“For the young and young at heart” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Hotel Congress

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
The Historic Hotel Congress
Save Saved
You added The Historic Hotel Congress to your Saves list
311 East Congress Street, Tucson, AZ 85701   |
Ranked #55 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“For the young and young at heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I really loved this hotel. I was nervous booking because of the mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but was pleasantly surprised. It is oozing character, has a fabulous restaurant, great bar and hosts fantastic bands regularly. We had Breakfast at the Cup Cafe and also a Bloody Mary from the bar, both were exceptional. Everyone we interfaced with was polite and professional. Its a clean hotel, the bed was comfortable, but yes, it can appear run down--since it is a historic hotel, that is part of the charm in my opinion. It is also loud--because it is one of "the" places to be in downtown Tucson--great mix of not just hotel guests but locals and out of towners as well to see the bands. If you are going to relax and like to go to bed early, don't choose this hotel. If you have kids I wouldn't recommend either (unless they are older and you want them to know what a cool parent you are by finding a place like this)--its perfect for people wanting to explore Tucson, get a feel for the rock n roll cowboy charm of the area. Parking in the deck across the street was easy (front desk validates=free), and for the room price, this hotel is a great deal in a great location to walk everywhere downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear thearttravel2520,

Thank you for staying with us, there is a lot we have to offer and I am glad you did not let the bad reviews scare you away.

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

While I didn't stay at this hotel, I enjoyed the bar. Loved one of the signature cocktails, the Ghost Orchid. Great bartender. Enjoyed the $5 apps, nachos and Papa Frites. Great art and atmosphere. Definite return.

• Stayed April 2013
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Babete,
Thanks so much for the great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again when you come to Tucson!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Knew the hotel was known for noisy so we requested in advance a cactus room (more interior but they only have a few). The noise did not bother us at all in that room. The rooms are really basic (priced accordingly) but sufficient. The staff was really nice and efficient.

The only thing I would say is we stayed in room #205 a cactus room and it was beyond tiny. We could barely move around the bed and the bathroom was borderline dangerously small. We peeked in other rooms around the hotel when they were cleaning them and they were 1.5-2x the size of our room. If you are a single person it would be ok but if you don't like being cramped avoid #205.

Room Tip: Cactus #205 is a closet - ok for a solo traveler.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Love2dine054,

We are Historic and when guests ask about our room sizes I tell them that we are "Historically" sized. Some of our rooms are bigger than others but 205 is one of the smallest rooms. We even have one room that can only accomodate a single twin. I am glad that size was the only draw back.

When you come in the future 211 and 221 are our largest Cactus Garden Rooms.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed there for a week during a Tucson visit.

Very nice, old, quaint, lovely patio and a decent restaurant (huevos rancheros om nom nom).
Yes, there's loud music on occasion, but if you are from a largish city, you probably won't mind. Drunk people running up and down the hall - slightly bigger disturbance.

The only real downside were rather atrocious showers, old, slightly rusty and no pressure whatsoever, cold-ish water.

Room Tip: Little patio/garden facing ones are good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear eva k,

Thank you for coming to the Hotel and for your review. We are historic and our last major renovation to our rooms was in 1934 when we installed bathrooms in them. We are working on adding a new water feature that is Solar powered on our roof to regulate the heat and pressure, we do not plan on changing the bathrooms but this upgrade is very exciting.

It is nice to hear that the music and noise was not too much of a bother, if you plan on getting away from noise our interior Cactus Garden Rooms are your best option. On the other hand if you can't beat the join them. There is always something going on and if we can we try to get our guests into the events for free or at a discounted rate, so don't hesitate to ask the Front Desk what we have going on for you.

Hope to see you soon,

Pinckney, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the initial scan of the website to the last goodbye - this hotel was authentic and very good at what it does. This is one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed - inside and out. With the amount of traffic in and around the hotel the cleanliness is quite impressive.
Some of the policies seem a little quirky, but they are up front about them and by the end of my stay they seemed to make sense.
The simplicity of the rooms was refreshing....and I loved not having a tv - there are plenty of characters to watch in Tucson

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jesspantano,

I am always proud of our housekeeping staff and when I read your review I ran upstairs to tell them. It is hard work and they are amazing so thank you for noticing.

