“Great room & staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
San Francisco, California
“Great room & staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

We were in Tucson for my brothers wedding and booked the double tree at the last minute through priceline.

The pros:
1. The staff was fantastic and attentive.
2. The room was very nice, nice plasma tv, nice bedding.
3. The hotel room service was FANTASTIC and reasonably priced.
4. The hotel restaurant was very nice - I HIGHLY recommend the Sunday brunch - we took my brother and his new family there to celebrate the day after their wedding, it was a huge hit with every one - even the kids! It was definitely a 5 star brunch! Crab legs included and champagne! It is rated in the best of Tucson (rightly so!) The wait staff is stellar.
5. The gift shop is very nice
6. The grounds/pool/work out facility is excellent.
7. The lobby and lounge are really cool.
8. Parking is free and ample.
9. The wi-fi worked great.
10. Nice toiletries
11. Ice machines and soda machines on every floor.
12. Close to every thing - and right near a really nice park and zoo. I was able to take my niece and nephew to the zoo for the day (only 10 dollars for the 3 of us!)

Cons: *** non really any ***
I wish we could have had a fridge in the room (small one) or the option of having one. But it wasn't really a big deal.

Overall it was a great place to stay, and we will be definitely staying here again, and definitely will be heading back to the Sunday brunch!

I wish I could remember the waitress who helped us on Sunday during brunch - she was one of the highlights of our stay! She was so friendly, and seemed to know everyone who walked in. We had 2 kids with us that day and she was so helpful and great with them. The chefs at the brunch were also fantastic - even entertaining the kids (and us).

Next time you are in Tucson, be sure to check out this hotel!

• Liked — Staff, room, restaurant,
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ncreviews

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I stayed at the Doubletree for 3 nights and was quite happy. I agree with some of the other reviewers regarding the security of the ground level rooms with sliders opening to the courtyard, and this is my only downside to the experience. It's not that the room wasn't secure: it was, it's just that it felt like it wasn't, possibly because the entire facility feels very "open." That said, my room was great: large, with a nice flat screen TV, comfortable bedding, space to work, and a very large bathroom with stone tiles and Neutrogena amenities (including sunscreen and face wash). Housekeeping was good, and the closets had real hangers. A fridge or mini-bar would have been nice. The in-room coffee service was the kind I like: single serve cups with a hearty roast "pod" and real creamers. You could actually make a pretty decent cup of coffee in your room.

The walking path across the street is a nice asset. I didn't use the workout room or the pool, but I walked the path (about 50-60 mins all the way around) each day..

The hotel bar, the Javelina restaurant, and room service were all good: decent food at reasonable prices. I wouldn't expect an amazing meal here, and I didn't feel ripped off.

Service was particularly excellent. Staff here seem to enjoy their jobs and are willing to go the extra mile to be helpful. I would look forward to a return visit: my experience feels like a good value.

• Liked — good value; free shuttle around town!
  • Disliked — ground level rooms with sliding doors felt a little too "open"
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel 13 nights in 2008. The last time I stayed there was the straw that did it for me. This hotel has been around for a very, very long time. They are in the process of upgrading by putting in new paint and carpet, but the thing is still a dump. The nicest person in the hotel was the bellman. The front desk uniforms were worn, wrinkled and the person in them was very snooty. I have stayed in the tower, the casitas and the two story buildings. During all my stays the rooms were horrible. The layout of the property is not done right, so be prepared to treck throughout the property. The Javelina Cantina smells and the food was horrible. How hard is it to grill some chicken, without it being dry? For breakfast I was ripped off with the nasty buffet and being overpriced. This is how you are treated for being a frequent stayer. Do yourself a favor and go to the Marriott properties.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 Thank HiltonHater
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

This is my 5th or 6th time staying at this particular hotel... but the first time in several months since they did some renovations to the place.
Last time I stayed here I was not in "the tower" and felt a little bit as if I were staying in a motel rather than a Doubletree. I don't like hotels with outdoor access, especially into the parking lot.. Don't feel as safe nor secure as I have had a break in before at an outdoor access hotel, so never again. I made sure I requested to be in the tower on this reservation.
* The Hallways have been completely redone. They are now a bright red and gold tone with new carpet, lighting and signage.
* The rooms were updated with new bathroom vanties, a 42" flat screen tv, and I believe the carpet was new as well. Same bedding, but the bedding was nicebefore and the Doubletree Beds are some of the most comfortable beds in the busienss.
* I will say I wish they would spend the extra $$ and add HD to those new Flat Panel tv's. Seems like a waste to have those nice HD TV's and not the HD Service. maybe that is in the works.
* The lobby and gounds are always in great condition, and the staff is friendly and accomodating
* The hotel is smack in the middle of downtown Tucson, and across the street from a great park with tennis and jogging trails. Lots of good restaurants near by and a brand new Target for those items you may have forgotten to pack.

