“a lovely hotel;would stay again” 5 of 5 stars

Arizona Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 E Elm Street, Tucson, AZ 85719   |
Ranked #4 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“a lovely hotel;would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

We booked the Arizona Inn after recommendations from Tripadvisor and stayed for 6 nights in September.
This was undoubtedly one of the best hotels we have stayed at.

It was a good location for visiting the Tucson area and the hotel grounds were beautiful.

The staff were friendly,helpful and efficient;room service was quick and the food was generous and really tasty.
A complimentary fruit and cheese basket was in our room on arrival and bottled water was provided free of charge every day; a nice touch.
Our room was on the upper floor looking out onto the fountain and was clean,roomy and the bed was very comfortable.

In conclusion we would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again if we returned to the Tucson region.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

We were at the Inn for the USC game. stayed in room 136- nice room with a pretty patio that faces pool building. Kids in 131- no patio but faced our room. Other family in 159 an upstairs suite that has no patio or outdoor area- you do not want that suite.
Food is great. Margaritas are very,very tasty and homemade. Make sure to spend some time by the pool, it is so beautiful. Staff is excellent. Only glitch was restaurant and bar were overwhelmed by the amount of people they had to serve after the game and didn't handle it very well. I have never seen it lime that in the 25 years we have been staying there. It's forgivable though- because everything is so great there. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed November 2010
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

After four nights at the Inn, I would be ready to return next week if I had reason to be in Tucson. You get what you pay for, and I felt this hotel gave me more for my dollar than several other similarly-priced places where I've stayed. It just might be on a par with the Williamsburg Inn -- I'll know in a few months. It is definitely better than the $400+ per night hotel where I stayed in Santa Fe -- much better. Nothing is walking distance from the Arizona Inn, but you don't want to walk around much in Tucson, anyway -- weather is often too hot and the visuals in the downtown area aren't too great. An oasis in the desert, the Inn is a water-guzzler! Those manicured green lawns are heavy drinkers. But there's cactus, too, and it didn't look overwatered. Service is excellent and prompt; maintenance couldn't be better; furnishings are not trendy or flashy, but they're "quality". Many rugs are old orientals - lovely. The overall feel is that of a pleasant, traditional home that's been lived in by the same people for a long, long time. Even the gift shop is tasteful and carries high quality merchandise.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband, 2 teenage daughters & I stayed at the Arizona Inn for 3 nights and we all loved it! The staff could not have been nicer, the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The hotel just has a wonderful ambiance. The pool is really nice and there is a ice cream sundae bar by the pool ever afternoon. If you have plans to stay in Tuscon, stay at the Arizona Inn- you won't be disappointed! I am already checking the calender to see when I can go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

The Arizona Inn was gorgeous. Well kept grounds, a genuinely friendly staff, and a gregarious pianist who can play anything and keep you entertained while you eat your delicious meal! From the water with lemon slices by the beautiful pool, to the free 24-hour gym, to the nightly complementary ice cream bar -- this place is a gem!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Panama City, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I have to say I was amused by a recent review about the mosquitos. They didn't bother me, but while I was having a glass of wine (alone) on the bar patio a few days ago, a waiter approached a group on the patio (the only other patrons at the time) and asked them if they were being bothered by mosquitos, but never asked me. This was my only issue with the Arizona Inn; as a single female traveller, I was invisible at times. I was just there for 2 nights. On my first evening, I went to the bar for dinner. No wait staff came near me. A couple came in and sat down, then a couple of guys, and they were approached and ordered before me. I had to revisit my drink order when the waiter came back to "take your drink order" and I said I just asked you for a margarita five minutes ago.

Other than that, the service was excellent, especially the front desk, room service (yeah, I skipped the bar for dinner after the first night), and bellman. The grounds were gorgeous, my room spacious and quiet with a private patio, the food very good. I'd go back in a heartbeat; just not alone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Flagstaff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I really love the Arizona Inn. We stay there when we can when we attend G&LW shows in Tucson. I love it despite the dowdy rooms that feel like staying at your great grandmothers house. I love it for two reasons, the amazing gorgeous grounds and the lovely little comforts and touches that abound.

Here are some of the comforts that we enjoy in addition to the frequently mentioned ice cream social or afternoon tea. I LOVE the New York Times on my doorstep each morning. I love the lemon ice water brought gratis to guests by the pool. I enjoy the piano playing each evening at the bar. This time the ice bucket was filled in our room when we arrived. The 'turn down' chocolates are nice. The lovely classic bathrooms with gleaming white tile are wonderful and designed for maximum comfort.

The furniture has been 'upgraded', although it is still very maiden auntish, and there are new beds. This is a very big deal as they were pretty poor a few years ago. There are also new flat screen TVs. However the rooms are very dull looking, and completely at odds with the amazing, vibrant, southwest character of the gardens outside.

Since the out of doors is what this place is all about, it is so frustrating that the mosquitoes are out of control in the warmer months. Tucson relies on ground water, and most Tucsonians are very careful with water use. The Arizona Inn is profligate. They flood irrigate, and everything is WAY over watered. Last time I was there I had a dozen bites by the time I had finished my ice cream so this time I did not even pack shorts. This time, wearing long pants, I had three bites on my feet around the holes in my slip ons, and sixteen on one arm within less than an hour. Luckily, none on my face! Mosquitoes can be a health hazard. It is almost impossible to enjoy the pool with this many mosquitoes.

Other complaints this trip: hot water was not very hot, and no one offered my that lovely lemon ice water by the pool this trip. When my room is over $300 per night, I expect hot water, I expect to be spoiled.

I hope that this place is not struggling. There were not many guests and they were mostly over 60. I wonder if they have trapped themselves with their tradition of dated furniture. It really isn't very appealing to people under 60. Updating to mission style would make the rooms more compatible with the southwest exterior. The art is dull to a fault, and the white walls and dated carpet don't help.

That said, I will most certainly be coming back. Next time, I will bring long sleeves and boots.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Arizona Inn? Share your experiences!