“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights, great food, great location, great room, great staff, great views, this place has everything, we did not try the pool but it looked great too. The only issue we had was the Ac/ heater was very noisy, lucky for us the weather was ok so we managed to get away with turning it off.

Stayed March 2013
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for coming across the Pond to visit here at the Hacienda. Thank you also for a lovely review on our behalf.
Great to hear you missed our terribly chilly weather the last few weeks and made it for some of the sun we are more used too.
My apologies our AC unit was excessively noisy, I hope this did not affect your slumber or enjoyment too heavily. We understand these units are not in line with more modern central air and we will be working on better systems moving forward. Thank you for pointing this out, these reviews are what motivates us to keep improving
Safe travels back to the UK and hope to see you next winter holiday. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

For someone with a focus on history this is a nice place to visit and possibly stay for a nights. The main facility is an old girls boarding school facility. The rooms vary from very small and very basic in the courtyard to nice modern casita rooms detached from the main facility.

The restaurants were both very good, great service and above average food. While the selection was limited the presentation and taste was good.

The staff was exceptional, eclectic but all very good at what they did...they really do seem to care.

Room Tip: Do not get a courtyard room...tiny and basic with the smallest bathroom you could imagine. The casi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a recent stay at the historic Hacienda Del Sol. We like to stay at places with history and this iconic Tuscon landmark fit the bill nicely. Our room, number 1, was large with a stunning view of the city of Tuscon, with great nightly sunsets.

We did not have breakfast, but did enjoy a wonderful dinner at the Grill. Food was very good and service was outstanding.

The grounds have been meticulously maintained, and we really enjoyed the fireplaces both inside and outside the resort.

Our only concern was that for some reason, our room was never cleaned before 5 pm. Perhaps just a fluke or maybe some staffing issue on the 3 days we were there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for visiting us from the Frozen Tundra, I hope our unseasonablly cold weather did not detract from your Arizona trip. Room # 1 is a favorite here due to the location and fantastic unobstructed views I am glad you also enjoyed what the room offers.
On your next visit I suggest trying the Buffalo Benedict or Apple Pancakes for breakfast. The Grill provides more great views in the morning as well. Thank you for taking the time to frequent the Grill for dinner, I will pass along your kind thoughts.
My apologies for the delay in your Housekeeping service, we typically service rooms up to 4:30 pm. We always try to have our stayover guests rooms serviced as early as possible so they can relax unbothered after long days of sightseeing etc. I am not sure what caused the delays for your room however I have alerted our Housekeeping Manager in case any steps need to be taken.
Please contact me directly if you are thinking of coming to stay with us again so that I can persoanlly attend to reservations and make sure we are on top of the ball in every aspect next time. Regards
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you miss this property on your stay in Tucson, you have missed a lot. History is incredible, accomidations great, fireplace in lobby very welcoming, library to spend an afternoon, early happy hour, wonderful food (best in town) this is to die for! We had probably one of the best breakfasts ever in the Grill, try the Buffalo Benedict. Words are not enough to praise this resort, just go.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for coming to stay with us from the Mile High State, my apologies our weather was more like yours during this time although not everyday you can say you saw an inch or two of snow in Tucson. I enjoyed the very concise and complimentary tone of your review which I appreciate taking the effort to write, you might have a future writing press copy for us. Great you were able to take advantage of some of our more unique features of the library and lobby fire, I like to call this area the "living room" with its homey feel. Another recommendation for the buffalo benedict, this has to be the most loved new dish of our now 2 year old revamped breakfast. I hope we are lucky enough to have you come stay in the future next time you are further out west. Regards
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We decided to come down to Tucson from Santa Fe to celebrate our third anniversary. I chose Hacienda del Sol based on the raving reviews on TripAdvisor.
The positive aspects include beautiful views all around, and a relatively peaceful setting. It was also very clean. However, our home in Santa Fe also has these things, without a $282/night cost. The staff that we interacted with was generally very friendly.
For us, the rustic "charm" of the place didn't impress, as we are surrounded by this stuff (and it's more authentic) in Santa Fe. Our room (41 -- a Hacienda King room) was well away from the main Hacienda, and our "Patio" was nothing more than part of the walking path right next to a large parking lot. Where there should have been a patio at the back, there was none. We were also right next to the driveway to the whole place, so cars were constantly going by. Furthermore, it is OLD. The bathroom is old. Also, in the closet of our room, there was some kind of device that made odd whirring sounds, and at one point during the night it started screeching and woke me up. On our last day there, we wanted to enjoy the pool/hot tub area, and there was some kind of kids' party going on. It certainly wasn't the peaceful and romantic setting I was hoping for. On top of all of that, we found Tucson very boring and had horrible restaurant service everywhere we went. I think it would be better for an older crowd.
It was a lengthy drive to go pretty much anywhere around Tucson as well.
In short, if you're from the Midwest and are starving for views and southwest style in a nice climate, it's a perfect place. Otherwise, save your money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Congratulations on your recent anniversary. Thank you for detailing your stay with the community, I appreciate the constructive criticism which only helps us grow and move forward.
My apologies we did not meet the expectations held for such a special occasion. We are definately not Santa Fe strive to be unique from everywhere else, however, some of the issues you came across were hotel and not city related. These areas we could have done better to enhance the quality of your experience
Id like to address your concerns. There is no mitigating the noise concerns at the pool during your last night here, we did book a birthday party at the pool. Our hope is everyone can coexist and have a good time but I most certainly understand your frustration in not having a relaxing time. I have already addressed these concerns with our Sales staff based on your review.
My apologies the patio on your room was not satisfactory. Hacienda King rooms are not standard with patios which is why we do not advertise them. I am sorry if we did misrepresent the patio set up to you. I am not sure as to what the device is in the closet but I have alerted Maintenance in case this needs to be fixed or adjusted. I hate to hear this affected your sleep
Nothing can excuse the issues you encountered however I do hope our staff made every effort to find acceptable solutions or compensation for your inconveniences. If you ever decide to give Tucson another try please contact me directly I would love to have you stay in another room category with full patio and seclusion. Regards
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a gorgeous historical property that has not been left to go to seed. We stayed in Room 19, which was the room for the teachers at this former boarding school for girls (circa 1930s I think) and it was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. A 2-room suite with bed and bath in one large room and a sitting room. Both had flat screen TVs, there was a mini fridge too. A lovely patio with table and chairs and a chiminea which the supervising housekeeper ensured had a log at the ready. Room 19 is an end room and was very quiet, no noise at all sleep or morning hours. Ice machine right next door. We had the 7-course dinner at The Grill, amazing food presented very nicely. Gorgeous views of twinkling Tucson below, get a window seat to get ful advantage. Lovely lighthing and decor, romantic. Accommodating and service oriented staff in every position. Liked it so much we had breakfast there the next morning and it was possibly better than the dinner, my husband had the buffalo eggs benedict, he loved it; I had buttermilk pancakes with carmelized apples and the best crispy bacon. Same fantastic view. The gift shop had great things to choose from, a very wide variety from gifts for the kids to adults. Bought some unique notecards which were taken from paintings by the talented staff member at the front desk, Richard Dennis.

