We ended up in Tucson just after the tragic shooting of Gabrielle Giffords and 16 others. The press had descended on the city and President Obama was on his way. We called and asked to be let out of the reservation, given the fact that we were two women traveling alone and felt uncomfortable. They would not let us cancel, even though they surely could have rented out the room. I called the main BW number to ask them to make an exception, given the circumstances, and transfer our reservation to a BW in another city. They told me the hotels are all independently owned and they could not help me.
When we pulled into the parking lot, we got very nervous. The hotel is in a VERY sketchy area. The weather was warm but we never would have walked around at night. If possible, please check it out before you stay there!!
The hotel is clean, but very old and funky. As others mentioned, there is a train that blares its horn thoughout the night. The pool was still closed for renovations - something reviewers had mentioned months ago, to which the manager had responded that it had reopened a few weeks ago. ??
The good part was that the complimentary breakfast is from a real menu in a restaurant on site (with great waitresses) -- way more than you'd expect in this situation. In the evening you can go to the lounge on site -- very no-frills and casual, for sure -- but with a bar menu, a great bartender, pool table, big-screen TV, etc. It was a great option because I sure wouldn't have ventured out in that area!
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Royal Sun Hotel Tucson
- Best Western Plus Royal Sun Hotel
- Best Western Tucson
- Tucson Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at this full-service, Eco-Friendly Tucson, Arizona hotel located close to the University of Arizona, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and the Old Tucson Studios. Enjoy complimentary COOK-TO-ORDER breakfast each morning at the restaurant & 2-FOR-1 Drinks at Lounge each evening. The newly renovated Green Certified BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, located near Interstates 10 and 19 in Tucson, Arizona. We offer convenient access to many key area attractions including college Campuses, 3 Malls, three-Golf Courses and the Tucson International Airport. Enjoy spaciously-appointed guest rooms and suites, including hot tub suites, each complete with wired and wireless high-speed Internet access and 32' LCD HD TV with HBO® and DVD player. This full-service hotel also features a newly renovated outdoor swimming pool and hot tub, fitness center, business services and meeting facilities. Pets are welcome for a small fee. Guests staying at this Arizona hotel will enjoy being close to the San Xavier Mission, the Sabino Canyon, the Biosphere 2 and the Tubac Artists Colony. Just a short drive away, guests can find the Saguaro National Park, the Kartchner Caverns State Park, historic Tombstone and historic Bisbee. For superior customer service and a convenient location in Tucson, Arizona make a reservation today at the BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Best Western, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.