“Gone downhill” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vila Thai Cuisine
9 East Congress Street, Tucson, AZ 85701 (West University)
520-882-8143
Neighborhood: West University
tucson
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When this restaurant first opened in the University area we were one of the first customers...it was fantastic. We returned several times. Then came the big move to downtown. On our first visit the wait was very long, but we did not mind as there is a nice outside patio. The food at that visit was just o.k, nothing special and not as good as it had been at their original location.....and VERY pricy. We returned 2 weeks ago to give it another try. There was only one other group in the place on a Friday night at 7:00 so we thought our food would be freshly prepared and hot. We got the drink "specials" that were 9 bucks each and they were just so-so, (looking for the booze in the drink, but found very little.) I ordered off of the new menu and got the portabello special. I was interested in seeing how they could put a Thai twist on it. They did not. My meal was plain, unspiced, and something that I could have made at home without even trying. a grilled muchroom, plain white rice and a few beggies. Very disapointing. My partner ordered a Thai noodle dish with shrimp. There was no sauce as it appeared to have all dried out and the noodles were so overcooked that they stuck to his fork in one big blob. We both thought the shrimp that was added did taste good. We are so sad that 2 trips produced 4 poor meals. We don't know what happened when they moved downtown, but it was not a change for the good. It is really too bad.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Tucson, Arizona
“Won't be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Heard about this place from L.A. Fitness but was very unhappy. I adore Thai food and this was an EXPENSIVE and UNIMPRESSIVE lack luster meal. I had out of town company. They lost our reservation so we sat in the middle of the rest with no privacy. We got undercooked food, boring pricy salads that came with what appeared to be canned salmon, a big black hair in my glass with no offer to recompensate for that. No apology and no fuss. Soup was tasteless and cold and the entrees undercooked. The whole meal was undesirable. Very overpriced and as I said in the tiltle, I won't be back -- ever.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Thai treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

New location for this upscale Thai restaurant. The owner helped us make wine and dinner choices, and they were all excellent. A great addition to downtown dining!

Visited April 2012
Tucson
“Great wine, great service, mediocre food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband and I went here with high expectations. We were immediately greeted by a friendly hostess, then our waiter. Our waiter suggested we participate in the wine tasting, which turned out to be excellent (although lacked any relationship to Thai food.) The problem started and ended with the food. It was bland. We ordered it spicy and it had heat, it just didn't have much flavor. Next time we'll eat first then sit at the bar and enjoy the wine and service.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“So disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011 via mobile

Wow, how I wanted to like this place. I love what they did with the patio, and was excited to finally have decent Asian food in downtown. Sadly, my family and I were seriously let down. First, we inquired about the drink special, which was a vodka special and the waiter had to go back and ask someone. He then told me about their infused vodkas which I naturally assumed were on the special. Not so when we got the bill, 9 bucks when I was expecting 5. The we ordered our food, pad Thai (passable but too salty) and green curry. No riceights with he curry. Waiter dropped it off and didn't return until food was cold. Finally got the rice and a lukewarm apology. Portions were quite small in comparison to other Thai restaurants we're used to. Had another problem with the bill besides the vodka; appetizer was charged at $2 more than the menu price. The waiter corrected it after it was pointed out, but it was weird: almost like he already knew it was wrong. Overall, prices were pretty high for Tucson and especially in comparison to other (much tastier) Thai food in town. Live music on the patio was a little on the cheesy side, but they did have baseball on a big flat screen which was nice.

I may try this place again at lunch in case they were just having a bad night, but at this point I'm still waiting for some decent Asian food downtown.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Vila Thai Cuisine? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Vila Thai Cuisine, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.