“Great value; mostly a great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Arizona Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 E Elm Street, Tucson, AZ 85719   |
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Panama City, FL
“Great value; mostly a great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I have to say I was amused by a recent review about the mosquitos. They didn't bother me, but while I was having a glass of wine (alone) on the bar patio a few days ago, a waiter approached a group on the patio (the only other patrons at the time) and asked them if they were being bothered by mosquitos, but never asked me. This was my only issue with the Arizona Inn; as a single female traveller, I was invisible at times. I was just there for 2 nights. On my first evening, I went to the bar for dinner. No wait staff came near me. A couple came in and sat down, then a couple of guys, and they were approached and ordered before me. I had to revisit my drink order when the waiter came back to "take your drink order" and I said I just asked you for a margarita five minutes ago.

Other than that, the service was excellent, especially the front desk, room service (yeah, I skipped the bar for dinner after the first night), and bellman. The grounds were gorgeous, my room spacious and quiet with a private patio, the food very good. I'd go back in a heartbeat; just not alone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Flagstaff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I really love the Arizona Inn. We stay there when we can when we attend G&LW shows in Tucson. I love it despite the dowdy rooms that feel like staying at your great grandmothers house. I love it for two reasons, the amazing gorgeous grounds and the lovely little comforts and touches that abound.

Here are some of the comforts that we enjoy in addition to the frequently mentioned ice cream social or afternoon tea. I LOVE the New York Times on my doorstep each morning. I love the lemon ice water brought gratis to guests by the pool. I enjoy the piano playing each evening at the bar. This time the ice bucket was filled in our room when we arrived. The 'turn down' chocolates are nice. The lovely classic bathrooms with gleaming white tile are wonderful and designed for maximum comfort.

The furniture has been 'upgraded', although it is still very maiden auntish, and there are new beds. This is a very big deal as they were pretty poor a few years ago. There are also new flat screen TVs. However the rooms are very dull looking, and completely at odds with the amazing, vibrant, southwest character of the gardens outside.

Since the out of doors is what this place is all about, it is so frustrating that the mosquitoes are out of control in the warmer months. Tucson relies on ground water, and most Tucsonians are very careful with water use. The Arizona Inn is profligate. They flood irrigate, and everything is WAY over watered. Last time I was there I had a dozen bites by the time I had finished my ice cream so this time I did not even pack shorts. This time, wearing long pants, I had three bites on my feet around the holes in my slip ons, and sixteen on one arm within less than an hour. Luckily, none on my face! Mosquitoes can be a health hazard. It is almost impossible to enjoy the pool with this many mosquitoes.

Other complaints this trip: hot water was not very hot, and no one offered my that lovely lemon ice water by the pool this trip. When my room is over $300 per night, I expect hot water, I expect to be spoiled.

I hope that this place is not struggling. There were not many guests and they were mostly over 60. I wonder if they have trapped themselves with their tradition of dated furniture. It really isn't very appealing to people under 60. Updating to mission style would make the rooms more compatible with the southwest exterior. The art is dull to a fault, and the white walls and dated carpet don't help.

That said, I will most certainly be coming back. Next time, I will bring long sleeves and boots.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

We stayed at this lovely hotel while taking our son to University of Arizona. It was exceptional. It was elegant and had old world charm and hospitality. We had a room with a private court-yard. The courtyard had both an umbrella table and two lounge chairs. The room was not huge, but charming. They left chocolates on your pillows at night and had a turn down service.
The grounds were beautiful with lots of trees and flowers. They had tennis courts, crochet, table tennis and a beautiful swimming pool.
We ate in the dining room. The food was excellent and the service was great.
This place is worth every penny they charge. The only thing I would change would be to get more comfortable beds.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This was my second visit and both times I had an amazing stay. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the entire staff is friendly & courteous. There is a pamphlet in each room detailing the hotel's history, and the fact that it has stayed within the same family speaks volumes. The hotel is very peaceful and tranquil and has a wonderful pool area. I loved both rooms that we stayed in - they were very comfortable and felt very homey rather than stuffy boring hotel rooms. Now I just need another excuse to go to Tucson so I can stay at the hotel again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bundaberg, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

This was the first hotel of our USA National Parks Tour and it was a gem. My tour group arrived from Australia exhausted, but the Arizona Inn soon had them in fine spirits. The check-in service was prompt and informative. The rooms were large, well appointed and decorated nicely. The gardens were lovely, but the best part was the dining room. The food and service were impeccible. It was an excellent start to our tour - everyone loved it and complimented the food. For those wanting to walk, it is in a suburban area with nothing to walk to in the area, so it's best if you have a car. Otherwise I couldn't fault it.

• Stayed May 2010
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

This place is amazing. We got a good price for a deluxe room online ($200) a night - worth every penny. The grounds are beautiful, the room was spotless and pretty big, the bed was great, the staff were first class, and the restaraunt where we ate both nights was fantastic. I could not recommend this place any more highly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Can't say enough about this hotel. (Arizona Inn). Check in was smooth, the area restaurants are super, lots to do in both Tucson and Phoenix. The hotel provided super comfortable beds, very quiet, and clean rooms, all at a great value. ARIZONA is a great place to visit and vacation. I have already booked a week at this hotel in October because we want to go back and see the rest that we missed!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Arizona Inn? Share your experiences!