“nice property, old rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5501 N. Hacienda Del Sol Rd., Tucson, AZ 85718   |
Ranked #3 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Maryland
“nice property, old rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

First the good: The grounds are beautiful, the view is fantastic, it is in a nice part of town, the bed is comfortable and the restaurant is excellent.

Now the not so good. The air conditioner ran every second we were there cycling between a low roar and the sound of a 747 taking off. Despite running constantly, the room was not very cool although we turned it down as low as it could go. In addition, there is no air conditioning or other ventilation in the bathroom unless you opened the window but since it was in the 90s and there was no curtain or shade in there, that wasn't really an option. Even though the air conditioner did not really cool the room, there was only a heavy comforter on the bed rather than some sort of lighter spread.

The bathroom was small and looked like the one in my parent's house from the 1950s. I saw from photos that they have posted around the hotel that the bathroom was the same as when the facility was a girls school in the 1930s and 1940s. In the bathroom the toilet took a really long time to stop running and didn't work that well to start with. And not to be nitpicking but instead of giving you a bar of soap they gave you orange body wash for the shower which disconcertingly looked and smelled like Goo-Gone.

So is this the second best hotel in Tucson? I would greatly doubt it. Perhaps we are more interested in comfort than historic charm but when you go to bed, after all, the real reason to be in a hotel, is to have a quiet room, a comfortable temperature, and a nice bathroom. You're not going to see the view or appreciate the history when you're trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear JRAMD, Thank you for visiting the Hacienda recently. I also appreciate the review you took time to write, we take both the good, bad and indifferent reviews the same and seriously. First off my apologies your room and stay did not meet the expectations set by reviews and your own standards.
Yes, many of our rooms do still have the wall mounted AC units which certainly are not very modern nor quiet as you mention. I am very sorry the noise level from the unit was disturbing to your quiet relaxation which many guests come here to find, I do hope that we were notified and made every effort to get you into a quieter room possibly with central air. Our bathrooms do have a fan switch to circulate the air, I am not sure if this wasnt noticable and again I hope if it was not working we were given a chance to fix for you.
In Tucson in summer we and guests expect the rooms to have adequate air conditioning. The fact your did not seem to cool the room is certainly not acceptable nor make for a comfortable stay. In my experience of inspecting rooms for check in our Historic rooms can get downright chilly but based on your review I will have our Maintenance staff check all of these rooms for any issues which may contributed to your circumstance. We do stock a lighter blanket in every room closet in case the comforter is much too heavy as mentioned
Moving to your comments on our bathrooms, you are absolutely correct the bathrooms are small and from the 1930's in the room category you booked. We do not hide this fact as we advertise the rooms as Historic and built in the early 1930's. There is absolutely no excuse on our part however that your toilet did not work properly and had an extra long run time. This is a basic expectation for guests and will be looked into. Not that this can fix your experience but we have been changing out many of our toilets to the more modern, water saving, quieter toilets.
The Hacienda does have more modernized room types and despite your expereience this trip I would like to invite you back to try out one of these which I feel you would find much more convenient, attractive and updated. Please contact me anytime at fdsupervisor@haciendadelsol.com If I can assist with a reservation ans complimentary upgrade to one of these rooms. Regards

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel had been on my radar for quite a few years. Finally, I had an opportunity to travel to Tucson and stay at the lovely Hacienda Del Sol due to a friend's birthday celebration.

Finding it was a bit of a challenge for an out of towner but once there I was immediately swept away by the lovely view and gardens. The birthday was to be celebrated at the hotel's annual "Blues, BBQ & Zin" festival. Wow! Lots of wonderfully prepared food and a plethora of fabulous Zinfandel wines to sample. The music was the topper to a fun filled night. They even played and sang happy birthday to my friend.

The next day a fairly good size group met for breakfast (more wonderful food). The specialty, house made chorizo hash was favorite as were the light and fluffy pancakes. I had heard that the hotel had one of the best restaurants in Tucson and by now I was a believer.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying the unbelievable gardens. I didn't know there were so many varieties of cactus and that they could be so beautiful. However it was the overall layout of the gardens that made them so special.

