“Super Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Super Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our family stayed at the Resort for three nights checking out on Easter Sunday after their delicious Sunday Brunch.

We stayed in the Tracey Spencer Grand Casita and it turned out to be a great choice traveling with our two children, ages 12 and 14. The children had their separate very large bedroom with two queen beds and en suite bathroom. Around the corner from them but within the casita we had our own large bedroom with king sized bed and en suite bathroom.

The Casita also included a kitchen/dining area, a well appointed living room area with access to its own private outside patio with cactus gardens, good birding and magnificent mountain views all around. These common areas in the casita were very tastefully decorated and there were walls of large picture windows that allowed the splendor of outside to come in.

We ate breakfast at the resort restaurant. The breakfast was delicious, service was very good, the ambiance beautiful and the views from the picture windows breathtaking. I hope to go back!

During the course of our time there, I came into contact with two concierges and found them to be knowledgeable about the area and very pleasant to interact with.

Room Tip: The Tracey Spencer Grand Casita has plenty of space for a family.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your long trek from the North Atlantic to come see us here at the Hacienda, I believe you are our first guest from Bermuda that I can recall.
Great to see that our Grande Casita, the most cherished and Historic building on the grounds provided plenty of space and comfort for your family. The split bedrooms, each with own bathroom provide great privacy especially as you know for kids who dont like to be around the parents 24/7 on vacation and vice versa for parents who need some down and alone time. Thank you for mention of the tasteful decoration in the common areas, we somewhat recently updated the living room with new furnishings and decorations, glad to hear guests liking what we have done.
I will of course pass along your thoughts on our breakfast service to Grill management , they also have a Trip Advisor page and appreciate reviews on their behalf. We moved breakfast into the West Patio where you dined about a year ago, mainly so guests can wake up and enjoye those views to start the day.
Being a small property we have to multitask and I am happy to see our staff handled all concierge type duties knowledgeably and with great service.
Safe travels back "across" the pond and we hope to see you on your next cross Atlantic journey. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Hacienda del Sol Guest Resort feels like you have gone back in time to the early days of Tucson. It is elegant with a rich history. This small resort used to be a girls school and there are early photos of this time. Today it is a beautiful property filled with many flowering gardens and quiet places to sit, a pool, gorgeous large rooms and suites with tile floors and tasteful southwestern decor. Our two very spacious rooms each had an outdoor private patio with table and chairs and nice views. The bathrooms were updated and large. The front desk is always ready to help. The restaurants consist of one elegant indoor restaurant and one casual outdoor patio with some additional seats inside. The food was delicious and the champagne brunch is out of this world! The gift shop has some great authentic items. The location is in a beautiful section of Tucson. We will recommend this lovely intimate resort in Tucson to all who visit.

Room Tip: We loved the Suite #40 and the adjacent large room #39.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nancy, thank you for making the trip from Bean/Title Town to come stay with us recently. I am so glad our connecting rooms 39 and 40 provided enough space and comfort for your group to enjoy. It is nice having your own private building and the connecting patios make it great for entertaining between the rooms as mentioned. We appreciate your group taking the time to dine in our restaurants and I hope you enjoyed the # 1 rated brunch in Tucson. I will also pass along your thoughts on our gift shop to Robyn who does all the purchasing and always enjoyes knowing that people are liking the mix of items we carry, she has tried to keep alot of items local and as you mention not your typical hotel gift shop fare. I appreciate your recommendation to fellow travelers and I hope we can host your group again in the future. Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I cannot say anything BUT positive about this hotel. It is a former " girls finishing school" in the 30's and now a romantic, quiet inn. If you want a large , bustling hotel environment -- this is not the place. The restaurants are super and there was bands both nights. The things I would point out: the flower pots and planting are breathtaking, The courtyards and the central plaza are soooooo peaceful, the rooms are clean and functional with smallish bathrooms ( as you would expect in a former dorm , overlooking the golf course of the La Paloma course ( Westin). Quiet prevails and it is very romantic. The best part is the service. Everyone bends over backwards to please the guests.A case in point, one afternoon while on my way to the pool,an employee opened the door and banged me ever so slightly-- the noisr was so much more than the bump. She apologized and I said I was fine but 10 minutes later she tracked me down with an ice pack that I really did not nee. She then brought us a couple of cold beers to " ease the pain" ( which was very minimal. All the help were this way. The managers of this place have done a great job and instill a friendly atmosphere. We were on our anniversary and will return again I assure you. It was worth the expense.

