“The Best Rock Shop Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 82 Shopping in Tucson
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Tucson, Arizona
“The Best Rock Shop Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've lived in Tucson for over 20 years, passed this place more times than I can count, and have made numerous mental notes to visit. Alas, today was the first visit for me! I took my two kids, ages five and seven - both aspiring geologists, and we were there for nearly two hours. It isn't huge - just intensely interesting. The most expansive selection of excellent local specimens I have ever seen, not to mention the array of specimens from afar.
The pleasant, good-natured gentleman who runs the shop impressed my daughter as "the nicest person in any store I've ever been in". Forgive the corny pun, but he is truly a Gem. He was so helpful and kind - we felt welcome to roam around and explore all the nooks and crannies of the shop without pressure of any kind.
My kids both have friends who are rock hounds, and I have already dashed off a dozen E-mails telling their folks about this place.
If you're in Tucson, don't miss the opportunity to visit Tucson Mineral and Gem World!

Seattle, WA
“Yeah...this one's the best. Period.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Been to a ton of rock/mineral/fossil shops, and this one is by far the most impressive. Many museum-grade specimens and artifacts. Tons of stuff, but very well-organized unlike many other shops I've been to. Rich was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with our questions and very polite.

Definitely stop by if you're in the area...the whole place actually feels more like a museum with price tags than a store and your own tour guide to answer any question you can think of. Just going there should be on a "things-to-do in Tucson list." We will definitely be stopping by again next time we're in town.

Arcata, California
“Literally the best rock shop I've ever been in and I've been in a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Extreamly nice guy who truly just had a love of rocks and minrals, he grew up there and his dad worked at the same shop before him. Truly a nice guy and quite affordable. I travel around a lot and love rocks and fossils so I've been to quite a few great rock shops but this one has to be my favorite hands done

Visited June 2013
“Best rock shop I've seen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Extremely friendly service, and a huge selection of very interesting stones, fossils, and artifacts. This place is a collectors dream as well as an awesome place for anyone with an appreciation for nature's beauty to visit.

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
19 attraction reviews
“Great Artifacts, Fossils, Rocks and Oddities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Rich and Ron are very hospitable and will take the time to explain whatever you want more education on; whether it is an artifact from South America or a fossil from New Zealand. Their enthusiasm for their passion is catching. I spent about an hour there mainly looking at the prehistoric indian collection and museum collections of pots, points and other items. Many metates and manos for display and/or sale about the store. Also of note, they actually had dinosaur tracks that you could hang in your office or man cave just waiting to be bought.

This was my third visit to this shop. Whenever I am in the area, I make it a point to go see what new and interesting things the R-brothers have acquired. If there is anything that you want for your collection, drop them a note and let them do their magic and you may just get what you are looking for out of one of the many dust filled nooks and crannies in the store or elsewhere, Drawers are packed full of recent acquisitions.

By the way, the dogs are nice touch as well wandering the store and being nice to the customers! My brother and I enjoyed this most recent store at this "Gem" in the desert!

Visited April 2013