We also, just relaxed on the small terrace of our room a deluxe casita overlooking a large arroyo golf course of the Westin La Paloma Resort. Two large Saguaro perched at the edge of our terrace wall playing host to many birds especially in the early morning.

The room itself was quite a nice size around 400 sq. ft. The mattress was comfortable with nice quality linens. The overall feel was comfortable southwest with dark heavy furniture and tile flooring. I loved that there was a small refrigerator for our drinks and a coffee maker with locally roasted coffee. The bathroom was an adequate size overall but the Talavera tiled shower was very large with good water pressure.

I am sorry we were only able to spend two nights and because of this we decided to stay in for dinner as we couldn't wait to see what the kitchen would prepare for dinner. We decided that everything looked so good on the appetizer menu that we tried everything offered. Each small plate was no less than excellent beautifully plated and delectable.

Overall, the Hacienda did not disappoint and I will look forward to staying there when I return to Tucson.

Room Tip: Casita with a terrace and view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for making the trip finally from the Beehive State to come enjoy the Hacienda. The wait sounds worth it from your delightful review which we appreciate. Happy Belated Birthday to your friend as well.

Thank you for attending our annual Zin Blues and BBQ, this is always a fun evening and I am glad you enjoyed the festivities, food, wine and fun. Wink wink we also do a Argentina and Pinot events during the year.

We are rated 4 Stars by AAA and the restaurant is rated in the top 30 out of approx 500 on TA, we appreciate you dining with us for for breakfast and dinner, you are in agreement with many others on both the hash and pancakes. The views in the west patio just add to the ambiance in the morning. If you have a moment the restaurant also appreciates guest feedback on their page.

I am pleased you found your accomodations in the Hacienda Room well appointed, stocked and amicable to our southwest landscapes. While being an "older" hotel we try to keep the rooms with all modern conveniences mentioned, the Arbuckle coffee is always a hit, great to keep it local as well.
We look forward to hosting you again when down in the Southwest Arizona, please contact me if I can assist with reservations hotel or restaurant wise. Regards
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This a lovely historic inn nestled in the Catalina Foothills. I just finished hosting a Yoga and Writing Retreat there and it could not have been a more perfect place to invite guests to retreat. The rooms were great, the food delicious, and the staff was professional and attentive. We have already renewed our contract for next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Susan, Thank you for bringing your Renew & Refocus Retreat to the Hacienda. It was a pleasure hosting your group, I hope eveyone had a fulfilling and relaxing time here. Everyone in your group was very pleasent and easy to work with throughout the conference I heard nothing but positives from your attendees at check out and in conversations. Nothing says a job well done than booking a group for the following year mere days after they left this year. We appreciate your consideration in bringing the retreat back here and I look forward along with Toby and the Sales Department to working with your group setting everything up for next year. Regards
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My long-term boyfriend and I came here during Memorial Weekend to attend my son's graduation. I lived in Tucson as a teen and in my early 20's and never had the pleasure of discovering this wonderful place. Thanks to Tripadvisor, we found this little gem and when/if I ever come back, this will be the place for us. Originally, this place was built in the 20's as an exclusive girl's school. We loved the history and personality that Hacienda Del Sol has. If you are going to stay in the foothills, it's worth skipping the large resorts and staying here. We booked one of their "haciendas". Our balcony opened up to the small canyon and we got a great view of the Catalinas. We enjoyed the birds, lizards, hawks, and other wild life from our large balcony every morning. Every evening we sat outside and enjoyed the city lights. If you do stay in a hacienda or casita, please make sure you tour the rest of the hotel. They have wonderful photos up and beautiful gardens to explore. The inside of our room was so fitting as well. They had beautiful tile floors and we also loved the tile work in the bathroom.

The staff at Hacienda were also really helpful. Since it's historical, they are not required to have an official ADA room. Since my BF was in a wheelchair, we were a little skeptical about staying here due to that. But, we thought that since it had so much personality, we would "make it work". However, the staff did everything to make it accessible for us. For that we are truly grateful. We had access to everything we needed and more. We loved the pool, and my son and I even played a game of horse shoes.

We will be back again!

