“Clean and comfortable yet noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #20 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Clean and comfortable yet noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I chose this location because it was near a wedding that I am/was in town for. This motel is not much to look at from the street, but once you turn into the inner area, it looks very nice, well kept, and promising. There were two billboards announcing it as I approached from the freeway.
The front desk person was friendly and helpful. There's a nice pool (I didn't try it, but there were people around and in it). It's typical 2-story American motel design. The room has nice linens and it's clearly been refurbished and they've made an effort to make it eco-friendly. The furniture is just OK - desk is a little small to work at (I'm writing this review there before checking out). The high-speed internet is good.
So what's the problem? When I first spent a few minutes in the room after checking in yesterday afternoon, I could hear the footsteps of people in the room above. You can refurbish rooms in these older buildings, but not much can be done about the basic structure and this one has somewhat "thin walls". I didn't hear any noise from the rooms on the sides though. I went back to the front desk to try for a 2nd floor room, but they were full - nothing available. So I got ready and went off to the wedding at Stillwell House.
After returning and going to sleep, I was awakened a few times either by noise from above or train whistles. There's a main line of the Union Pacific that goes through Tucson, so it's hard to avoid the sound - beware. All-in-all just OK on that front.
There is a complimentary breakfast included with the room. The server was very nice, the food was just OK, though I would not recommend it if you were not staying here (got the healthy breakfast).
All-in-all I can only give this motel an average rating. I want to give it more because of the ambiance and the staff, but it's just not quite there. Would I go back if I were in town again? Maybe - if I could get a 2nd floor room and I had something going on nearby.

Room Tip: Go with 2nd floor if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

We thank you for the business & hope to see you again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012 via mobile

I was trying to find a hotel near the hustle and bustle on 4th Street. The reviews of those hotels didn't thrill me.
I am so glad! This hotel is clean, quiet, and has a modern feel in the room. It is a 5 minute drive to 4th Street.
It has a workout room! Free breakfast.
Very happy I found this place!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I will share your comments with my team as it will be very gratifying for them to hear your compliments & kind words.

U.S.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is an old motel that has been somewhat refurbished. However, I was given a room in which the plumbing and air conditioning did not work. The next day I was moved to another room with the same problem. I was again moved to a room where things did work but housekeeping did not clean very well, leaving clothing from the previous person in the room. There is no excuse for renting the rooms that I had or for the poor housekeeping.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

My team & I work very hard to provide clean & comfortable rooms along with superior customer service. We have recently completed some upgrades such as new Posturepedic beds & new bedding package, 32 inch LCD TVs with DVD players, new water efficient Oxygenic rain shower heads as well as many exterior upgrades. I am very sorry that you did not have a satisfying stay with us.

I assure you that I will speak to my team & we will work on improving on the areas you have mentioned. I do want to thank you for letting us know of the issues, so that we can work on improving & avoid them from happening for our future guests.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in future.
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My expectations were a little bit higher than what I ended up getting from this Best Western. They really push their "upgrades" and talk it up much more than it really is. Perhaps, if the hotel was in a pathetic position prior, then maybe I could side somewhat with their enthusiasm.
The "new" beds aren't exactly as great as they contend. They are a very cheap "pillow top" at best, as they are hard, uncomfortable and springs can even somewhat be felt underneath, while sleeping.
The noise level from other rooms is quite high. It is comparable to the neighboring guests being in your room. The slightest talking or moderate level of the television will be audible. (Never mind the New Year's Eve raucous, we had to endure from the drunkards next to us).

There are numerous trains that wail through the area quite close, blowing their horns all throughout the day and evening. You will find them even more noticeable than the sounds from your neighbors. So, if you like trains and their whistles, this is the place for you!

We were in a suite. Everything is separated quite well. The jacuzzi was adequate and functioned well. The shower is with it (not separated from). There was a big huge honking shower sprayer, which was good thing, as the water pressure goes down dramatically at peak usage times. It isn't anything great to begin with but, gets the job done.

If you have an ipod or mp3, the clock radio has a cord you can use to connect with. (Yay)...if you like listening to your tunes through an $8 clock radio.

The pool area is quite nice and the hot tub is good, as well. They could become quite crowded on a good day, however.

The restaurant is quite good as well, for breakfast. You get to choose from a menu and it is included with your stay. Not the usual grab from an assortment of items that one would usually come across in a Best Western.

The staff was great and are extremely helpful. I am sure if any problems really bother someone to the extreme, they will be more than eager to help make your stay a pleasant one.

In hindsight, I suppose, the trick would be to not be overcome by the talk of all the upgrades (unless you've visited prior to them and find them amazing, as the management obviously does). It is a decent place to stay and has quite a bit to offer over the average middle of the road motel room. Just don't go into it with any flamboyant expectations and you'll be all right.

Room Tip: The rooms are kind of separated into areas of the grounds. There is a group of them near the office...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel during your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

I do want to apologize that our new Sealy Posturepedic beds are not to your comfort but. I am happy to hear that you did have a good stay with us. I truly appreciate your kind words complimenting out staff & our accommodations.

Tehachapi, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had a family emergency. We were unable to kennel our dog. When I called and explained our situation we were treated with compassion and kindess. Our room was large, clean and well appointed. We were there five nights while a family member was hospitalized, and we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the office are quieter as are second floor rooms. The pool area is lovely, with a l...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

It was our pleasure to help you with your family emergency. Our staff is always ready to go above & beyond their responsibilities to make our guests' stay more enjoyable & memorable.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Well located in downtown Tucson. Very clean,large room,very quiet,good breakfast,super staff. I definitely recommend this hotel for a golf vacation in Tucson. Not more than 1/2 hour drive from every golf courses.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

We are thrilled to hear that you liked & enjoyed our recent upgrades as well as our newly upgraded made to order breakfast.

Travis AFB Californai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I am thankful that they accepted pets. That is the reason I decided to reserve a room there because I was driving cross country from California to Florida with my Jack Russell Terrier. Upon check in I asked the person behind the desk where the best place to take her to go to the bathroom was and she pointed behind the buildings. Ladies beware… The area is not well lit and there is broken glass from beer bottles all over the ground along with fecal remains from several animals. When I made the reservation they also did not inform me of the very loud train that passes near the hotel at several different times throughout the night. Don’t even get me started on the rooms or the price for that matter. The television did not work properly and the bathroom was so small and the toilet seat was plastic. I actually thought it was going to break in use. I would have been better off sleeping in my car at a rest area than staying at this place. I would not have paid $1.00 to stay the night at this place and I got taken for $100.00

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
AZbwroyalsun, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in future.

Been to BEST WESTERN Royal Sun Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!