I know that some of our policies are quirky like having to leave your key to your room at the front desk. I like it though because it means more interaction with the guests. I feel like I get to know everyone in the Hotel.

I am glad you stayed with us and hope you come back soon,

Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Famous for the Dillinger gang getting caught during a fire, this historic hotel is great.
thy have NOT remodeled the tap room, complete with juke box that plays 45's.
Get a room away from the bar area for a quieter night.
Must have-- The baked eggs in the Cup cafe

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear ROBERT D,

If you like our history and that this is where the Dillinger Gang got caught you have to come to next years Dillinger Days it is the 3rd weekend in January on Friday and Saturday. We dress up and give tours of the Hotel Rooms. There are also reenactments of the Capture on the Saturday.

We look Historic everyday but will take you back in time during our Dillinger Days.

See you then,

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My fiance and I stayed last Friday night at Hotel Congress. We chose it because we drove in from Las Vegas to see Jeff Mangum at the Rialto Theater which is directly across the street. The second we walked into the Hotel Congress we were impressed with the friendliness and accommodation of the staff. We were greeted warmly, assured that where we parked was fine, given instructions on how the hotel works, and wished a pleasant stay. I really love the historicness of Hotel Congress. It's quirky and quaint and a different kind of stay from your usual Days Inn or Hilton or what have you. My favorite thing is that they give you a big heavy key for your room that you leave at the front desk whenever you leave. You don't have to carry a key with you. You simply add the names of everyone staying in the room and drop off and pick up the key at the desk whenever you go out or come back. Some people might not like this or think of it as an inconvenience, but I thought it was great! I never had to worry about losing the key. We arrived around 5pm and were delighted to discover that the bar had a happy hour until 6pm so we indulged in delicious Old Fashioneds for cheap! After we saw our concert at the Rialto we came back to the Hotel Congress to find live rock n' roll in their outdoor courtyard and a TON of people! Despite this, we were still able to get a beer fairly quickly and enjoy the music for a bit. After driving seven hours that day and partying it up that night, after midnight we were tired. This is where everything bad you have heard about Hotel Congress turns out to be true. The music in the courtyard was still going on and it was loud. My fiance snores, so I am used to sleeping with earplugs and even bring my own with me when we travel. I appreciate that the hotel provides earplugs, but I'll admit, the brand I buy (Hearos) is better than what they provide. I popped them in and was asleep in no time. The only complaint I have about the hotel and the reason why I gave only a "very good" and not an "excellent" is for the double bed in the room. I understand that the hotel is old and the rooms are small, but not even a queen sized bed? We are used to a king so trying to adjust to sleeping in a double bed was difficult. Additionally, it wasn't a very comfortable double bed at that. But if you stay at the Hotel Congress for a good night's sleep, you're doing it wrong! It's all about the atmosphere, the lovely people, the drinks and the food! Oh, did I not mention the food yet? As a guest you get the perk of making reservations in their Cafe Cup restaurant. We had the most excellent breakfast there the following morning. If you can get anything with the smoked brisket (which they smoke themselves in the courtyard daily) I highly recommend it. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Congress.

Room Tip: If you are really concerned with the noise level, you can request a "Cactus" room which ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear kerryannmccombs,

Thank you for your review, if you have a moment to send me an e-mail about what room you were in I would love to take the bed for a spin. We try to keep everything at the Hotel as Historic as possible but not our beds. We are regularly bringing in new beds and I would like to put yours on the short list. During the summer we try to fill the Plaza as much as possible with live music and events to take advantage of the beautiful summer nights Tucson is known for, so if you have a free night and want to enjoy that 7 hour car ride come on back and we can have you test out another one of our beds.

See you soon,

Hotel Congress Rooms Manager
julie@hotelcongress.com

Been to The Historic Hotel Congress? Share your experiences!