Room Tip: Room 49 is worth every penny spent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Debra,
Congratulations to your son, thank you and your boyfriend for coming to stay with us recently from the Peoples Republic of Davis. We also appreciate your time taken to post a review to share your experience. To start from the bottom I am very excited to hear that you were not limited in any activities while here, despite not abiding by most of the ADA requirements we try to make the property as friendly as possible with pool access, door ramps, guest wheelchair etc.
We agree unless your here to golf, why not enjoy a more ecclectic, historical hotel with personality rather than a huge chain hotel where nobody knows your name or provides personal attention. I hope that sums up some of your very thoughtful insights. Sounds like you met some of our local "friends" and quite a variety as well, glad the less friendly ones werent around as snake season has begun.
I really appreciate your thought of guests touring the full hotel grounds no matter where staying. I myself have stayed in places and get comfy in one area or spot and never go explore what the entire place has to offer. We hope you can make it down here in the future, continued safe travels and good luck to your son post-college. Regards
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

What a beautiful place. I could not have been happier. Do yourself a huge favor and stay here
at least once in your lifetime. The rooms, the staff, the grounds, were magnificent. I cannot
imagine a better place to stay. I came to Tucson to find a place to live and I wish it could be here. I am so pleased that I checked trip advisor as the reviews were so spot on except for the fact that the Hacienda del Sol should be rated #1. Trust me and everyone else-stay here. You will not reqret it. Thank you to Carrie for being so very kind!! I will be living here soon and I will definately be visiting the wonderful Grill restaurant here at Hacienda del Sol.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Gracie, Thank you for coming to stay with us from the Conch Republic and soon welcome to living in our fair state. Not much is needed to be said after your headline, exceeding expectations is basically the standard we aim for and I am grateful to our staff and grounds for provding this to you. If house hunting gets to be a pain you are welcome to stay here as long as you like. We agree with your assesment that we should be # 1, just more motivation to continue our hard work and dedication every day to acheive this. Hope you have an easy move out West and please contact me anytime I can assist with your dining reservations or a staycation once your a Tucsonian. Regards
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My third visit & just as wonderful. Friendly & accommodating restaurant staff (even on a busy Sat. night!), beautiful, spacious room and peaceful grounds. The pool & all patio areas are so relaxing - fun to watch all the wildlife too! By the way, thank you for NOT having a water slide. It's so nice to enjoy a pool without water activities. A special thank you to our housekeeper, Jo, for taking excellent care of us & to Simon at the Front Desk for his gift shop assistance. FYI to other readers....the gift shop has an excellent selection of very unique jewelry at very reasonable prices.

You all think of everything. Thank you for a fantastic getaway!

Room Tip: I've stayed in three types of rooms & they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Treats, Thank you for deciding to return to the Hacienda for a third time, great to see we have earned your repeat business. I have alerted management to halt construction on the proposed water slide, kidding but I do agree and we are much more into having guests relax and enjoy peace then all kinds of bells/whistles/slides etc which ruin the natural views and invite more noise. Thank you for mentioning Jo and Simon by name, we always share these reviews with anyone mentioned, it reinforces their hard work and dedication to their craft. Robyn, our gift shop owner will be thrilled to hear your thoughts, she has worked hard in the last year to re-invent the shop with unique and local items with a great mix of low to high end merchandise. I would love to have you return for a 4th stay and maybe try yet another different room type as they are all unique. Regards
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Very nice property up in the foothills away from the city. Very nice landscaping and public patios.
Very nice and spacious deluxe room. Located in a very nice part of town. Our room a private patio with a nice view of the mountain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Mr. Haddad, thank you for taking a moment to share a review on your experience here at the Hacienda. I believe yours is the first review ive seen where the guest is still at the hotel when writing it. This would indicate to me either a really good or really bad experience and I am glad you fall into the first category. I am enjoying all of the wonderful pictures you have posted of our grounds, looks like you have been doing some exploring around the property. Great to hear you are enjoying your Hacienda Deluxe room, I hope you are getting time to enjoy the great sun from your patio. I hope you have a wonderful last day with us and please let us know if we can do anything to make the day better for you. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!