“Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn
10066 East Kleindale Road, Tucson, AZ 85749   |
Ranked #17 of 52 Tucson B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, Florida
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Cactus Cove is truly a hidden treasure. Upon arrival it is impossible to see what tranquility, relaxation and romance are waiting inside. The outdoors showers are a must..Felt like a true oasis in the desert.
Sally was an exceptional hostess making us feel special and welcomed. She has a wonderful knowledge of the area and points of interest.
It was my birthday and she helped make it a one of a kind..
The only regret is that we didn't have more time to spend here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Karen, I am so happy you chose to celebrate your birthday at Cactus Cove. Hopefully you will return on another birthday. Thank you for the nice review. Do look forward to your next visit.

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

As frequent visitors to Tucson, my wife and I finally grew weary of the typical Tucson hotel experience. We decided to try a B&B for our March 2013 visit. I happened upon the Cactus Cove website and it looked like a nice place situated in the perfect area of Tucson. The photos of the suites looked inviting so we booked a 2-night stay. Bottom Line: It was life-changing.
Cactus Cove is our new permanent destination for all future Tucson visits. In fact, we may stay at Cactus Cove for all future Phoenix visits, too. The commute would be worth it.
The innkeeper and owner of this beautiful home is Sally...you'll find her to be gracious, caring, passionate about travel, cooking, the arts, literature and decor - combined with a bit of adventure and daring - she loves her life, treats her guests as her family and most of all, she has a servant's heart.
Sally's home is located with views to everywhere. It is surrounded by desert flora and fauna, has beautiful architecture, interior design and comfort to die for ...and relaxing outdoor living ammenities - too many to describe here.
Here are some adjectives for you: tranquil, quiet, comfortable, convenient, interesting (she has brought collectibles from all over the world)....oh, and tasty.
I won't give up the breakfast menus but I will say that as soon as I got home, I got busy trying to duplicate it. She is a wonderful and creative cook.
I mentioned that our stay was life changing. Turns out between my wife's hectic schedule (attorney) and my profession - we seem to live our lives saying Hi and Bye each day. Well, at Cactus Cove, my wife and I actually decided to spend time catching up. We talked for 3 hours one evening - it was the most peaceful, relaxing time we have spent in several years. When I mentioned this to Sally the next morning at breakfast, Sally kind of choked up. It was easy to see that, to Sally, running a B&B is more about serving people than anything else.
Every suite has a huge spa-tub. Every suite has a private patio with high adobe brick walls for privacy - and each suite has beautiful indoor showers AND outdoor showers. (that was a new one for us - very cool and very private.) The neighborhood is safe and spread out - great for walks, easy to navigate.
The common outdoor living areas, fireplace area, dining area and pool are huge....and gorgeous in their design. (Her design BTW - if you ask, she'll show you the before and after photos as she built this great home.)
Okay - enough said - you get the picture. Sally.....thank you so much. We will see you again.
Jeff and Carol.

Room Tip: Each suite is excellent in decor and similar in features. The Saguaro Suite is somewhat bigger and i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
You two are absolutely wonderful. It was such a joy for me to have you stay at Cactus Cove. You are one of the reasons I do this B and B. I enjoyed having you around especially that one of you grew up here in Tucson and understand the wonders of this place. It makes me so happy that you truly enjoyed your experience here. Thanks so much for this wonderful review. I look forward to your next visit.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I had never stayed at a B & B before. This was a great experience. Cactus Cove is a very quiet and private place. The owner is a warm and interesting person. The breakfasts were delicious and the room was very comfortable. We had a great stay in Tucson and will stay in this Bed and Breakfast again if we come to this part of the country again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
So happy to be your first Bed and Breakfast experience. It was my privilege to have you stay at Cactus Cove. You are a delightful couple. I look forward to your next visit.
Thanks for your nice review.
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have been visiting Cactus Cove regularly since it opened and have just returned from what has been at least our 30th stay. We have traveled extensively over the years and have high standards in our selection of accommodations. We can state without hesitation that Cactus Cove has never disappointed us.

The compound is compact and intimate. Unlike large resorts, that may be luxurious, yet somehow impersonal, Cactus Cove, in its also luxurious, yet more intimate size, seems to somehow reach out to envelop you in a big welcoming hug.

The inn is located in a portion of Tucson zoned for lots of at least three acres, giving it a rural feel, while still affording guests easy access to all the local attactions. The rooms are each decorated in their own Southwestern style with comfortable furnishings and all the amenities expected in an establishment of this quality.

