“Beautiful Oasis in the Foothills of Tucson” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% Off Plus Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Davis, California
“Beautiful Oasis in the Foothills of Tucson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My long-term boyfriend and I came here during Memorial Weekend to attend my son's graduation. I lived in Tucson as a teen and in my early 20's and never had the pleasure of discovering this wonderful place. Thanks to Tripadvisor, we found this little gem and when/if I ever come back, this will be the place for us. Originally, this place was built in the 20's as an exclusive girl's school. We loved the history and personality that Hacienda Del Sol has. If you are going to stay in the foothills, it's worth skipping the large resorts and staying here. We booked one of their "haciendas". Our balcony opened up to the small canyon and we got a great view of the Catalinas. We enjoyed the birds, lizards, hawks, and other wild life from our large balcony every morning. Every evening we sat outside and enjoyed the city lights. If you do stay in a hacienda or casita, please make sure you tour the rest of the hotel. They have wonderful photos up and beautiful gardens to explore. The inside of our room was so fitting as well. They had beautiful tile floors and we also loved the tile work in the bathroom.

The staff at Hacienda were also really helpful. Since it's historical, they are not required to have an official ADA room. Since my BF was in a wheelchair, we were a little skeptical about staying here due to that. But, we thought that since it had so much personality, we would "make it work". However, the staff did everything to make it accessible for us. For that we are truly grateful. We had access to everything we needed and more. We loved the pool, and my son and I even played a game of horse shoes.

We will be back again!

Room Tip: Room 49 is worth every penny spent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Debra,
Congratulations to your son, thank you and your boyfriend for coming to stay with us recently from the Peoples Republic of Davis. We also appreciate your time taken to post a review to share your experience. To start from the bottom I am very excited to hear that you were not limited in any activities while here, despite not abiding by most of the ADA requirements we try to make the property as friendly as possible with pool access, door ramps, guest wheelchair etc.
We agree unless your here to golf, why not enjoy a more ecclectic, historical hotel with personality rather than a huge chain hotel where nobody knows your name or provides personal attention. I hope that sums up some of your very thoughtful insights. Sounds like you met some of our local "friends" and quite a variety as well, glad the less friendly ones werent around as snake season has begun.
I really appreciate your thought of guests touring the full hotel grounds no matter where staying. I myself have stayed in places and get comfy in one area or spot and never go explore what the entire place has to offer. We hope you can make it down here in the future, continued safe travels and good luck to your son post-college. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

What a beautiful place. I could not have been happier. Do yourself a huge favor and stay here
at least once in your lifetime. The rooms, the staff, the grounds, were magnificent. I cannot
imagine a better place to stay. I came to Tucson to find a place to live and I wish it could be here. I am so pleased that I checked trip advisor as the reviews were so spot on except for the fact that the Hacienda del Sol should be rated #1. Trust me and everyone else-stay here. You will not reqret it. Thank you to Carrie for being so very kind!! I will be living here soon and I will definately be visiting the wonderful Grill restaurant here at Hacienda del Sol.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Gracie, Thank you for coming to stay with us from the Conch Republic and soon welcome to living in our fair state. Not much is needed to be said after your headline, exceeding expectations is basically the standard we aim for and I am grateful to our staff and grounds for provding this to you. If house hunting gets to be a pain you are welcome to stay here as long as you like. We agree with your assesment that we should be # 1, just more motivation to continue our hard work and dedication every day to acheive this. Hope you have an easy move out West and please contact me anytime I can assist with your dining reservations or a staycation once your a Tucsonian. Regards
AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My third visit & just as wonderful. Friendly & accommodating restaurant staff (even on a busy Sat. night!), beautiful, spacious room and peaceful grounds. The pool & all patio areas are so relaxing - fun to watch all the wildlife too! By the way, thank you for NOT having a water slide. It's so nice to enjoy a pool without water activities. A special thank you to our housekeeper, Jo, for taking excellent care of us & to Simon at the Front Desk for his gift shop assistance. FYI to other readers....the gift shop has an excellent selection of very unique jewelry at very reasonable prices.

You all think of everything. Thank you for a fantastic getaway!

Room Tip: I've stayed in three types of rooms & they are all wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Treats, Thank you for deciding to return to the Hacienda for a third time, great to see we have earned your repeat business. I have alerted management to halt construction on the proposed water slide, kidding but I do agree and we are much more into having guests relax and enjoy peace then all kinds of bells/whistles/slides etc which ruin the natural views and invite more noise. Thank you for mentioning Jo and Simon by name, we always share these reviews with anyone mentioned, it reinforces their hard work and dedication to their craft. Robyn, our gift shop owner will be thrilled to hear your thoughts, she has worked hard in the last year to re-invent the shop with unique and local items with a great mix of low to high end merchandise. I would love to have you return for a 4th stay and maybe try yet another different room type as they are all unique. Regards
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Very nice property up in the foothills away from the city. Very nice landscaping and public patios.
Very nice and spacious deluxe room. Located in a very nice part of town. Our room a private patio with a nice view of the mountain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Mr. Haddad, thank you for taking a moment to share a review on your experience here at the Hacienda. I believe yours is the first review ive seen where the guest is still at the hotel when writing it. This would indicate to me either a really good or really bad experience and I am glad you fall into the first category. I am enjoying all of the wonderful pictures you have posted of our grounds, looks like you have been doing some exploring around the property. Great to hear you are enjoying your Hacienda Deluxe room, I hope you are getting time to enjoy the great sun from your patio. I hope you have a wonderful last day with us and please let us know if we can do anything to make the day better for you. Regards
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just returned from a three night stay at the Hacienda Del Sol Resort in Tucson. Attended our nephew's graduation from the U. of A. Enjoyed our own private casita with fabulous mountain and sunset views from our expansive balcony. Interior was extremely spacious..kitchen, bedroom, bath, living/dining room..all decorated in a tasteful southwestern theme. Casita also was attached to your own carport. Grounds of the resort are meticulously maintained, pristine, and beautiful. Staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and genuinely courteous. This resort is a definite must and sits at the top of the list for amenities,accommodations, scenery, and a staff who treats you like you're the most important guest on the grounds. Will definitely return in the near future!