Room Tip: We had the smallest Hacienda room with king and it was good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Anniversary. Thank you for joining us for your special occasion. We appreciate you enjoying our restaurant, we do have live music from 7-10 pm on the Weekends of varying sounds. I will pass along your kind words regarding our grounds to our dedicated Groundskeepers who take great pride in maintaining the beauty around. I am glad you were able to enjoy and mention many of the qualities we value for guests like peacefulness, quiet, romantic { # 2 on TA } and especially service.
My apologies for any scare and/or pain caused by our front door. Sometimes we need a traffic cop out there as it is right next to our water station. Thank you for pointing out the above and beyond measures our staff member took to try and rectify the situation. We are of the mindset that wed rather do "too much" than leave a guest feeling inadequately cared for when incidences occur
Please contact me for your anniversary plans next year, we look forward to hopefully hosting you and your wife again. Regards
Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was my second time I have stayed here. It was clean and comfortable both times I stayed here. The staff is great and very helpful. Also the restaurant is great as well! I planned a mother daughter trip and decided to revisit this hotel for our three nights in Tucson. Both my mother and I were happy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Welcome back to the Hacienda all the way from the Bay State, thank you for choosing to come stay with us again. I hope this visit equaled or exceeded your first time with us. Thank you for stopping in to dine at our restaurant, great to hear your experience with them was on par with the hotel side, one without the other makes for half a great stay. I hope we get to have you back a third time in the future and please contact me anytime if I can assist with reservations. Regards
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We love to stay in historic hotels and this one is outstanding. The displays in the hallways give the history of this girl's finishing school turned guest ranch turned outstanding hotel and restaurant of today. The rooms are carefully maintained and kept to have the feeling of the original rooms. We were in the historic rooms and they are medium to small in size with dark red floors (paint over adobe or cement etc -- not sure but probably from earlier times) and clean new painted walls. The bathroom is a little dated but the dated sent my imagination flying as I thought of the girls who would have been primping in that earlier time and getting ready for the day as I got ready for the day. Nice soaps/lotions and fluffy towels. Bed was very comfortable and the AC was divine as it was hot for this Maryland girl. The grounds are just great -- beautiful landscaping that is desert appropriate and very well done. The courtyards are especially pretty. What a place for a wedding!! One night we carried sandwiches and drinks to the patio surrounding the lovely big pool and had one of the most special evenings watching the sunset over the beautiful golf course and city of Tucson. This is a special place to stay. Different from the chains and luxury resorts but wonderful in its own special history.
I will review The Grill on it's own. Our package from I Prefer brand of hotels gave us a lovely breakfast each day and the food was excellent and the view even better. Be sure to check out the gift shop for wonderful (and often expensive) items that are well chosen and unique.

Room Tip: Historic rooms are smaller and probably noisier (hallways can echo) but good value to be on property...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our Historic hotel to stay at, I love your first few lines, they really illustrate our commitment to maintaining our historic qualities while allowing for some modern comforts and blending the two. Our Historic rooms date to the 1930's when 2 girls shared each room, eventually the middle wall was brought down to expand into the current hotel room.
Great to hear your ac kept up with the somewhat abnormally hot temperatures recently, a cool 96 today, a few of our housekeepers are from Maryland and attest to the heat everyday. I really enjoyed your "desert appropriate" comment, we simply try and blend the natural gifts that were here with some more modern sculpture and touches in.
Thank you also for being I-Prefer members, we appreciate the loyal business to our brand and I hope we had your member number and you received your welcome gift on arrival. I may have to steal one of your lines for future marketing, "different but wonderful" quite sums us up nicely. I look forward to reading your restaurant review and please come see us again next time in the west. Regards
Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We drove 80 miles from our home just to stay here for one night. An absolutely beautiful historic hotel dating back to 1929. Walls decorated with old photos of dude ranch times. Rooms are all well appointed and comfortable--and all are different. We had lunch, dinner, and then breakfast, all of which were delicious and well presented. The view from the dining room is stunning. Our host, John, led us on a walk of the grounds and talked about the various flora and fauna--very interesting. The staff were all extremely courteous and helpful. We're going back!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dennis, we really appreciate the long trek to stop in and see us for a night. I love your line that our rooms are all different, we take pride in not being too cookie cutter and having guests experience subtle unique touches in each room. Thank you for taking the time to dine with us for all 3 meals, I am glad you enjoyed them all and the restaurants appreciate your patrionage. Great that you took the nature walk with John, Im always hearing guests learn interesting tidbits on our landscape and having a relaxing fun time doing it. Look forward to having you return anytime, let us know what room you had this stay and we can have you try a different one. Regards
Sandgate, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The staff was great. The physical plant is in need of repair and upgrading. There weren't enough chairs by the swimming pool, and when my wife asked for a chair she was told that they were "on order." The traffic noise from our terrace outside out suite was very loud. When you pay as much as Hacienda Del Sol charges, you expect a lot more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your coming to visit all the way from the Green Mountain State. Thank you also for sharing a review on your experiences here. My apologies we did not meet your expectations and that you did not feel value was received for the price you paid. There is no excuse for us not to have proper levels of furniture by the pool, especially moving into the warm season. It is a shame we did not get our new loungers in time for you to enjoy full relaxation down at the pool. I know it does not mitigate your experience but your review was what prompted us to restock our pool furniture, these reviews and comment cards are listened to and taken to heart. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!