The grounds are well kept and due to their rural nature, offer guests a good feel for the Arizona desert. Each room has a private patio and the large shaded veranda behind the inn is a most inviting location in which to relax or perhaps sit by the outdoor fireplace on a cool evening.

The morning breakfast is always a complete delight that reflects the great care that is given to provide the best possible service to guests. There are also many of those "small things" that are done that makes one feel so welcome; perhaps fresh flowers, cookies or other treats waiting in your room when you return after a day of adventure, etc..

Sally, the Innkeeper, is an elegant lady who truly enjoys what she is doing and spares no effort to please her guests. She is also fun to talk with and is a great source of information if one has questions about Tucson and things to do while there.

For anyone seeking an island of tranquility in the sea of chaos that often surrounds us these days, Cactus Cove offers an outstanding port of refuge.

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. Check the inn's website so you can decide for yourself.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Yes, you have stayed at Cactus Cove at least 30 times in the past 15 years. You are both a delight to have around. So naturally they have become my good friends. They love the desert. In fact they have hiked every single trail in the Saguaro Park East. You have enriched my life and it is one of the reasons I enjoy doing the B and B. I always look forward to your return visit as well as does my housekeeper Esther. I hope it will be 30 more times. You keep me smiling..
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

THE GOOD:

Very quiet, and the owner is extremely pleasant. The outdoor area is small, but inviting and oh, so relaxing. There are plenty of tables and chairs for outdoor pursuits, even a large gas-powered outdoor fireplace. There are a few small tables scattered around the property suitable for contemplative relaxing.

The rooms are equipped with most of the normal things (microwave, small fridge) and if you ask for something from the kitchen the owner is happy to provide it for you. I needed a blender and she brought one to my room for no extra charge.

Breakfast was always very good, and very upscale. Desserts were healthy, unique and delicious. And first. I love eating dessert first. All of the food was delicious and new to me. No restaurant is better, and most don't compare.

THE BAD:

We got a room (the room?) with a jacuzzi. There isn't a shower in the room, but the jacuzzi is equipped with a water-pik-style handheld sprayer. Outside of the room, inside an 8' brick wall, is an outdoor shower that I would have enjoyed. But it's kept turned off during the winter.

There was enough hot water to fill the jacuzzi (barely), and we kept running out of hot water. It takes an hour or so before the water is hot enough to rinse after using the jacuzzi, making me suspect an electric heater. The only way to keep the water hot is to leave the jacuzzi pumps running. Someone in another unit started pounding on the wall and I turned it off.

After we checked out and were driving back to our home state, the proprietor called my wife and said "No jacuzzi after 10:00." She couldn't call the room or knock on my door when I was bugging the other visitors?

I'm a bird lover and amateur photographer, and we were there during the winter. In areas nearby, there were a lot of migrant birds. The weather was excellent and I could hear the birds, but they stayed away from the property. There were large owl statues everywhere, and that might be the reason. A lack of nesting boxes and permanent bird baths might be other contributing factors.

If you like taking pictures of doves, there is a flock of white-winged doves that didn't seem to mind people. These birds spent a lot of time on the property, but I didn't notice too many other birds.

THE UGLY:

A disgusting, barely noticeable odor was always present in our room. We had to go buy some incense to keep it at bay. I thought maybe a rodent was poisoned and died in the wall, until our second day there. While shaving, I bent down to rinse and a puff of air from the sink drain hit me. It was sewer gas. This usually means that plumbing was installed on the cheap, and the contractor didn't install venting properly or to code. It's also a health issue.

I won't be staying at this B&B in the future.

Room Tip: Stay out of the blue room due to sewer gas smell. We think the Pink room is probably the best due to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
First I would like to thank you for the positive part of your review for Cactus Cove. I truly appreciate it. It makes me very sad though that I was not able to assist you in having an overall wonderful time at Cactus Cove. That has been my goal here for every guest.

In 15 years of having Cactus Cove I have never had a review like this. I pride myself in offering one of the most outstanding bed and breakfast experiences in the southwest and believe that the numerous positive reviews from guests from all over the world support that. I have never had any of your complaints from any other guests. Guests at Cactus Cove are very happy. That is why I am in this business- to make people happy. So I was quite surprised and apologize that I was not able to make you completely happy. You did not mention any of these items to me during your stay or when I specifically asked you about your stay so I was not able to more fully research your concerns at the time and take steps to address them while you were still here.

