“Desert Jewel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 127 hotels in Tucson
El Paso, Texas
“Desert Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you're ever in the Tucson area, this is a "must stay" motel. Actually, the term motel doesn't fit all that well. This is an authentic hacienda that has been converted into a motel. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with native flora. Outside you'll likely encounter a number of semi-tame lizards, along with an occasional roadrunner. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated in rustic southwestern style. The staff is very professional and responsive. If you're there on a weekend, do not miss the Sunday brunch. It's expensive, but worth every dime, The selection is extensive and the quality of the food is superb.

Enthusiastically recommended.

Room Tip: Book well in advance, as this is a popular destination.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hacienda Dave. Thank you also for taking a moment to expound on your experiences here.
Motel can sometimes be thought of as a negative today however we were built in 1929 and the phrase coined in 1925, historically it fits and we definately straddle many types of properties
We are kind of like a mini Southwest animal park here on property, I have not had the fortune of seeing a roadrunner yet though. I hope the lizards were on their behavoir near you.
The Grill does appreciate your praise and recommendation of Sunday Brunch. Great room tip especially for the weekends. We also offer advance purchase rates which reward early guaranteed bookings with up to 30% off.
Next time you are in Arizona please come and see us again, please contact me if I can help with reservations. Regards

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Cottonwood, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This lovely 'old' place is in a residential neighborhood up and away from the fray. Lovely gardens and patios with casually elegant accommodations and staff more than happy to set an evening meal for us in one of the beautifully landscaped patios. We will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for making the trek So. Arizona to come stay with us. I appreciate the time and effort spent sharing your thoughts on your time here. Being built in 1929 age wise we are definately old while trying to stay up to date with current modern comforts. I enjoyed your "casually elegant" phrasing, sort of an oxymoron but it definately suits us well. We definately try to keep a more relaxed atmosphere here while maintaining high levels of service and professionalism. We look forward to having you back in the future please contact me if I can assist with a reservation. Regards
Bermuda Dunes, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed on a "four nights for the cost of three" offer January 6 - 10, 2013. As accompanied by a dog that likes to bark, the casitas (we were in # 48) were perfect for us as private & with plenty of separation from other hotel rooms. Ours was very spacious & nicely appointed, with a long covered porch/patio overlooking the city lights to the south, the canyon & setting sun to the west, & the Santa Catalina mountains to the north. It was cool at night, so we especially liked the stocked fireplace. Liked the peacefulness & privacy. The casita was sufficiently large, we could have lived in it! We felt the price charged was an excellent value. There are several different types of rooms & prices, but we saw no others to compare.

The hotel is historic and stunningly charming. The extensive grounds are immaculately maintained desert lanscaping, along with flowers & citrus. We really enjoyed exploring. The historic courtyard is simply lovely. We liked the variety of small areas to sit & have a drink or a chat. We very much liked the location of the hotel, up in the foothills with expansive views, & far from the traffic-filled bustle of much of Tucson.

We found the food of a high standard, both in The Grill & using room service. The peppery chocolate truffles after dinner at The Grill are not to be missed!

Very helpful & warm staff throughout. Our concierge/receptionist was informative & professional; it seemed as though she was working all the time! Highly recommend a sports massage from Kai, & so much enjoyed a one-on-one trail ride on Rooster, with Shane (on Sugar) as our wonderful patient & informative guide. So cool to have the stables on the property.

Overall, the hotel doesn't have quite the five star gloss of a Four Seasons, but it has a throwback sense of history & quaintness & originality that means far more to us. We really, really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Phone the hotel & discuss room types & amenities to find the best match for you! Think the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Miss Thompson, thank you for coming to stay with us for 4 nights from the Low Desert. Thank you also for a wonderfully detailed review.
There is no place like home, thankfully your Casita made you and your dog { no barking complaints were lodged } feel welcome and comfortable while away. Having the creature comforts of space, private parking and working fireplace help give less a hotel and more a home feel. In todays economy value is at a premium, good to hear we have kept our rates competitive and provide or exceed expectations.
Thank you for taking the time to use all of our outlets on property. I am thrilled our Stables are taking guests on great adventures of the Southwest landscapes, we switched companies a year ago and it is paying off well. As typing I just ran into Kai and have passed along your thoughts.
We definately are not a glossy property, we prefer to put the gloss in the paint and the shine on our service. I appreciate your interest in our unique history rather than having 10 pools and butler service. Hope to see you in the future. Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

#1 in service and ambiance. If you stay one night you will want to extend to 3 or 4 additional. This was originally a girls school in 1928 and provides the comfortable elegance of years past. The restaurant and bar best ever, ask to see if Chef's table is available , to see all of the kitchen action while you dine. The wine list is worldly and extensive, but also very reasonable priced wines along with the super greats! The staff knows their wines, chef knows their food /presentation and the servers are polite and cater to your needs all as you enjoy the desert surroundings....... Your blood pressure will drop by 20 points as you strole into the restaurant or bar.
The rooms are all different size and shape which is part of the old atmosphere all settled in the foothills of Tucson, but only 5 minutes away from elegent shopping, restaurants, and La Paloma jack Nicholas golf course. Like I have written above, you will want to stay a week, "locally owned and loved".

