The dessert was excellent, a strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and she had a chocolate cake variation. Too much food for us so we took the Desserts back to our room.

All in all a great experience! If you come in the Summer you will need lots of water. They have plenty of bottled water available. Our room did not have a Refrigerator so bring a cooler and get lots of ice. Also this is not your typical hotel so there are not a lot of electrical outlets in the rooms. Our room being a suite had plenty, but I noticed in general not as many as you would normally be used to. The Wireless internet works great, we had no problems with that.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is one of the best in Tucson and does an outstanding brunch. The pool and spa are open 24 hrs.

Room Tip: We got room 37 which is a very good room with lots of space, a great view, and a nice bed. The parki...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Kev, Thank you for taking advantage of our first Groupon offering and coming to stay with us this past week. John is our Front Office Manager, I am glad he was able to make an exception for you on the room so you could stay on your desired date.
My apologies that the fridge location was not readily evident, we do have fridges in all of our guest rooms which we stock bottles of water in, I do hope as mentioned that we were able to accomodate you with our water station and gift shop supply. Thank you for mentioning the electrical outlet issues, as an older facility it is hard to add any new eletric however we are working on some solutions such as mutli outlet lamps and other fixes. In the days of ipods and iphones, laptops etc we undertand the need for sufficient outlets.
We appreciate you also staying and dining with us in the Grill, fantastic to hear our early week $ 29 3 Course dinner did not disappoint, it has been quite a popular special so far this summer. Your descriptions are making me hungry, I wish it was Sund-Tuesday right now.
I hope you will return to stay with us anytime, we may do another Groupon next Summer but also our Summer rates are quite reasonable alone. Regards
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I recently held a retreat here and thoroughly enjoyed working with the staff. The setting - gorgeous. The food - nicely displayed and tasty. The casita grande - perfect for our needs. It was a pleasure staying and spending time on the property and fit our needs well.

Room Tip: The beds were a bit too firm for my liking.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Karen,

Thank you for bringing your group to the Hacienda recently, we appreciate the consideration and great to hear our location and amenities fit your groups needs.
My apologies our beds did not provide the comfort and sleep quality you enjoy. In the future I can see hotels moving towards sleep number beds to better accomodate the varying levels of firm and soft guests prefer.
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you and your guests, I hope everyone found the property and overall experience to have met the purpose of relaxing, reneweing and refocusing while here. I do hope we can host your retreat again next year. Regards
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

First the good: The grounds are beautiful, the view is fantastic, it is in a nice part of town, the bed is comfortable and the restaurant is excellent.

Now the not so good. The air conditioner ran every second we were there cycling between a low roar and the sound of a 747 taking off. Despite running constantly, the room was not very cool although we turned it down as low as it could go. In addition, there is no air conditioning or other ventilation in the bathroom unless you opened the window but since it was in the 90s and there was no curtain or shade in there, that wasn't really an option. Even though the air conditioner did not really cool the room, there was only a heavy comforter on the bed rather than some sort of lighter spread.

The bathroom was small and looked like the one in my parent's house from the 1950s. I saw from photos that they have posted around the hotel that the bathroom was the same as when the facility was a girls school in the 1930s and 1940s. In the bathroom the toilet took a really long time to stop running and didn't work that well to start with. And not to be nitpicking but instead of giving you a bar of soap they gave you orange body wash for the shower which disconcertingly looked and smelled like Goo-Gone.

So is this the second best hotel in Tucson? I would greatly doubt it. Perhaps we are more interested in comfort than historic charm but when you go to bed, after all, the real reason to be in a hotel, is to have a quiet room, a comfortable temperature, and a nice bathroom. You're not going to see the view or appreciate the history when you're trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear JRAMD, Thank you for visiting the Hacienda recently. I also appreciate the review you took time to write, we take both the good, bad and indifferent reviews the same and seriously. First off my apologies your room and stay did not meet the expectations set by reviews and your own standards.
Yes, many of our rooms do still have the wall mounted AC units which certainly are not very modern nor quiet as you mention. I am very sorry the noise level from the unit was disturbing to your quiet relaxation which many guests come here to find, I do hope that we were notified and made every effort to get you into a quieter room possibly with central air. Our bathrooms do have a fan switch to circulate the air, I am not sure if this wasnt noticable and again I hope if it was not working we were given a chance to fix for you.
In Tucson in summer we and guests expect the rooms to have adequate air conditioning. The fact your did not seem to cool the room is certainly not acceptable nor make for a comfortable stay. In my experience of inspecting rooms for check in our Historic rooms can get downright chilly but based on your review I will have our Maintenance staff check all of these rooms for any issues which may contributed to your circumstance. We do stock a lighter blanket in every room closet in case the comforter is much too heavy as mentioned
Moving to your comments on our bathrooms, you are absolutely correct the bathrooms are small and from the 1930's in the room category you booked. We do not hide this fact as we advertise the rooms as Historic and built in the early 1930's. There is absolutely no excuse on our part however that your toilet did not work properly and had an extra long run time. This is a basic expectation for guests and will be looked into. Not that this can fix your experience but we have been changing out many of our toilets to the more modern, water saving, quieter toilets.
The Hacienda does have more modernized room types and despite your expereience this trip I would like to invite you back to try out one of these which I feel you would find much more convenient, attractive and updated. Please contact me anytime at fdsupervisor@haciendadelsol.com If I can assist with a reservation ans complimentary upgrade to one of these rooms. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!