Room Tip: Casita 49 has the best mountain and sunset views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Conragtulations on your nephew's graduation, thank you for choosing to stay with us for the celebration. I am grateful that our 1 bedroom Casita provided enough space, comfort and views. We recently did some upgrading of the interior doors, painting and have a new couch in the living room, it sounds like these are well recieved from your review. The convenience of haing your own carport is really handy and with the extra space down there helps when you have guests come by and can park right at the house. Again I will absolutely pass along your kind words to our Landscape crew, they work tirelessly to maintain and improve the natural gifs we had to begin with. It can be cliche but as you mention every guest should be treated like they are the only and most important guest here every stay. I hope you can return in the future and as a heads up we also have a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom Casita if you are coming for a group or family type event again. Regards
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our family stayed at the Resort for three nights checking out on Easter Sunday after their delicious Sunday Brunch.

We stayed in the Tracey Spencer Grand Casita and it turned out to be a great choice traveling with our two children, ages 12 and 14. The children had their separate very large bedroom with two queen beds and en suite bathroom. Around the corner from them but within the casita we had our own large bedroom with king sized bed and en suite bathroom.

The Casita also included a kitchen/dining area, a well appointed living room area with access to its own private outside patio with cactus gardens, good birding and magnificent mountain views all around. These common areas in the casita were very tastefully decorated and there were walls of large picture windows that allowed the splendor of outside to come in.

We ate breakfast at the resort restaurant. The breakfast was delicious, service was very good, the ambiance beautiful and the views from the picture windows breathtaking. I hope to go back!

During the course of our time there, I came into contact with two concierges and found them to be knowledgeable about the area and very pleasant to interact with.

Room Tip: The Tracey Spencer Grand Casita has plenty of space for a family.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your long trek from the North Atlantic to come see us here at the Hacienda, I believe you are our first guest from Bermuda that I can recall.
Great to see that our Grande Casita, the most cherished and Historic building on the grounds provided plenty of space and comfort for your family. The split bedrooms, each with own bathroom provide great privacy especially as you know for kids who dont like to be around the parents 24/7 on vacation and vice versa for parents who need some down and alone time. Thank you for mention of the tasteful decoration in the common areas, we somewhat recently updated the living room with new furnishings and decorations, glad to hear guests liking what we have done.
I will of course pass along your thoughts on our breakfast service to Grill management , they also have a Trip Advisor page and appreciate reviews on their behalf. We moved breakfast into the West Patio where you dined about a year ago, mainly so guests can wake up and enjoye those views to start the day.
Being a small property we have to multitask and I am happy to see our staff handled all concierge type duties knowledgeably and with great service.
Safe travels back "across" the pond and we hope to see you on your next cross Atlantic journey. Regards
BOSTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Hacienda del Sol Guest Resort feels like you have gone back in time to the early days of Tucson. It is elegant with a rich history. This small resort used to be a girls school and there are early photos of this time. Today it is a beautiful property filled with many flowering gardens and quiet places to sit, a pool, gorgeous large rooms and suites with tile floors and tasteful southwestern decor. Our two very spacious rooms each had an outdoor private patio with table and chairs and nice views. The bathrooms were updated and large. The front desk is always ready to help. The restaurants consist of one elegant indoor restaurant and one casual outdoor patio with some additional seats inside. The food was delicious and the champagne brunch is out of this world! The gift shop has some great authentic items. The location is in a beautiful section of Tucson. We will recommend this lovely intimate resort in Tucson to all who visit.

Room Tip: We loved the Suite #40 and the adjacent large room #39.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nancy, thank you for making the trip from Bean/Title Town to come stay with us recently. I am so glad our connecting rooms 39 and 40 provided enough space and comfort for your group to enjoy. It is nice having your own private building and the connecting patios make it great for entertaining between the rooms as mentioned. We appreciate your group taking the time to dine in our restaurants and I hope you enjoyed the # 1 rated brunch in Tucson. I will also pass along your thoughts on our gift shop to Robyn who does all the purchasing and always enjoyes knowing that people are liking the mix of items we carry, she has tried to keep alot of items local and as you mention not your typical hotel gift shop fare. I appreciate your recommendation to fellow travelers and I hope we can host your group again in the future. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!