I like this hotel. I always have. if I am not mistaken it is the original, very first Doubletree in the country.. I just suggest you stay in the tower if you can, and enjoy the hotel (and the free chocolate chip cookies! ) I also saw a couple of pets so they must be "pet friendly"

• Liked — New Updated and Big Flat Screen TV
  • Disliked — no HD on new Flat Screens
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbia, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

My main motivation in staying here was to be near a decent place to jog and swim laps while on business. The golf course/park across the street provided a good place for the former, with a 3 mile loop around the golf course, while the nearby year-round Edith Ball pool was excellent for the latter.

I asked the front desk for a renovated room so they put me on the second floor of a two-level building in the courtyard area near the pool. I heeded the warning from other reviewers on this site regarding the older rooms. The building has a somewhat dated color scheme, but inside felt new. The bathroom is impressive, with modern Home Expo-like fixtures and a granite vanity top. My room was fairly quiet, although I could sometimes hear voices from the next room through the shared lock-off door. The walls and floors seemed solid enough to mask other noises. The bed was comfortable and featured a duvet, which was overkill for this time of year. The new 42” Philips LCD TV was quite nice, even with the standard def service. They should spring for the HD service.

I didn’t go near the restaurant based on other reviews – there are plenty of other options nearby. I liked the Good Egg on Broadway a few miles away (opens 6:30 am). A free continental breakfast would have been appreciated. The hotel pool looked decent as did the tennis courts, but I didn’t use either.

The workout room has a few cardio machines and weights; nothing special but OK. I didn’t bother with the treadmills because of the great weather and running path across the street. Free wireless broadband was speedy. I had no problems with access.

A few criticisms or caveats… Rooms in this part of the hotel open to the outside so some travelers may not be comfortable with this. Beware of $4 bottles of water for sale in the room. Stop at Fry’s grocery store around the corner for water and other supplies. A fridge is really needed. The AC had some smell to it, but windows open to get some fresh air. I don’t think next door was all that loud. The lock-off door was that thin. Electrical outlets should have been replaced when they upgraded the room since my chargers would hardly stay in the sockets. Some outlets were unusable.

I’d stay here again assuming I got a good rate. The upsides offset the downsides.

• Liked — Location, solid overall construction, updated comfortable room, new big TV
  • Disliked — Noise through the thin lock-off door, no free breakfast, old electrical outlets, expensive bottled water for sale in the room, no fridge
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portales, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

The Doubletree was always the classic big in-town hotel in Tucson in the 70s and 80s. We can recall many wedding parties, graduations, and other memorable events there. We had not stayed there for ages, and were pleasantly surprised to see how nice and clean and new everything is today. The room was spotless and obviously newly refurbished. The place is quiet, being solid masonry construction and not sticks and stucco as so many places in Tucson are. The neighborhood behind is a charming and upscale mid-century area, and the whole plae is walled off from the rest of the world, giving it a very safe feeling.

The Cactus dining room was also spotless and the food was as good as ever and professionally presented and served. Only the Javalina Cantina had changed -it used to be a happening bar but was completely dead when we were there, and looked a little dark. The clay tennis courts were in great shape.

Best of all Reid park right next door has a wonderful jogging path that was not there before. It took us all around the park past the upscale mansions of El Encanto Estates, and then we found the Starbucks at El Con Mall. There is even a new Claimjumper restaurant on that corner now and a good sushi place within walking distance of the hotel! We don't golf, but the course is about 50 yards from the Doubletree.

While central Tucson has changed a lot over the years, the Doubletree at Broadway and Alvernon area stands out as a classic, upscale urban setting for a great resort hotel.

• Liked — Convenient to all Tucson has to offer and very clean
  • Disliked — Javalina cantina was dark
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Traveling with a pet doesn't always leave you many options so my family and I were happy to see that the double tree accepted pets. Check in was quick and we got a free warm cookie! After checking in we were told that pets were only accepted in the back rooms behind the high-rise building. As we drove to the lot and building around we pulled up with 'uh oh' on the tips of our tongues.

Imagine our surprise to open the door of our room to find a fully renovated room! Everything was brand new and clean! The floors were made of the same marble-like material as in the lobby and the counters were granite topped! The beds had real comforters on them not those ugly quilts and were so soft! Even the dog was happy. We had a second floor room but we could see the 1st floor rooms had small patios in the back to sit on or walk your pet. The rooms were very quiet you couldn't hear any of the neighbors from inside even the several people in the room next to us.

After coming back from dinner we had a small problem with our key not opening the door. But after a quick call to the front desk maintenance was there in less than 5 minutes! He let us in then came back with a new key and tested it out before giving it to us. Talk about great service!

• Liked — friendly and efficant staff, clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)