“Old and quaint” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Hotel Congress

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
The Historic Hotel Congress
Save Saved
You added The Historic Hotel Congress to your Saves list
311 East Congress Street, Tucson, AZ 85701   |
Ranked #55 of 127 hotels in Tucson
London, United Kingdom
“Old and quaint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed there for a week during a Tucson visit.

Very nice, old, quaint, lovely patio and a decent restaurant (huevos rancheros om nom nom).
Yes, there's loud music on occasion, but if you are from a largish city, you probably won't mind. Drunk people running up and down the hall - slightly bigger disturbance.

The only real downside were rather atrocious showers, old, slightly rusty and no pressure whatsoever, cold-ish water.

Room Tip: Little patio/garden facing ones are good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
JulieHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear eva k,

Thank you for coming to the Hotel and for your review. We are historic and our last major renovation to our rooms was in 1934 when we installed bathrooms in them. We are working on adding a new water feature that is Solar powered on our roof to regulate the heat and pressure, we do not plan on changing the bathrooms but this upgrade is very exciting.

It is nice to hear that the music and noise was not too much of a bother, if you plan on getting away from noise our interior Cactus Garden Rooms are your best option. On the other hand if you can't beat the join them. There is always something going on and if we can we try to get our guests into the events for free or at a discounted rate, so don't hesitate to ask the Front Desk what we have going on for you.

Hope to see you soon,

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the initial scan of the website to the last goodbye - this hotel was authentic and very good at what it does. This is one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed - inside and out. With the amount of traffic in and around the hotel the cleanliness is quite impressive.
Some of the policies seem a little quirky, but they are up front about them and by the end of my stay they seemed to make sense.
The simplicity of the rooms was refreshing....and I loved not having a tv - there are plenty of characters to watch in Tucson

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jesspantano,

I am always proud of our housekeeping staff and when I read your review I ran upstairs to tell them. It is hard work and they are amazing so thank you for noticing.

I know that some of our policies are quirky like having to leave your key to your room at the front desk. I like it though because it means more interaction with the guests. I feel like I get to know everyone in the Hotel.

I am glad you stayed with us and hope you come back soon,

Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Famous for the Dillinger gang getting caught during a fire, this historic hotel is great.
thy have NOT remodeled the tap room, complete with juke box that plays 45's.
Get a room away from the bar area for a quieter night.
Must have-- The baked eggs in the Cup cafe

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear ROBERT D,

If you like our history and that this is where the Dillinger Gang got caught you have to come to next years Dillinger Days it is the 3rd weekend in January on Friday and Saturday. We dress up and give tours of the Hotel Rooms. There are also reenactments of the Capture on the Saturday.

We look Historic everyday but will take you back in time during our Dillinger Days.

See you then,

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My fiance and I stayed last Friday night at Hotel Congress. We chose it because we drove in from Las Vegas to see Jeff Mangum at the Rialto Theater which is directly across the street. The second we walked into the Hotel Congress we were impressed with the friendliness and accommodation of the staff. We were greeted warmly, assured that where we parked was fine, given instructions on how the hotel works, and wished a pleasant stay. I really love the historicness of Hotel Congress. It's quirky and quaint and a different kind of stay from your usual Days Inn or Hilton or what have you. My favorite thing is that they give you a big heavy key for your room that you leave at the front desk whenever you leave. You don't have to carry a key with you. You simply add the names of everyone staying in the room and drop off and pick up the key at the desk whenever you go out or come back. Some people might not like this or think of it as an inconvenience, but I thought it was great! I never had to worry about losing the key. We arrived around 5pm and were delighted to discover that the bar had a happy hour until 6pm so we indulged in delicious Old Fashioneds for cheap! After we saw our concert at the Rialto we came back to the Hotel Congress to find live rock n' roll in their outdoor courtyard and a TON of people! Despite this, we were still able to get a beer fairly quickly and enjoy the music for a bit. After driving seven hours that day and partying it up that night, after midnight we were tired. This is where everything bad you have heard about Hotel Congress turns out to be true. The music in the courtyard was still going on and it was loud. My fiance snores, so I am used to sleeping with earplugs and even bring my own with me when we travel. I appreciate that the hotel provides earplugs, but I'll admit, the brand I buy (Hearos) is better than what they provide. I popped them in and was asleep in no time. The only complaint I have about the hotel and the reason why I gave only a "very good" and not an "excellent" is for the double bed in the room. I understand that the hotel is old and the rooms are small, but not even a queen sized bed? We are used to a king so trying to adjust to sleeping in a double bed was difficult. Additionally, it wasn't a very comfortable double bed at that. But if you stay at the Hotel Congress for a good night's sleep, you're doing it wrong! It's all about the atmosphere, the lovely people, the drinks and the food! Oh, did I not mention the food yet? As a guest you get the perk of making reservations in their Cafe Cup restaurant. We had the most excellent breakfast there the following morning. If you can get anything with the smoked brisket (which they smoke themselves in the courtyard daily) I highly recommend it. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Congress.

