“Awesome Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Vail, Arizona, United States
“Awesome Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very friendly and professional staff. The rooms were very clean and spacious. I am definitely staying there again. The location is perfect and is within a reasonable distance for shopping malls and restaurants. The Randolph Park Golf Course is across the street. The only negative thing is the parking lot. The lot is too small.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I explored Tucson for 2 weeks on bicycle as a winter escape vacation. Once I discovered the Doubletree I ended going back 3 more times and made it the base for my rides. Each time I stayed in a spacious ground floor patio room decorated in earth tones with large sliding glass door for plenty of natural light. Large digital TV with HD channels resulted in me watching more TV than usual, but I won't deduct points for that! Super friendly staff who remembered me after a few stays. This is now my go-to place when in Tucson. Wish management would rethink policy of charging for internet … to me that's like charging to use the library.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Napa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a nice property, the rooms are nice, the grounds are nice, the staff is very good. Unfortunately for me, the Kitchen brings the whole place down and I would say should be at the very least audited by Hilton. I was recently there for 2 nights. First night I ate at the Cactus Rose Steakhouse. The menu was uninspiring, the food on the salad bar seemed like it had been sitting out all day, and the entree mediocre at best. The only good thing was the waiter, but I think he was the cook and dishwasher too. The next night I ate at the Javelina Cantina. My order of Camerones took about 1/2 hour, even though the place was not busy. I sat at the bar, and it seemed like the waitstaff, including the bartender were spending alot of time in the kitchen, which made me wonder if they too were the cooks and dishwashers. The shrimp, vegetables, refried beans and rice seemed like they had a weeks worth of sodium. The bartender asked me how it was, I said terrible. Then some manager type guy asked me how it was, I told him I could not eat it. He asked me if I wanted something else (which at this point, I did not, and he ran away. You would think at the very least they would have comp'd a glass of wine or something. I also had breakfast one morning, and it was not bad, which made me believe there was a whole different crew in the kitchen at that time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SLemon445, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and restaurant. We’re very sorry that you were disappointed with your entrée, and we’ve shared your comment with our culinary team. We’re improving our menu with your recommendations in mind. The next time you’re in the area, we hope you’ll come back to see the changes we’ve made and tell us what you think. We want to provide you with the best guest experience. Thank you for helping us improve!

Best Regards,

SueAnn Lemon
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here numerous times and am noticing that the facility is getting a worn look. I love the location and the hotel staff is outstanding and goes overboard to make their guests feel welcome. My traveling companion is diabetic and the staff sent up apples to make up for the fact that he couldn't have the wonderful welcome cookies. The beds very comfortable and the house staff keep the rooms spotless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gonealot,

Thank you so much for your review. We truly love knowing that you had a good stay. We are always looking to improve the on-property experience, so thank you for your insight. On behalf of our entire team, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Regards,

Sue Ann Lemon
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was once a MOTEL, with multiple buildings not connected to each other - you had to go outside to get from one to the other. Room temperature at check in was set at 85 degrees F! Yes, it was unseasonably cold outside (25 degrees in AM one day), but 85 was a waste of energy and took hours to cool the room down to a reasonable temperature. The room smelled musty - as if someone had smoked in a non-smoking room and then staff had tried to cover that with deodorizer. The shower/tub area smelled of smoke. Damp spots in the carpet by the entry tile floor didn't have an obvious cause. Hotel air conditioners always seem to rattle when the blower comes on, and this room was no exception. Scrambled eggs on breakfast buffet were cold, but breakfast servers were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room in the building next to the one with the meeting rooms and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sue22315,

We’re so sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you expected and deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to Tucson, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show our true level of high quality. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

SueAnn Lemon
Riley, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice now, while visiting family in Tucson. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the overall service was great! We will definitely stay again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Nothing bad, nothing great. Clean, with good beds and a nice pool/hot tub area. I liked the Javalina Cantina attached to the hotel and would be satisfied at that happy hour (til 8pm) any time. After a week in Tucson I think there is no good wait service in the whole town, so I won't complain overly much about the wandering bar staff at the Cantina.

Room Tip: The top floor gave me a decent view of the hills outside town.
Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park? Share your experiences!