“Smelly, cold, bad food, and $10 internet” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Golf, Stay & Play
Ranked #30 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona
“Smelly, cold, bad food, and $10 internet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My first stay at a Hilton facility, and I was less than impressed. My room smelled like animal urine when I arrived (like my neighbor's laundry room where she keeps her dog). I was told I could have another room, but would need to wait until one was ready - the bead show crowd was in the process of leaving (an absolute mess in the parking lot). The heater also did not work when I arrived, and after keeping the doors open to try and air out the urine smell the room was quite cold. They did fix the heater fairly quickly, so that was good. My meal at the Javelina Cantina would have been topped by Carl's Jr. - my previously frozen burger was burned, the guacamole was brown, and the fries were warm and slightly soggy. Then, when I tried to use the internet I learned that I would be charged $10 per day for internet access because I was not a member of the "club". That's an underhanded Vegas casino tactic - really, Hilton? I can get free internet access at Motel 6, Best Western, or Quality Inn, and for what I was charged for the room there should be no question about free internet access. I finally convinced the staff to waive the internet fee for one day after much effort and arguing back and forth about "Hilton policy." I will find somewhere else to stay on my next trip to Tucson.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear B H,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room and your restaurant experience. We try to be very vigilant in these areas because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff and restaurant staff so these situations do not happen again. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll consider staying with us again.

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

After spending two nights here, it's pretty safe to say I'll be avoiding future Doubletree stays. Although there is a "normal" hotel - it seems at least half (maybe most) of the rooms are in this motel out back. It is VERY dark back there and all guestroom doors open to the outdoors. I would have never booked this property if I was aware it was more like a motel. I checked in after 10p and was directed to walk behind this main building (down a pretty dark path though at least I passed someone who appeared to be a roving patrol en route) to my room in the motel section. The stairwell had no light (though it did work on the second night) and my room was somewhat tucked in a corner. Not a pleasant feeling for a single female traveler. The room seemed cleanish but smelled closed up. The shower could have used either an update or thorough cleaning (mildew in multiple areas). The water also stayed pretty lukewarm, at best, and the towels had seen better days. On the second night, I parked closer to my room in a pretty poorly lit lot - which is adjacent to what appeared to be lower-end rental property. On this same night, I was unable to find any working vending machine on property to get a bottle of water and instead had to go to a convenience store (at least it's adjacent to the property, but still). Just not a great setup overall. On a positive note: The front-desk clerks were nice enough and check-in/out was painless. That all said, if you get a room here for dirt cheap and are not staying alone, maybe it's acceptable. Otherwise, I'd avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the regular hotel. No idea what it's like - but it has to be better than the m...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I would never stay here again. All rooms are exterior so you don't go from the lobby to your room, you get back in your car, drive around to the back of the hotel (more like motel) to enter your room. I did not feel safe! I booked a room for 4 and there were 3 towels. We had driven all night and were exhausted only to find that our a/c didn't work! The lamp next to our bed didn't work. I went to the lobby the next day and requested a refund as I had paid for 2 nights in advance and my family wanted to leave this place, of course they declined my request. We left anyway as it wasn't worth being miserable one more night!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a good room!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lorri B,

We are so very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We have addressed the issues you reported with our housekeeping staff. The comfort and safety of our guests is truly our highest priority and your comments help us to improve on our guest experience. We hope the next time you're in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Tehachapi, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed for the Bead Show and the staff was wonderful - friendly, helpful and nice. Great room too. Definitely recommend it!
They say here on Trip Advisor that this comment section needs to be 200 characters long - the heck with that! I've already said all i want to say, now i'm just filling up space... if you read this far, you've wasted precious seconds of your life - get going on your vacation already.

Flagstaff, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I quite enjoyed my stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. When I arrived, check in was effortless. When I was told that my room was on the second floor via stairs, I asked if there was a room available that did not require climbing stairs. I was immediately accommodated with a room in the main building I could access using an elevator. I will stay here again when in Tucson.

Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The rooms are clean and nicely decorated and the bed I never wanted to get out of!! So comfortable. The tv remote was a bit difficult, don't know why. Breakfast was good and the wait staff exceptionally nice and happy. I stayed there a four days on business and the only thing I wish was that they had a little more extensive menu in the Cantina and bar.

chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a nice property and the room are comfortable but my stay was only 3 stars and not 4 due to some little holes in the trip. The remote did not work well and the workout facility had no fresh towels, cups for water, or clean headphones. I was in a room on the 1st floor and had no cell reception. My bill was not placed under my door and I didn't have time to stand in line when I checked out to get it. I left something in the room and was never called back when I left a message asking them to call me. I had to pay $9.95 each day for Internet although breakfast was provided free. Had dinner in room one night and it was good but I'd recommend you drive to Blue Willow Cafe about 4 miles away. I would stay here again if the rate was good otherwise I'm going for the Marriott on UA's campus or the Marriott Star Pass. The location on Alvernon is lame.

Dear bonzi530,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We’re very sorry that your experience was only a 3-star versus a 4-star. We’ve addressed the issues you encountered to ensure they will not happen again. We hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience our 4-star level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Regards,

Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park? Share your experiences!