A lovely, lovely time worth every cent. We were so well taken care of by the wonderful staff. The grounds are so very very pretty whether day or night. Can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: This is a former girls' boarding school and we had a suite which was the teachers' room. Roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for coming to share your anniversary with us. Thank you for such a detailed and enthusiastic review. Room 19 was the Headmistress Suite from 1929 to approx 1944 and now serves as our wedding/honeymoon suite. I am happy you found the suite to be comfortable and well appointed
Interestingly enough the hotel was about to be torn down in 1995 when the current owners rescued and began rehabbing the entire grounds.
We appreciate you patronizing the Grill, glad to hear you enjoyed the scenery and ambiance on the West Patio, great tip for fellow travelers to request this. From our reviews and comments you picked the 2 most popular items on the breakfast menu, good to see they held up their reputation. I will pass along your thoughts to our F & B team.
One of our Owners Robyn has transformed the gift shop over the past few years to have as you say a great variety of items including more local artisans and alot more unique gift ideas, I am sure she will appreciate your kind words.
We hope to see you again in the future, please contact me if I can assist with any planning. Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fun historic inn. Pictures throughout tell its history as a girls school. Great location to all activities yet you don't feel you are in the city because of its wonderful desert landscape. We stayed in a suite, one of 3 in its building. Very quiet. All the amenities you want. Great view of the mountains. Friendly staff at all levels. Ate in the bar- great food and drinks, then a softly lit walk back to our room. Morning coffee in our room is a tucson coffee Arbuckles, nice rich. The room still smelled of our evening fire in our bedroom fireplace causing us to linger longer. A must place to stay in tucson

• Stayed February 2013
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for coming to stay with us last week. Thank you also for sharing your experience with the travel community.
Sounds like you had suite # 4, great to hear the accomodations met your needs for comfort, peacefulness and scenery.
We try and keep as much local as possible with our vendors, Arbuckles coffee is a definately a hit with guests. For some Hacienda at home we also ship pre-packaged bags of beans or grounds from them if you are interested.
Kind rare to have hotels with real wood burning fireplaces these days, we find the atmosphere and ambience they create for our guests is worth the effort in cost and effort.
I hope you can make it back to see us, love to have you try another of our unique suites next time. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!