Room Tip: If you are really concerned with the noise level, you can request a "Cactus" room which ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear kerryannmccombs,

Thank you for your review, if you have a moment to send me an e-mail about what room you were in I would love to take the bed for a spin. We try to keep everything at the Hotel as Historic as possible but not our beds. We are regularly bringing in new beds and I would like to put yours on the short list. During the summer we try to fill the Plaza as much as possible with live music and events to take advantage of the beautiful summer nights Tucson is known for, so if you have a free night and want to enjoy that 7 hour car ride come on back and we can have you test out another one of our beds.

See you soon,

Hotel Congress Rooms Manager
julie@hotelcongress.com
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Congress on March 16, 2013. We ended up making the reservation by phone and the staff person said that it was a noisy hotel and we could have a room away from the music area if we wished. We took that offer and had a perfectly good night's sleep, in spite of the fact that a St. Patrick's Day celebration started at midnight, (We had previous experience with Dublin's Temple Bar area and know what REAL noise can be like.)

The hotel staff was excellent-friendly and helpful. The hotel decor was interesting, full of history, and quite enjoyable. We met friends for lunch at the hotel restaurant and had a good dining experience. Breakfast on the outside patio was excellent. The hotel's location was great for walking around and exploring Tucson and we took advantage of it.

While we are senior citizens, we have no physical issues. We were not effected by the fact that for historical reasons the elevator doesn't function (damaged in a fire that resulted in the capture of John Dillinger, public enemy # 1..ask a staff person to tell you the story) nor was there a support rail on the tub/shower.

BTW-While the hotel was historically in sync, there WAS an excellent wi-fi connection to counter balance the rotary-dial phone and lack of TV.

Would we do it again if the same accommodations were available-absolutely!

Kerry & Lori Bryne

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the music.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Gryphon46,

I hope you joined in the Saint Patrick’s Day festivities. I joked that there are not enough holidays to celebrate that we made one up by making Saint Patrick’s Day Eve and having everyone kick off the holiday early.

We cater to the Adventurer in our guests and no matter what your age hope to make for an enjoyable experience. I am glad we hit the mark with you.

See you soon,
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Congress last night.and had a wonderfully memorable stay. The hotel is quaint, quirky and fun. Our room was clean, cute and the bed very comfortable (though I would have rated "Excellent" if they had provided feather pillows). We weren't bothered at all by noise, but rather enjoyed all of the 'hub-bub' surrounding the "Geeks who Drink" event at the Cup Cafe and the concert going on in the theater. David really enjoyed the variety of artwork hanging throughout the place, and the 2 meals that we ate at the Cup (dinner and breakfast) were both surprisingly delicious. The menu surprised me in it's variety and coolness (artisan cheeses, falafel lettuce wraps - Nice!) This hotel is an experience, not just a place to crash. Come with a sense of fun and leave happy.

I also want to mention (since I've read a few complaints on here about it) the kind and professional service that we received both on check-in and check-out. Young "kids" work here, sure, but they were very nice and helpful to us. Thumbs way up!

My only complaint has to do with the street construction. This is not the hotel's fault, so I'm not downgrading my review, just letting people know it's noisy, smelly and dirty and makes for some scary driving upon arrival. It will be very nice once complete.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kraypaper,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here. We change our art almost bi-monthly and are blessed to have such great local artists such as Danny Martin whose pieces are hanging on our walls now. I will also pass along to the Cup you enjoyed your meals.

We are excited to report that the construction on our portion of Congress Street should be completed by April 11th.

Have a lovely day,

Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the historic Hotel Congress for a week while participating in an adobe preservation workshop in the Tucson area. The hotel was conveniently located downtown and was well restored- down to the rotary dial phone in my room. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the bar was well stocked with a variety of popular local, foreign and domestic beers and spirits, and the breakfast at the cafe was excellent.
Some may not like the noise coming from their club downstairs, but if you like music as much as I, it is a bonus. As a hotel guest I got into the shows for free, and especially enjoyed seeing Reverend Horton Heat.
Over all, I had an excellent experience at the Hotel Congress and highly recommend it. Go for a stay in a unique place with a superb staff- and check out the live music while you're there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DaraHC, Manager at The Historic Hotel Congress, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Chad B.,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your review. I am glad you got to go to Reverend Horton Heat that was a fun show, and that you were treated well.

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Hotel Congress

Been to The Historic Hotel Congress? Share your experiences!