Specifically in response to your comments, the suite has its very own 50 gallon hot water heater which is the biggest I can have as a residence. Since Cactus Cove is a bed and breakfast and not a 100+ room resort, when you fill up the two person jacuzzi, it takes all the water out of that tank. Jetta Tubs guarantee tub staying hot for 1/2 hour. I suspect the issue was that you may have used that jacuzzi for many hours at one time. That is not how the equipment was intended to be used. In most resorts the jacuzzi tub jets automatically turn off after an hour. So possibly when you wanted more water, there wasn't sufficient time for the heater to re-heat the water from when the tub was originally filled. No other guests have complained of not having sufficient hot water so that is my suspicion for whey you experienced a lack of hot water. Based on your feedback, I will be sure to highlight how the jacuzzi uses the hot water for other guests.

When you checked in there was no smell in the room. I believe the smell may have been due to the length of use of the jacuzzi jets which added a lot of humidity in the room. I just had all the carpets in Cactus Cove cleaned the week before you came so think with the humidity it may have brought out the smell from the newly-cleaned carpet. It definitely had nothing to do with the sewer. Never had any issues or comments ever on that front.

The owls are placed around to keep the woodpeckers from pecking on the wood beams and wood soffits on the house. We have lots of humming birds here all year round. In fact on my website I have a picture of the babies born here. Last of the south bound birds migrate beginning in December. And then north bound birds migrate around the middle of February. You came just in between these times. I have had one guest count 25 different birds here at one time.

We had a record breaking cold snap the week before you arrived. Many pipes froze in the neighborhoods including my outdoor showers even though we had the pipes completely insulated. I attempted but was not able to get them fixed during your visit. Plumbers had so many pipes to fix. I apologize for that. I hope to have the showers available year-round by insulating still more.

I have had many nice reviews from people who have stayed in that very suite including the guests who stayed right before you. I also have many repeat guests. I believe that once they have come to Cactus Cove, they so enjoy themselves that they want to return. I am constantly looking to improve so have taken your comments to heart and will make adjustments such as explaining recommended use of the jacuzzi. Thank you for your feedback. I hope you accept my apology for not being able to make you happy during your stay and wish you well on your future travels.

S
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Being an objective reviewer, I usually don't give many 5's but in the case of the Cactus Cove B&B I simply must. This is a splendid B&B. Sally is an outstanding host. The grounds are lovely and very tranquil. We stayed here in 2002 and returned in 2012 only to wonder why it took so long to get back... This will be an annual trip for us now. We simply love the Cactus Cove and Sally's presence.
(BTW: the breakfast was 5 star!!)
Thanks Sally!!

• Stayed December 2012
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for this nice review. I so enjoyed having you return after 10 years. Hope it does not take that long the next time. You two are a delight and I look forward to your next visit. When you are my friends.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have stayed at Cactus Cove five or six times, and our most recent stay was the three days after Thanksgiving 2012. Our lovely host and now friend, Sally, had a fantastic vision of what this house could become, and it was her inspired idea to build the fantastic ramada of grand proportions with a handsome fireplace that frames the magnificent desert views. It is just sublime to linger on the richly carved sofas and enjoy the vistas from the ramada.

Sally has a keen eye for detail and chooses lively fabrics, super soft towels, heavenly fragranced soaps and lotions, and lush colors for the guest suites. Everything you need is provided from a desk, to a large television, to a small refrigerator.

The super cool feature of each suite is the totally private outdoor shower that is in an enclosed patio area in the rear of the suite. The mint fragranced bath products provide an extra tingle to the sensory experience of showering under the desert sky.

Sally is a effervescent hostess with helpful information about Tucson and the surrounding area, and her goal is to have each guest have a relaxing and fun stay.

The breakfasts are all very tasty and served in beautiful fashion on an ever-changing array of beautiful china and serving pieces. Special little afternoon treats are just that - delightful surprises and scrumptious too.

Sally has created a very special desert B&B, and we treasure each and every trip we've made there. Thank you, Sally for your vision and welcoming us to your home

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharktooth, Owner at Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
On this Christmas day I reflect on all my blessing this past year. Which include my many wonderful guests that have come to Cactus Cove. You two are on the top of my list. I have so enjoyed you staying here. You are right we have become friends. So look forward to your next visit. Thank you for enriching my life. Have a GREAT New Year.

Been to Cactus Cove Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!