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Mike, thank you for coming to stay and dine with us recently. I hope your business meeting went fantastic and your guests enjoyed themselves. Also thank you for sharing your first review about your experiences here.
I appreciate your personal # 1 ranking for us, hopefully your kind review will help bring us back to the official # 1 spot in Tucson.
Kudos to our restaurant staff, it is quite amazing when each part of the team adds its own unique touches to make a complete impression on guests. I will share your thoughts with our Management team.
I love your last comment, sums up our owners committment to keeping our place a special oasis in the desert for the last almost 20 years.
I hope we have earned and will see you in the future for work and leisure visits, please contact me if I can assist with room or chef's table reservations anytime. Regards
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a filmaker. Myself and crew of 2 stayed in the Tracy - Hepburn Casita Grande for a couple of nights. By day the room doubled as an interview set for a documentary I am currently working on. When shooting interviews ambient noise is concern. Planes, cars, children, and loud neighbors are the enemy! Not so at the Hacienda Del Sol. Just peaceful silence. So peaceful that a bobcat felt comfortable enough to stroll right past the rear window. Awesome sight.

My interviewee (who also needed to stay overnight) came with an unexpected guest. The staff effortlessly upgraded the room for a VERY small fee to accommodate the extra guest.

Fantastic service from John, Richard, and Jennifer who very kindly dealt with my ever changing schedule as if it was a normal everyday request.

I have more interviews to shoot- guess where I'm going?
My wife and I often travel to Tucson on photo trips- guess where we are going to stay?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Congratulations and good luck with your new film. Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your shoot I am glad we were able to provide a quiet location in which to be creative and productive. Our resident bobcat likes to have his run of the place, typically he hangs out near the pool area, perhaps he is now looking to be a celebrity movie star as well. We try and be as flexible as possible here, I am grateful our staff came through to provide the accomodations necessary with terms agreeable to your party. Guests needs and schedules are constantly changing, one of our main focuses is to be able to adapt on the fly to provide the best and most convenient service for our clients. Continued good luck with the shoot and hopefully we can help facilitate future endeavors for you. Regards
Eugene OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in January. It was the perfect place for our party of two couples.We rented the large casita, and it was very comfortable and spacious. We enjoyed the happy hour food and drinks, the hot tub and the grounds. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The resort has a great location in this sprawling city, close to the mountains with great views.

Room Tip: Room 38, the grand casita is perfect for two couples or a small family. The bedrooms are spacious wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for coming stay with us from the Pacific Northwest, I hope the unseasonably cold weather didnt damper your time here. I am glad our Grand Casita provided the comfort and space needed between your two couples. Besides the great history of the Casita, we find the room a versitile option for use as an event hospitality suite, weddings and lately alot of family reunions. We cant take all the credit but our owners picked quite a location back in 1995, a beautiful oasis in the Tucson sprawl, tucked in a relatively unknown area yet still very close to all the wonder the city has to offer. Hopefully we will see you and your friends again next winter.
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Our experience was nothing short of excellent in every way. My wife and I left our wedding reception for a night at Hacienda del Sol and were greeted by pleasant staff, an unexpected upgrade to a suite and a chilled bottle of champagne! We sat down to a fire to read our guest book, eat more cake and enjoy the remaining evening in a beautiful setting. The next morning we woke to a view that was nothing short of gorgeous. Warm rays of sunshine falling through the window on to the luxurious bed made it hard to leave. We felt at home. I can't say enough about the fine craftsmanship of the interior of our room or the excellent food at the famous grill! Enjoy your stay if you decide to book a room. I hope you do.

Room Tip: Best tip I could ever give is simple common sense. Be nice and you'll be treated nicely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianBattaglia, Front Office Manager at Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Congratulations on your recent wedding, I wish you a happy future together. Thank you for sharing part of your celebration with us. Your special night deserves to be as wonderful as possible, kudos to our staff for recognizing this and handling an upgrade and champagne. Sounds like you had one of our favorite suites # 4, this is in our recently remodeled section and the fine craftmanship you mention comes from high quality pieces brought in from Argentina. I hope we see you again on your 1 year anniversary, contact me anytime if I can assist with any arrangements. Regards

Been to Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!